Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Boston City Council: "Myths About Non-Citizen Voting&qu

Here is the text of a letter I sent to Boston City council objecting to the non-citizen voting rights proposal:

To Whom It May Concern:

As a citizen of the United States, I regard my right to vote as one of the most sacred and potent rights an American can exercise to have a voice in government operations. There is a distinct difference between a ‘non-citizen’ legally in this country, such as those with a lawful visa or a green card holder, and a ‘citizen’, such as, one born in America or a naturalized immigrant.

Maybe it is archaic to say in this day and age, but this country is an entity made up of citizens with a respect for and a desire to protect the constitution of this country. Most non-citizen immigrants will only be voting based on their individual needs and not those of the greater good of the towns, cities, or country because they have no such background or loyalty. Many do not learn English.

To grant voting rights to those who are not citizens is to give away a sacred right without requiring the commensurate responsibility. It is absolutely antithetical to the purpose of the constitution. I am appalled that such a law would even be considered by such a great city as Boston, Massachusetts.

Sincerely,

Oliver

Here's the response I received:
    Dear Ms. Oliver,

Thank-you for your email.

You and Councillor Arroyo clearly have a fundamental difference on this issue. For your review, I have attached a copy of the Councillor's proposed legislation. I also attach a fact sheet directly addressing the distinction we see between citizenship and voting rights. I hope you will review them to get a better understanding of the Councilor's motivation in introducing his legislation.

Summarizing, we believe that immigrant voting is not a substitute for citizenship, but rather a clearer pathway to citizenship which promotes both civic education and political literacy. Many immigrants want to become citizens but because of bureaucratic red tape must wait many years to complete the process. Councillor Arroyo's proposal would require legal residents wishing to vote in City elections to sign a legal affidavit promising to apply for citizenship "as soon as possible" and will encourage citizenship by ensuring that immigrants have a stake in their adopted communities.

I hope this email helps better explain Councillor Arroyo's proposal and that you will also review the attached documents. I am happy to discuss the details further if you would like.

Sincerely,
    - Jamie

Jamie Willmuth
    Chief of Staff
    City Councillor Felix D. Arroyo
    (617) 635-3115

Here is the proganda to support non0citizen voting rights:

MYTHS ABOUT NON-CITIZEN VOTING

"Voting is the essence of citizenship."
    The right to vote is about political power and not citizenship per se:
    • Blacks and women - who were citizens - were historically denied the right to vote.
    • In the U.S., immigrant voting rights were eliminated only during the late 19th and early 20th centuries at the same time literacy tests, poll taxes and other limitations on the right to vote were enacted. Taken together, these "reforms" combined to disenfranchise millions of people.
    • Advocates seek voting rights for immigrants on the local and state level, not nationally. One might agree that people should become U.S. citizens to vote in national elections, but immigrants are already members of their local communities and have all other responsibilities and duties of local citizenship.
    • Nothing in the U.S. Constitution explicitly ensures a citizen’s right to vote, which is precisely why so many amendments ensuring rights for certain persons have been needed over time. The qualifications for voters are left to states and municipalities.

"Giving immigrants the right to vote discourages them from becoming citizens."
    This is simply not true, for a number of reasons:
    • Many immigrants want to become citizens but because of bureaucratic red tape must wait many years to complete the process.
    • Immigrant voting is not a substitute for citizenship, but rather a clear pathway to citizenship which promotes civic education and political literacy.
    • Immigrant voting proposals require voters to apply for citizenship “as soon as possible” and will encourage citizenship by ensuring that immigrants have a stake in their adopted communities.

"Americans fought and died to defend citizens’ right to vote – why give it away?”
    From the American Revolution to Iraq, non-citizens have fought to defend American ideals:
    • Almost 70,000 foreign-born men and women currently serve in the U.S. armed forces. Of those approximately 30,000 are not yet United States citizens.
    • More than 100 non-citizen U.S. soldiers have died in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    • All legal permanent residents must agree to take up arms for the United States.
    • In 1971, the U.S. voting age was lowered to 18 in acknowledgment of the soldiers under 21 who were required to risk their lives for this country but previously could not vote.
    • In the Civil War, while the confederates opposed immigrant suffrage (many immigrants opposed slavery), a large part of the Union Army was comprised of non-citizens (almost 20%).
    • In both World Wars, Korea, Vietnam and countless conflicts around the world, legal immigrants have been active participants.

"We should just speed up the citizenship process."
    Supporters of non-citizen voting initiatives agree:
    • Immigrant advocates around the country have long argued that the United States should speed up the painfully slow citizenship process.
    • However, even were the naturalization process shortened to considerably below the current average wait of ten years, it would not diminish the reasons to allow residents the local vote regardless of their citizenship.
    • For many immigrants, applying for citizenship is a confirmation that they have come to feel "American" -- not the other way around.

"This idea is way ahead of its time."
    Boston would actually being following the lead of many other jurisdictions and legislative efforts:
    • Until 1926, twenty-two U.S. states and federal territories permitted non-citizens to vote in local, state and even federal elections.
    • In Europe, local voting rights for non-citizens go back as far as 1849. From 1963 through the 1980s, resident voting rights were instituted broadly in 11 European nations; they have been reciprocal among European Union members since 1992.
    • Amherst, Cambridge, and Newton Massachusetts have voted to approve non-citizen voting through the home rule petition process.
    • The State of Maryland allows non-citizens to vote in municipal elections in five towns, the City of Chicago allows non-citizen voting in school elections.
    • Similar legislative initiatives have been launched in many other jurisdictions, including New York, San Francisco, Denver, Washington, D.C, and Connecticut.

For More Information:

The Immigrant Voting Project:
    www.immigrantvoting.org

New Bostonians 2005 Demographic Report: www.cityofboston.gov/newbostonians/pdfs ... t_2005.pdf

For the Boston Globe story on Arroyo’s legislation:
    www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007 ... ilor_says/

For more information about or to obtain a copy of Councillor Felix Arroyo’s legislation
    to allow for non-citizen voting in City of Boston elections, please call him or his
    Chief of Staff (Jamie Willmuth) at (617) 635-3115 or email him at felix.arroyo@cityofboston.gov

Here's the legislation:

OFFERED BY COUNCILLORS FELIX D. ARROYO,
    CHUCK TURNER, CHARLES C. YANCEY, SAM YOON & MICHAEL P. ROSS

CITY OF BOSTON
    IN CITY COUNCIL
    HOME RULE PETITION

WHEREAS: Boston was founded upon the dreams, traditions, industriousness, and labor of immigrants and is currently home to over 150,000 immigrants, representing over 25% of the City’s population; and

WHEREAS: Immigrants constitute nearly 30% of the city's labor force, own more than 8,000 businesses in Greater Boston, contribute more than $1 billion annually in state and federal taxes, and generate $12.3 billion of economic activity in the region; and

WHEREAS: US Census data released in December 2006 showed that between July 2005 and July 2006, Massachusetts' population total remained relatively flat, with resident departures from the state offset by births and legal immigrants; and

WHEREAS: In response to projections that population losses may cost Massachusetts one of its 10 congressional seats after the 2010 Census, Secretary of State William F. Galvin has begun a campaign to ensure that all immigrants are counted and has reportedly “begun to use Massachusetts' unusually detailed voter records to attempt to create a list of residences for federal census counters to use that is as expansive as possible;” and

WHEREAS: Many legal immigrants have not yet obtained full citizenship status, and these new Bostonians are prohibited from voting to select the municipal representatives who make the policies that affect their daily lives; and

WHEREAS: Excluding such a significant portion of the City's population from full political participation undermines the health of our democracy; and

WHEREAS: Prohibiting voting by non-citizen but legal immigrants disenfranchises these City residents who pay taxes and is inconsistent with the fundamental American principle of "no taxation without representation"; and

WHEREAS: Amherst, Cambridge, and Newton Massachusetts have voted to approve non-citizen voting through the home rule petition process; and

WHEREAS: The State of Maryland allows non-citizens to vote in municipal elections in five towns, the City of Chicago allows non-citizen voting in school elections, and similar initiatives have been launched in many other jurisdictions, including New York, San Francisco, Denver, Washington, D.C, and Connecticut; and

WHEREAS: The Boston City Council believes it is appropriate that all of our legal residents, regardless of their citizenship status, deserve to have control over issues that affect their daily lives through the right to vote in municipal elections. THEREFORE BE IT

ORDERED: That a petition to the General Court, accompanied by a bill for a special law relating to the City of Boston to be filed with an attested copy of this order be, and hereby is, approved under Clause 1 of Section 8 of Article II, as amended, of the Articles of Amendment to the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, to the end that legislation be adopted precisely as follows, except for clerical or editorial changes of form only:

PETITION FOR A SPECIAL LAW RE:
    VOTING FOR ALL LEGAL RESIDENTS IN THE CITY OF BOSTON

Section 1. Right to Vote in City of Boston Elections.
    Notwithstanding the provisions of section one of chapter fifty-one of the general laws, or any other general or special law, rule, or regulation to the contrary, each and every legal resident that is eighteen (1 years of age or older who resides in the city of Boston may, upon application, have his/her name entered on a list of eligible voters established by the Elections Commission for the City of Boston and may thereafter vote in any municipal election. Non-citizen residents shall remain eligible to vote in municipal elections for so long as they remain legal residents in the city of Boston.

Section 2. Regulatory Authority.
    The Boston Election Commission shall promulgate all necessary regulations, guidelines, and registration forms to implement the purposes of this act. The voter registration forms shall include a declaration to be signed under pains and penalties of perjury by the applying non-citizen voter that: (1) the individual is a legal resident of the city of Boston and the United States; (2) the individual, in good faith, intends to become a U.S. citizen and intends to begin that process, if eligible. Each and every non-citizen voter who has signed this declaration shall remain eligible to vote in any municipal election as long as he/she remains a legal resident in the city of Boston.

Section 3. State and Federal Elections.
    Nothing in this act shall be construed to confer upon non-citizens the right to vote regarding any candidate for state office, any candidate for federal office, or any federal ballot questions.

Section 4. Severability.
    If any provision of this act or the application of such provision to any person or circumstance shall be held invalid, the validity of the remainder of this act and the applicability of such provision to other persons or circumstances shall not be affected thereby.

Section 5. Effective Date.
    This act shall be effective immediately upon passage.

Filed in City Council: April 11 2007

I did not even get a response from any of them
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I got the same thing last week.
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

Felix Arroyo is an amnesty advocate who spent much of last year in Venezuela where he has become a friend of Hugo Chavez. There is a question as to whether he will be able to remain in his office. The Boston Phoenix newspaper says that many feel he his desire to support foreign radicals has lost touch with his constituents.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I received the same reply. I than sent him a rebuttal and recived this
    Well, thank-you for reviewing the material.

We are certainly interested in reforms to streamline to citizenship process but this is largely a federal issue. We do not agree that allowing *legal* residents to vote in local elections will have any effect on "illegal fraud" or immigration more generally. We think it extremely unlikely that illegal/undocumented immigrants will risk signing a false affidavit (and having their name/information recorded in a publicly reviewable voter list) simply in order to vote in local elections.

It appears as if you and the Councillor will still continue to disagree on the merits of his proposed legislation.
    What horsepuckie!

We Bostoners ought to meet more often. Also is anyone driving to Washington DC on Saturday.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I received the same thing from two reps. I responded to both calling this guy un-American and suggested he should be recalled and have his voting rights removed. Now I am going to write a letter to the editor.
    The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Got this response this afternoon from Boston City Council member Jerry P. McDermott:

I am with you 100%.

Jerry P. McDermott
    American Citizen
    Son of Irish Immigrants
    Boston City Councilor

Well that is one !!! Wrote him back to ask that he speak with other members of the council to get them to understand what a detriment this would be to this city, this state and our country. Not to mention the fact that it is against the law.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

A response or two;

My letter to Councilor McDermott;

Do you want Boston to become the Illegal voting capital of the USA. Non
    Citizens should not be allowed to vote. Period!! It is un American and the news is traveling the united states now. I am planning a vacation to the east coast and am now going to bypass this city because of this. Americans vote in elections in America, not foreign nationals. Let me guess this idea is from someone who's illegal relatives want to vote. This is a stupid idea. Would Japan let you shape their politics?

