BET touts record number of black Republicans running in Alabama

Republicans Phillip Brown, Bill McCollum and Tijuanna Adetunji
BET.com, the website of Black Entertainment Television, has a piece out this week touting the record number of black Republicans running for public office in Alabama this cycle.

11 black Republicans are seeking elective office in the state this year, compared to just one in both 2010 and 2012.
BET highlighted 9 of the 11. Here are a few of them:

Tijuanna Adetunji, Alabama House of Representatives, District 78
Adetunji is running against entrenched Democrat Alvin Holmes, who can’t seem to go a week without embarrassing himself, his District, and the entire State of Alabama.
She told BET she’s a Republican “because I personally fear God and consider my values when voting. It so happens that the values of this party are in agreement with mine.”

Pamela Blackmore-Jenkins, Alabama House of Representatives, District 46
Blackmore-Jenkins is running to succeed Republican Rep. Paul DeMarco, who opted to run for Congress this cycle. She’s facing off against Steve French, Justin Barkley, and David Faulkner in the Republican primary.

BET lays out her story:
The native New Yorker was a married mother of two before her high school graduation and was later a divorced mother of three. That didn’t stop her from going to college or earning a law degree in 2013. The Republican activist says she’s running for office because “I have always been a results-driven, no excuses, problem solver. People want results and I must deliver. I am a conservative that will take action, work hard, and bring people together.”

Phillip Brown, Public Service Commission — Place 2
Brown, Chairman of the Alabama Minority GOP, is running in a crowded field seeking to unseat Republican Public Service Commissioner Terry Dunn, who has gotten on the wrong side of conservatives on a series of issues in the PSC.
“I believe I will be a strong conservative voice for the rate payer in Alabama,” he said when he announced his candidacy. “Alabamians need someone to be a voice for them, not the environmental or Montgomery special interests.”

Darius Foster, Alabama House of Representatives, District 56
Small business owner Darius Foster is running against Democratic Rep. Lawrence McAdory, who was first elected in a special election in 2009.
“I believe that I can speak for all of the candidates highlighted and say that our courage to run for office is not only good for the State of Alabama, but also great for our respective communities,” Foster told Yellowhammer. “Our communities deserve options. When the Republican candidate is the better option, I hope that citizens have the same courage we have mustered to follow through as well.
Dispelling the myths about minority conservatives will take years to accomplish; however, providing solutions for our communities is needed now.”

Head over to the BET website to see the full list of Alabama candidates that they featured.
http://yellowhammernews.com/statepolitics/bet-touts-record-number-black-republicans-running-alabama/