Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bill Would Make It Crime To Live In U.S. Illegally

Hello All...I just received this from a contact of mine:

KNSD-TV - San Diego [POLL ON PAGE]

Bill Would Make It Crime To Live In U.S. Illegally

POSTED: 4:49 pm PST December 14, 2005
    UPDATED: 7:19 pm PST December 14, 2005

SAN DIEGO -- One of the toughest border security bills in a decade is expected to clear the U.S. House of Representatives by the end of the week, bringing the controversial bill one step closer to becoming law.

Currently, immigrants in the U.S. without a visa or green card are breaking civil law and often left alone if they make it past the border. The proposed new legislation would make it a violation of criminal law -- making it a federal crime to live in the United States illegally -- that is enforceable anywhere and at any time.

The security bill is setting off a heated debate

"There's always going to be an opening," a man at the U.S.-Mexico border told NBC 7/39.

Former U.S. Attorney Pete Nunez said that he has been asking for a bill strengthening immigration laws for almost two decades.

"It should serve as an incentive for some illegal aliens to depart because they now can be prosecuted," said Nunez. "Prosecuted easily."

The new law would effectively turn an estimated 10 million illegal immigrants in this country into felons, preventing them from ever being in this country legally because felons can't apply for citizenship.

"This measure is a very shortsighted measure," said immigrant-rights advocate Pedro Rios.

Rios told NBC 7/39 that the bill doesn't take into account the impact a mass exodus of illegal immigrants would have.

"I think it's a measure that would have disastrous affects to not only the state's economy, but also to the country's economy, because it's doesn't contemplate how migrants contribute economically, culturally and politically," said Rios.

Those factors include the low wages paid to illegal immigrants who do the back-breaking working that fuels the agricultural industry, as well as the workers employed in housekeeping jobs in hotels and homes.

Rios also said that logistically, the proposed law could not be enforced by the United States' already-overwhelmed system that is processing illegal immigrants. Rios questioned if the bill would really deter those who are desperate for a better life.

"It's worth it for the people with a yearning in their hearts," said Rios.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/5538302/detail.html

Merry Xmas!

xxjuanitaxx
    <div align="justify"><div align="left">[i]</div><div align="center"><div align="left"><div align="center"><div align="left">[i][i][i][i][i][b]WAKE UP AND SMELL THE FACISM!* IMPEACH THEM ALL!</stro

QUOTE:
    The new law would effectively turn an estimated 10 million illegal immigrants in this country into felons, preventing them from ever being in this country legally because felons can't apply for citizenship.

Well, they are FELONS! I hope this bill goes through. Thank you xxjaunita! This would make a great Christmas gift!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I'm sitting here listening to C-Span and have the BARF BUCKET right by my chair. You should HEAR these arguments from BOTH sides. A lot seem to be against but for different reasons. The Democrats are doing the bleeding heart routine and some of the Republicans are on the Guestworker tirade. I haven't listened long enough to be able to tell how it's going to go. I don't WANT to listen much longer!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

The debate seems to be going very well.

P

I thought it has always been a crime to stay in this country illegally! I guess making it a felony is going to change anything? They don't do a damn thing to these people anyway so even if they make it a capital offense it isn't going to make an anthill's worth of difference if they don't enforce it!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Why don't the idiots read the law books? They would save alot of time hashing over bills that are already laws. If its not a felony now, its a lesser crime--never the less, our government is still guilty of treason in that they are aiding and abetting illegal immigrants.

IGONORANCE IS NO EXCUSE FOR BREAKING THE LAW.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Junis makes a point. That withholding of fedral funds from states and cities that don't cooperate seems important.
    AMERICAN WORKERS FIRST -- A RAID A DAY KEEPS THE ILLEGALS AWAY

Rhino, it sounds really good. But unfortunately, they seem to withhold federal funds for the wrong programs and keep on passing them out for nonsense like supporting illegals who wouldn't be here if they had done something to stop them from coming years ago.

moot

This is a moot point, as crossing the US border without the benefit of customs is already a felony. By being here illegally you have no doubt made here in that manner

This law would address all those people who overstay their visas, or just hang after a vacation. g

But there are a couple big IF's here.
    IF they pass it.
    IF they enforce it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast