Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Brave Dem Supports Voter ID Law in Alabama

Isn't it news when a black former Congressman from Alabama announces his support for that state's voter ID law, on the ground that widespread fraudulent voting suppresses legitimate voters' voting rights?

October 23, 2011

Brave Dem Supports Voter ID Law in Alabama

Thomas Lifson
    9 Comments

Isn't it news when a black former Congressman from Alabama announces his support for that state's voter ID law, on the ground that widespread fraudulent voting suppresses legitimate voters' voting rights? Artur Davis, who represented Alabama's 7th Congressional District, a black majority gerrymander required by federal civil rights laws, has done so, with barely anyone on the right lifting an eyebrow.

Writing in the Montgomery Advertiser on the 17th of October, Davis admits: http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/art ... |Opinion|p

I've changed my mind on voter ID laws -- I think Alabama did the right thing in passing one -- and I wish I had gotten it right when I was in political office. (snip)

The truth is that the most aggressive contemporary voter suppression in the African American community, at least in Alabama, is the wholesale manufacture of ballots, at the polls and absentee, in parts of the Black Belt.

Voting the names of the dead, and the nonexistent, and the too-mentally-impaired to function, cancels out the votes of citizens who are exercising their rights -- that's suppression by any light. If you doubt it exists, I don't; I've heard the peddlers of these ballots brag about it, I've been asked to provide the funds for it, and I am confident it has changed at least a few close local election results.

Hallelujah! First hand testimony from one who knows.

Davis credits Alabama's law with providing for voters who for whatever reason cannot get a driver's license. And he even chastises those who demagogue the voter ID issue:

I was disappointed to see Bill Clinton, a very good president and an even greater ex-president, compare voter ID to Jim Crow, and it is chilling to see the intimidation tactics brought to bear on African American, Democratic legislators in Rhode Island who had the nerve to support a voter ID law in that very liberal state.

So who is this guy?

Well, for one thing, he shares Barack Obama's elite educational background. He attended Harvard College, graduating magna cum laude, and Harvard Law School, cum laude. His career path followed a familiar elite law track into politics, featuring stops interning at the left wing Southern Poverty Law Center, practicing civil rights law, and serving as an assistant US attorney. He ran against anti-Semitic US Rep. Earl Hilliard in the 2000 Democratic primary, and lost badly. But thanks in part to support from Jewish and pro-Israel groups, Davis made a successful try for the Democratic nomination in 2002, and won his seat. He distinguished himself in Congress, getting a coveted seat on the Ways and Means Committee, and was the first member of the Congressional Black Caucus to speak against Charlie Rangel keeping his chairmanship, and the only member of the CBC to vote against ObamaCare, among other maverick stands for a Democrat in Congress.

He was also the first congressman outside of Illinois to endorse Barack Obama for the presidency, and seconded Obama's nomination at the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

Davis announced he was leaving politics following an unsuccessful bid for the Democratic nomination for governor in 2010. His vote against ObamaCare and other maverick stances generated criticism in his district that he was seeking white votes statewide. In other words, that he had the potential to be a crossover candidate, attracting a substantial white following, as opposed to a CBC lockstep leftist representing a majority-black district and beholden to the black political establishment locked into an adversarial posture on race.

Davis is now (surprise!) practicing law in Washington, DC, and no doubt successful at it. He remains a gutsy guy, honest, smart, and able to see the bigger picture. I certainly hope he continues to make his political views known. May his thinking continue to be independent.

Hat tip: Richard Baehr

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201 ... abama.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Maybe one that got away, and indoctrination did not fully take? Sounds like he is still a " closet " conservative waiting to fully " Come out." Proves there is still hope for some of them.

PICKET: Former Dem congressman and CBC member accused of looking to switch parties

By Kerry Picket
    Published on October 25, 2011, 06:30PM

Former Democratic Alabama Congressman Artur Davis ruffled feathers on Capitol Hill last week, when he wrote an October 17 Op-Ed for the Montgomery Advertiser where he reversed his long time position on voter identification.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/wat ... ber-accus/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by dsprtt
    Maybe one that got away, and indoctrination did not fully take? Sounds like he is still a " closet " conservative waiting to fully " Come out." Proves there is still hope for some of them.
    What do you mean by "some of them"?

I am BLACK AND CONSERVATIVE and WE ARE MANY. we don't all think with one brain.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by WhatMattersMost
    Quote Originally Posted by dsprtt

How many exactly? Cause I be needin' a whole lot of "them" Don't be to hard on em' Miss M not everyone can be as smart as a roofer!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned

Actually his being Black had nothing to do with my statement. The fact he adores Bill Clinton and supported Obama, went to Harvard , and claims to be a liberal , yet can actually admit that at least one conservative act is a move in the right direction , gives me hope he is not beyond salvation . By " some of them" I meant libs in general. This is his first step in the 12 step program , " I am Artur Davis , I am a Liberal, and I was wrong."

P.S actually I had the opportunity several times to make the statement " I would rather have one Black man with courage watching my six than be surrounded by cowards of any color." Did not go over well with some of " my own kind" , but then I have always been one to speak my mind , and I am still here.