Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Birthright Citizenship: Setting The Record Straight

http://american-rattlesnake.org/2011/02 ... -straight/

What it means in the US, what other nations make of it, why it has no place in the country today. With a full complement of attentive listeners at the Penn Club’s elegant Tarnopol Room in midtown Manhattan, this month’s presentation by the Center for Immigration Studies offered analyses, figures and insights of legal policy analyst Jon David Feere, juris doctor.

The icy temperatures of a particularly cold winter’s eve did not prevent a full room of interested listeners. The stats rolled out, startling in their cumulative power. Feere indicated offhand, during the post-talk Question-and-Answer, that decades ago, the porous borders of our southern states let in some illegal aliens, but not at the rate and volume that have marked our current flood to such an extent that states bearing the brunt of this influx are either bankrupt or verging on insolvency.

While the figures are somewhat hazarded, an annual 300,000 to 400,000 children are born to illegals in the US, with the US then recognizing these territorial intruders in the legal thicket known as ‘birthright citizenship’ that hails from a misconstruction of the 14th amendment.

Temporary visitors, diplomat families and tourists–as well as, one supposes, extraterrestrials here for the bonfires of July Fourth or body probes–have all been the glad recipients of US largesse—when the application of the US 14thamendment was clearly intended for freed slaves and their progeny, or the Native Americans who of course predated the founding of the country in 1776.

Feere outlines in turn every country that permits a new citizen merely by the accident of a mother’s bearing a child while on US soil. Every other country has rather straightforward conditions for such a privilege, but no nation is so besieged by throngs seeking the conferred benefits and value of belonging as does the United States.

Those countries that once did offer automatic citizenship (Australia, Ireland, India, New Zealand, the UK, Malta and the Dominican Republic) have years ago rescinded those policies. Of advanced countries, says Feere, only the US and Canada grant automatic citizenship to offspring of illegal immigrants. It is worth noting that Canada, with a population of some 30 million, is far less overrun than is the US, with a current population of some 308 million, ten times the people, and ten times the worries, and seeming expenses, as our friends to the north...
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

That is none sense to think any person can illegally enter a Country, give birth to a child and the child becomes a citizen of birth Country. If immigrants have Visa Passports, I might agree that a child born on U.S. soil could possibly become a citizen, because the parents are legal guests. On the other hand, I believe every person should go through legal processing and earn citizenship of any Country. When undocumented aliens sneaks into this Country and refuse to leave, they should serve jail terms because of the criminal acts they perform. Not only breaking Country laws but, also commit acts of crime when they employ work positions, knowing they are illegal immigrants.
    When you aid and support criminals, you live a criminal life style yourself:

Personally I believe only citizen parents should be able to convey citizenship by birth. Be it natural or naturalized. Far as immigrants who haven't established citizenship I like the idea that at the age of 21 the kid can apply for citizenship if they so wish it. Felony criminal acts could shoot that down and one must prove to be a valuable member to society meaning non criminal and person non reliant on public assistance (only waivers for severe medical conditions).

Being a Veteran I don't take citizenship lightly. I never once thought citizenship was a right but a privledge. Its how it used to be but todays generation thinks everyone is entitled to everything.

The language of the 14th Amendment should be interpreted in the context of who is or can be a citizen of the United States. In the context of citizenship, illegals are under the jurisdiction of their home contries' governments, so they cannot convey American citizenship to their offspring.

The people who wrote the 14th Amendment were clear that it did not apply to foreigners, aliens, or the children of diplomats.

If any doubt remains, we need only look to the Oath of Allegiance which all legal immigrants must swear, to become citizens. The Oath reads in part, "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen."

We can of course enforce our laws on our territory. So we can incarcerate - or expel - people who break our laws. But incarcerating or expelling criminals does not transform them into citizens.
    ************************************************** ******************************
    Americans first in this magnificent country

American jobs for American workers

Fair trade, not free trade

Quote Originally Posted by vistalad
    The language of the 14th Amendment should be interpreted in the context of who is or can be a citizen of the United States. In the context of citizenship, illegals are under the jurisdiction of their home contries' governments, so they cannot convey American citizenship to their offspring.

The people who wrote the 14th Amendment were clear that it did not apply to foreigners, aliens, or the children of diplomats.

If any doubt remains, we need only look to the Oath of Allegiance which all legal immigrants must swear, to become citizens. The Oath reads in part, "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen."

We can of course enforce our laws on our territory. So we can incarcerate - or expel - people who break our laws. But incarcerating or expelling criminals does not transform them into citizens.
    ************************************************** ******************************
    Americans first in this magnificent country

American jobs for American workers

Fair trade, not free trade
    Thank you. How many ways can one define the intent of the 14th ammendment and not come away with the clarity of your post

Re: Birthright Citizenship: Setting The Record Straight

Quote Originally Posted by Shapka
    http://american-rattlesnake.org/2011/02/birthright-citizenship-setting-the-record-straight/

when the application of the US 14thamendment was clearly intended for the Native Americans who of course predated the founding of the country in 1776.
    This part here is wrong. The 14th amendment did NOT apply to the Native Americans. The reason given was that they fell under the jurisdiction of their Tribal Counsel and not the US Gov. It wasn't until years later that Congress enacted special, separate, legislation that gave Native Americans US Citizenship

Re: Birthright Citizenship: Setting The Record Straight

Quote Originally Posted by sugarhighwolf
    Quote Originally Posted by Shapka
    http://american-rattlesnake.org/2011/02/birthright-citizenship-setting-the-record-straight/

when the application of the US 14thamendment was clearly intended for the Native Americans who of course predated the founding of the country in 1776.
    This part here is wrong. The 14th amendment did NOT apply to the Native Americans. The reason given was that they fell under the jurisdiction of their Tribal Counsel and not the US Gov. It wasn't until years later that Congress enacted special, separate, legislation that gave Native Americans US Citizenship
    Ditto!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thanks for pointing out the error. It has been corrected.

http://american-rattlesnake.org/2011/02 ... omment-305

I should have done some better copy-editing on this one.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

Banned
    Also being a Veteran I have something to say about allowing illegals to become citizens. Yes I agree citizenship is a privledge and one not to be taken lightly. I also have deep reservations about granting amnisty to people who have broken the law in coming here. If we give them amnisty then we also give them the ability to enter the military. Do we want a military that is corrupted with persons who did not honor this country when they came here, had no respect for the laws and constitution here? Do we want to risk weakening the military by allowing persons who are out for only themselves and not in themilitary to defend this great country? We owe it to our families, to those who served, to those who gave their lives defending this country, the respect and dignity and not have our military and national security weakened by a foreign society who still has its loyalties deeply rooted to a land outside of the borders of the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by BillCunnane
    Also being a Veteran I have something to say about allowing illegals to become citizens. Yes I agree citizenship is a privledge and one not to be taken lightly. I also have deep reservations about granting amnisty to people who have broken the law in coming here. If we give them amnisty then we also give them the ability to enter the military. Do we want a military that is corrupted with persons who did not honor this country when they came here, had no respect for the laws and constitution here? Do we want to risk weakening the military by allowing persons who are out for only themselves and not in themilitary to defend this great country? We owe it to our falilies, to those who served, to those who gave their lives defending this country, the respect and dignity and not have our military and national security weakened by a foreign society who still has its loyalties deeply rooted to a land outside of the borders of the USA.
    Excellent points and I totally agree with you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast