Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bakersfield "In God We Trust" Posters Hurray!!

"Civic Education is Fundamental"
    See posters at link below....

POSTER PLAN PASSES, 4-1
    Local high schools to hang revised design next year
    BY TARA MCLAUGHLIN, Californian staff writer
    e-mail: tmclaughlin@bakersfield.com | Monday, Nov 5 2007 11:25 PM
    Last Updated: Monday, Nov 5 2007 11:31 PM

After a seemingly contradictory and confounding string of motions and amendments, the Kern High School District board agreed to put thE phrase "In God We Trust" in every Kern High School District classroom.

Four members of the five-man board agreed to an amended version of trustee Chad Vegas' proposal to hang posters of the national motto with founding documents in all KHSD classrooms using a locally designed format. Board President Bob Hampton, who has said that spirituality should remain in the home and church and out of the public education system, opposed the measure.

Trustee Bryan Batey introduced a new poster, created by a local graphic artist, featuring the U.S. Constitution, Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights and both national mottos.

"Our motion tonight was to make sure we could have a civic education document that would be relevant, but also provide the history of the original motto, 'E Pluribus Unum,' and also our current motto, 'In God We Trust,' and to put those both into historical context," said Batey, who had been seen as the swing vote.

Batey first suggested an amendment that would not have mandated the display in every classroom, but this was shot down by other members. He then offered the second amendment. He said he was willing to discard the voluntary nature of the amendment in order to pass the vote.

Joel Heinrichs, who had stood against Vegas' original proposal, said he liked Batey's poster and the amendment was a "reasonable response" to Vegas' original policy.

Ken Mettler supported the final amendment.

"The point of this was to send a very clear statement to students," Vegas said. "... rights are given to them by God."

City Councilwoman Jacquie Sullivan approached Vegas with the idea of displaying a poster of the national motto created by a controversial conservative Christian group, American Family Association, in every classroom.

Sullivan had said that her nonprofit group, In God We Trust -- America Inc., would pay for the posters, But with the new policy, the district will no longer need her support.

She said she was happy with Monday night's outcome.

"We need to keep our identity and preserve the values that our country was founded on," she said earlier. "Certainly keeping God in our country is what we need to do. Not religion, but keeping God."

Dozens of citizens spoke on both sides of the issue to the board in front of about 140 people in the board room and an overflow area receiving live feeds of the meeting.

"This is our history," said Weston White, a student pastor in support of posting the motto. "God help us if we rewrite our history."

Speaking in opposition, Gatz Nieblas, a student at Stockdale High School, said that perseverance and hard work were also American values. "The First Amendment explicitly states that the government shall make no law supporting the establishment of a religion," Nieblas said.

Vegas has said his proposal was not intended to indoctrinate the district's tens of thousands of students in Christianity but rather to remind them of the country's history and engender patriotism.

But some high-profile actions hint at a pattern in Vegas' conservative religious influence in the district.

Since his run for the board in 2004, Vegas, now 34 and pastor of Sovereign Grace Church of Bakersfield, has shocked some with his loose comments. Remarks about letting the "book burning begin" after his election and calling opponents to his motto proposal unpatriotic God-haters forced him to backpedal.

He was critical of the previous board's decision not to censor Toni Morrison's controversial, sexual novel, "The Bluest Eye." He has called evolution nonsense and said he wanted to consider "intelligent design" in science classes. And he successfully changed the names of winter and spring breaks to Christmas and Easter breaks.

In other matters, the board voted four to one to approve a policy change introduced by Mettler to eliminate the flag-raising ceremony as a qualifying location for saying the pledge of allegiance. Acceptable options for reciting the pledge include first- or second-period classes or assemblies. Hampton voted against the change.

Proposed poster that would be in classrooms.
    View posters( There cool)
    http://www.bakersfield.com/102/story/277760.html

WE CAN TAKE OUR COUNTRY BACK ONE TOWN AT A TIME!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

The good news, is that the ACLU of course, will go ballistic and protest vigorously, and, of course, file a suit. Hopefully, this will keep the ACLU busy for a while in SoCal.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"The point of this was to send a very clear statement to students," Vegas said. "... rights are given to them by God."
    Double-take!!! AMEN
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

I have to tell you this really did my heart good for a change!!

Our children need to learn to be Proud Patriotic Americans, and if anyone coming to this country doesn't like it, get the hell out! go home or pick any other country of you choice, Thats one of the wonderful freedoms of American.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

This is so cool! Way to go Bakersfield!
    Let the ACLU protest it because it is more than apparent that TRUE Americans are tired of their anti American agenda and their rhetoric.
    If we have to have muslim footbaths and prayer areas in the workplace, then we can have IN GOD WE TRUST in our class rooms.

A little off topic, but if you guys want to have some fun w/ the Against Christ Leftist Union, send them a Happy Thanksgiving card and a Merry Christmas card. Make sure the Christmas card has the FULL nativity scene on it as well.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Be sure and check out the poster at the link.... Its cool,
    Has the Declaration of Independance, Bill of rights, Constitution....

The things citizens should be proud of willing to protect!

And "In God We Trust"

Sippy, you're as twisted as I am
    A little off topic, but if you guys want to have some fun w/ the Against Christ Leftist Union, send them a Happy Thanksgiving card and a Merry Christmas card. Make sure the Christmas card has the FULL nativity scene on it as well.
    Hey, I like that.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So very happy ...and Sippy sending them a card is a truely awesome idea....I think you have something there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    Hey, I like that.
    What a great Idea!!! Leave to "Sippy"

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    Hey, I like that.
    Thanks PhredE!
    I got this suggestion from reading a tag line off of worldnetdaily.com, and for the past three years I've done this.
    I make sure the card has a nativity scene on it with the words MERRY CHRISTMAS in huge letters.
    I haven't received anything in return yet, but I love knowing that I've probably offended some ACLU goon who got the mail.
    I make sure to spend a little extra on a confirmation of delivery receipt so I know someone there got it.

Hallmark MERRY CHRISTMAS card, $4.00
    Post office charges, $1.50

Offending every goon in the ACLU, PRICELESS....
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast