Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bill to repeal ObamaCare tax hits 218 cosponsors

Bill to repeal ObamaCare tax hits 218 cosponsors

By Sam Baker - 06/14/13 06:04 PM ET

A bill to repeal a new tax in President Obama's healthcare law now has 218 cosponsors in the House — enough to ensure it would pass.
    The bill would repeal a new tax on health insurance plans, which is expected to raise roughly $100 billion over the next 10 years. Insurers and small businesses strongly oppose the tax, saying it will drive up premiums.

It's not especially surprising for a majority of the GOP-led House to support repealing the tax. The House has passed bills to repeal the entire healthcare law and to repeal or defund myriad individual provisions.Still, hitting 218 cosponsors is a key benchmark for the law's critics.

"This largely symbolic yet important benchmark for repealing the health insurer fee shows the level of bipartisan support in Congress to do away with this misguided policy," said Joe Moser, interim executive director of the Medicaid Health Plans of America.
    Reps. Charles Boustany (R-La.) and Jim Matheson (D-Utah) introduced the bill to repeal the insurance tax.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/health-reform-implementation/305741-bill-to-repeal-obamacare-tax-hits-218-cosponsors#ixzz2WUDTvbYE

I don't get this if it is largely symbolic why waste the tax payers time and money, when clearly the whole thing has to be repealed,or so they have been saying...Could it be they don't want it repealed? It seems they don't care since they are not bound to use it like the rest of us Joe Q Public!!!!
    I wish we could repeal the whole group all 535 representative's from the top to the bottom, or the very least strip them of there perks and government issued health care like the rest of us so they are forced to use what we use after all they work for us...What employee gets a better health care plan then the employer??? None that I know of...

Last edited by kathyet; 06-17-2013 at 11:28 AM.

I think the House as a whole cares more about Obamacare than the Senate does because they are up for re-election more often and hear about it from the folks back home. Part of the reason for passing this would be to let their constituents AND Obama know that they are still fighting to get rid of it. I really wish we could get rid of Boehner--he's a RINO if there ever was one. Also, we've got to work to get rid of Reid and the Dem majority in the Senate--then we should be able to get Obamacare repealed! However, I had a friend in college who used to say, "Should don't mean s**t!" IOW, it's what they really DO that matters!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)