Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bernie Sanders, Citing AZ Shootings Asks for Donations

Citing Ariz. shootings, Sen. Sanders solicits campaign donations
    By Sean J. Miller - 01/11/11 04:53 PM ET

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders (I) issued a fundraising plea Tuesday in which he cited the Arizona shooting and accused "right-wing reactionaries" of contributing to a threatening political climate.

"Given the recent tragedy in Arizona, as well as the start of the new Congress, I wanted to take this opportunity to share a few words with political friends in Vermont and throughout the country," he wrote at the opening of the lengthy plea for campaign donations.

Sanders, who is up for reelection in 2012 and caucuses with Democrats, said that "threats and acts of violence" from "right-wing reactionaries" are intimidating people on the left.

The e-mail was sent to Sanders's supporters on Tuesday, according to the Weekly Standard, and was touted by the National Republican Senatorial Campaign Committee, which sent it around to reporters with the subject line "no comment."

It's an unusual move, considering most politicians canceled fundraisers and fundraising calls this week because of the incident in Arizona.

Sanders lists some of the threats and campaign rhetoric used against Arizona Democratic Reps. Raúl Grijalva and Gabrielle Giffords (D), who remains in critical condition after being shot in the head at a Tucson, Ariz., event.

Sanders asked, "In light of all of this violence — both actual and threatened — is Arizona a state in which people who are not Republicans are able to participate freely and fully in the democratic process?"

The first-term senator also cited conservative talkers such as Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity for expounding a "reactionary world view."

He called on Arizona Sen. John McCain (R) to "stand up and denounce the increasingly violent rhetoric coming from the right-wing." McCain issued a strongly-worded statement condemning the shootings after they occurred.

"Nobody can honestly express surprise that such a tragedy finally occurred," Sanders wrote.

He closed by asking for contributions to help defeat the GOP's "disastrous set of policies."

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/sen ... -donations

There has been no shortage of individuals and institutions that have sought to capitalize on the shootings in Tucson. Add Vermont senator Bernie Sanders to that list.

This afternoon Sanders sent out a fundraising appeal, seeking to raise money to fight Republicans and other “right-wing reactionariesâ€

I sincerely hope that the liberal people of Vermont have the option to choose better next term.

It is disgusting to capitalize on any tragedy in such way but in the case of Gabrielle Giffords I am feeling especially so. On information overload I had really not bothered to learn much about her. Since this mess I have reviewed videos of her speaking thanks to links here, on regular internet and being shown repeatedly on TV. Even without knowing her, when the news came over the radio I had a strong involuntary reaction to the news. Now that I have gotten to know her better through those videos I know that Gabby Giffords was absolutely precious. When she spoke I saw myself - strange - how? She seemed more sincere than any politician I have ever met. She seemed like a girl that we all knew from grade school - the A student who gets along with everybody and that the teacher relies on for help in the classroom. Like somebody who is dedicated to beng a true public servant. The kind of person we need much more of.

Given the huge disconnect between average Americans and the political class combined with the urgings of some in the media for citizens to hit the streets with rallies (that they of course will never cover) and protests to recent events the only surprise to me with this entire situation is that it is NOT connected to current events.
    Restitution to Displaced Citizens First!