Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Breaking News: Hazleton ruling expected today Thur. July 26

http://www.citizensvoice.com/site/news. ... 5154&rfi=6

Hazleton Mayor Lou Barletta is cutting a family vacation short and planning a press conference in anticipation that a federal judge will issue a ruling on Hazleton's illegal immigration ordinance tomorrow afternoon, the mayor said.

"We've waited a long time," said Barletta, who plans to speak at 4 p.m. in the Hazleton City Council chambers. "I'm anxious to hear the decision and move on one way or the other."

Hazleton has been at the heart of a national debate ever since July 2006 when it passed an ordinance punishing landlords and employers for doing business with illegal immigrants. A separate ordinance makes English the official language. Hundreds of municipalities around the country - and at least two dozen in Northeastern Pennsylvania - passed or considered copycat laws.

The American Civil Liberties Union and several other advocacy groups sued the city in federal court on behalf of several residents and community groups, arguing the ordinance infringed on the civil rights of Latinos and the federal government's sole authority to regulate immigration. A nine-day trial was held in March at the William J. Nealon Federal Building in Scranton.

Tomorrow's anticipated decision could set the legal precedent for whether local governments can pass laws dealing with illegal immigration.

Read more in tomorrow's Citizens' Voice.

Re: Breaking News: Hazleton ruling expected today Thur. July

Quote Originally Posted by LawEnforcer
    http://www.citizensvoice.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18628145&BRD=2259&PAG=461&dept_id= 455154&rfi=6

Hazleton Mayor Lou Barletta is cutting a family vacation short and planning a press conference in anticipation that a federal judge will issue a ruling on Hazleton's illegal immigration ordinance tomorrow afternoon, the mayor said.

"We've waited a long time," said Barletta, who plans to speak at 4 p.m. in the Hazleton City Council chambers. "I'm anxious to hear the decision and move on one way or the other."

Hazleton has been at the heart of a national debate ever since July 2006 when it passed an ordinance punishing landlords and employers for doing business with illegal immigrants. A separate ordinance makes English the official language. Hundreds of municipalities around the country - and at least two dozen in Northeastern Pennsylvania - passed or considered copycat laws.

The American Civil Liberties Union and several other advocacy groups sued the city in federal court on behalf of several residents and community groups, arguing the ordinance infringed on the civil rights of Latinos and the federal government's sole authority to regulate immigration. A nine-day trial was held in March at the William J. Nealon Federal Building in Scranton.

Tomorrow's anticipated decision could set the legal precedent for whether local governments can pass laws dealing with illegal immigration.

Read more in tomorrow's Citizens' Voice.

I am so nervous about this. Lou Dobbs is going to be broadcasting live from Hazleton tonight. I am saying my prayers that we win this one.

I will be watching these events closley. This could be the start of turning things around, even if we have to do it one city at a time.
    SemperFi

MSNBC just reported that the ordinance was struck down by the judge. More details to follow later. Of course, Barletta will be appealing--all the way to the Supreme Court if necessary.

Even if we had won this one, it still would not be a "win".

District court is simply the first step. Any verdict was going to be appealed, either by our side, or by the illegal sympathizers. It would have been nice to be going into the appeal with a win at district level, but I do not know if it will make that much of a difference in the end.

H.