His response;

I am with you 100%

Councilor McDermott

Another letter Different victim

> -----Original Message-----
    > From American_made
    > Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 1:01 PM
    > To: City.Council
    > Subject: Illegals voting
    >
    >
    > Illegals voting should not be allowed. It is a right for citizens
    > only!. Why should foreign nationals have the right to shape American
    > politics? This is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. Did
    > Kennedy think this up?

---- "Willmuth wrote:
    > Dear Sir,
    >
    > Thank-you for your email.
    >
    > You and Councillor Arroyo clearly have a fundamental difference on
    > this issue. For your review, I have attached a copy of the
    > Councillor's proposed legislation. I also attach a fact sheet
    > directly addressing the distinction we see between citizenship and
    > voting rights. I hope you will review them to get a better
    > understanding of the Councilor's motivation in introducing his
    > legislation. Senator Kennedy had nothing to do with this proposal.
    >
    > Summarizing, we believe that immigrant voting is not a substitute for
    > citizenship, but rather a clearer pathway to citizenship which
    > promotes both civic education and political literacy. Many immigrants

> want to become citizens but because of bureaucratic red tape must wait

> many years to complete the process. Councillor Arroyo's proposal
    > would require legal residents wishing to vote in City elections to
    > sign a legal affidavit promising to apply for citizenship "as soon as
    > possible" and will encourage citizenship by ensuring that immigrants
    > have a stake in their adopted communities.
    >
    > This proposal has nothing to do with illegal immigration. We think it

> very, very unlikely that illegal/undocumented immigrants will risk
    > signing a false affidavit and having their name included on a list of
    > eligible votes simply for the opportunity to vote in local elections.
    >
    > I hope this email helps better explain Councillor Arroyo's proposal
    > and that you will also review the attached documents. I am happy to
    > discuss the details further if you would like.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > - Jamie
    >
    > Jamie Willmuth
    > Chief of Staff
    > City Councillor Felix D. Arroyo
    > (617) 635-3115
    >
    >
    >-----Original Message-----
    From American_made
    Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 10:30 AM
    To: Willmuth, James
    Subject: RE: Illegals voting

When you want a donkey to move that won't you can lead it with a carrot
    but if you give it the carrot fist what happens? So you want your child
    to get A's in school, you decide to give him 20 dollars for each A he
    brings home. Do you give him the cash before he brings home the A? You
    do not put the reward before the goal. I don't know this Councillor
    Arroyo but you are damn right we have a difference of opinion. I am a
    patriot he is not. One of the most precious things we have is our
    ability to control our government through voting. Yet this individual
    looks at citizenship as some worthless commodity to just be handed out
    to all. I would bet you 5 bucks this individual has never even read the
    writings of Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson and some of the other signers
    of the constitution. Know the suffering these men went through to form
    this country and give him the right to vote, to just give away voting is
    sickening. Maybe this individual should have his voting rights removed
    as obviously they do not mean that much to this individual. This
    individual should be removed from office through a recall effort.

American_made
    American Patriot

Dear Mr. American_made,

Councillor Arroyo is and always has been both a patriot and a United
    States citizen. He is also very familiar with the writings of Franklin
    and Jefferson. Indeed, on the wall above his desk, is the Franklin
    quote "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
    temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

We also agree that voting is far from "some worthless commodity" and is
    certainly "one of the most precious things" in our society. Voting is
    *the* essence of our democracy.

However, we disagree that extending the right to vote in local elections
    to all legal residents of our City is inconsistent with those
    understandings. We view the proposal as akin to voting being extended
    to landless white men (1856), non-white men (1870), women (1920), and
    Native Americans (1924). Perhaps the closest analogy is the extension
    of the right to vote to adults between 18 and 21 (1971). In this case,
    it was recognized that those who are legally obligated to serve our
    country in combat (just as we ask all permanent, legal residents to do)
    should at least be granted the right to vote.

Thank-you again for your email.

- Jamie

Jamie Willmuth
    Chief of Staff
    City Councillor Felix D. Arroyo
    (617) 635-3115

Have not had to to respond but you can bet this is not over.
    The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
    Theodore Roosevelt

I sure hope you guys are seeing this one particular give away phrase!
    Summarizing, we believe that immigrant voting is not a substitute for
    > citizenship, but rather a clearer pathway to citizenship
    Sound FAMILIAR?

That phrase needs to be ripped apart in every return communication to these numbnuts!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast