Bush, build that wall, fence whatever. Pronto.
What are we truly going to resolve by placing a wall on our borders?
It may not protect us from citizens within who want to do us harm, but it will help to keep terrorist and illegal aliens out and they do us harm also of a different kind. Destroy our society
Build that fence as soon as possible in order to keep terrorist, illegal aliens and drugs our. Americans deserve nothing less.
No amnesty, no guest workers program, no citizenship or anchor babies who should be citizens of the country of their parents. Enforce all the laws and no new ones.
Save the U.S. A. for Americans.

The Walls Around Us
After my visit to China and the Great Wall with the American Forum for Global Education, I started thinking about the ways in which walls have been used around the world for both political and personal reasons. The lesson plan that follows seeks to identify and discuss the impact these walls have on society
1. Berlin Wall – In the 28 years (1961-1989) it stood as a grim barrier between East and West Berlin, this wall was the Cold war’s boldest symbol. The East German government that erected it claimed it was a protective barrier shielding its subjects from western agents and provocateurs. The West said the wall was a prison barrier, designed to keep people in. By 1989, the West’s view was vindicated: Once the wall came down, East Germany could no longer control its vassals and ceased to exist within little more than a year.

Security not just borders
1. By Gail Schoettler
Denver Post Columnist
Article Launched:05/28/2006 01:00:00 AM MDT
Some walls are beautiful, like the soft gold walls of the ancient Anasazi cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde. And the adobe walls of Tucson or Mexico City draped in purple bougainvillea. Or the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem, representing 2,000 years of Jewish history, hopes and prayers.
Throughout human history, walls have been used to keep others out - or in. Colorado's Supermax prison entombs our nation's most dangerous felons behind rows of razor wire and concrete. Gated communities are designed to protect their inhabitants from the rest of the world, keeping people both out and in. Walled compounds are a staple of Muslim societies, enclosing the family inside to keep them separate from the world outside. Medieval towns used walls to protect themselves from invaders. The Chinese built the nearly 4,000-mile long Great Wall of China to fend off Mongol hordes. The walls of homes are designed to keep out bad weather and dangerous people while defining a family's space. The Berlin Wall forced weary Germans to remain in a stark, gray, dismal Communist society.
But these walls may delude us. Gated communities cannot keep out a burglar disguised as a delivery truck driver. Medieval cities across Europe collapsed as attacking armies breached their walls. Prisoners have tunneled out of prisons. Even China's enormous Great Wall did not stop barbarian invaders. And I have a chunk of the Berlin Wall, bought for $5 from an enterprising Turkish immigrant in Germany, proof that this symbol of the Iron Curtain could not fulfill its purpose, either.
The proposed wall dividing Mexico from the United States will work no better to keep illegal workers from crossing the border to find jobs.
Determined people have always found ways around, under, over or through walls. They have beaten them down with cannons, hurled over balls of flames to destroy the cities behind, bombed them from airplanes above, tunneled beneath them, and driven through them. So, it's puzzling that Congress thinks spending millions of dollars on a wall to ward off illegal immigrants will work any better than all the other walls in modern or historic times.
Both the U.S. House and Senate have included border walls in their immigration reform bills. This may reduce the flow of illegal immigrants across the desert. But, like a balloon, if you squeeze one place, it pops out another. Driven people will find a way to fly over the wall, just like illegal drugs are flown into America. Or a way around the wall by sea, like Cubans and Haitians and Chinese laborers. Smuggling people pays well. Getting into the United States is the prize to be won. A wall is just another obstacle.
It would make more sense to spend that money on what really matters for our security, such as deploying enough guards to thoroughly patrol our borders rather than asking the National Guard to shoulder yet another task that takes them away from their responsibility to protect Americans in times of war or catastrophe. Far better to have trained border guards than the vigilante Minutemen priding themselves on slap-dash border protection. Next, invest in more high tech surveillance equipment to monitor movements across the border.
Put that money into replacing the billions of dollars of National Guard equipment - trucks, backhoes, weapons, medical supplies - that have been left behind in Iraq. Roughly half of the National Guard's equipment, meant for emergencies at home, is in Iraq. So much for the ability of the National Guard to protect people facing another Katrina or mob violence or epidemics or tornadoes.
Invest in the vaccines and readiness training that will save millions of Americans in case of another global flu pandemic.
National security is not only about borders. It is about preparedness for all threats to our society. Instead of pandering to voters in this election year with a border panacea that has never in history worked, Congress should invest in the people and technology that really make a difference for our national security - both along the border and elsewhere.

.1. Mending Walls—keeping their word
by David @ 1:34 pm. Filed under Guard the Borders, Do the Right Thing, No More Bullshit!, Walls and Fences Although the very idea of keeping one’s word is a “wall” our entire society needs to mend, what of our leaders? Isn’t their responsibility as examples, as leaders important? What of the oath of office President Bush (and before him, Clinton, Bush I and President Reagan, et al) took upon ascending to office?
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.”
How does that square with the last 30 years’ pandering to illegal aliens? Was Reagan actually “faithfully execut[ing] the office of President of the United States” when he extended amnesty to a whole class of outlaws any more than President Bush is proposing doing today with his “guest worker” de facto amnesty? In what way is welcoming an alien invasion preserving, protecting and defending the Constitution or even the peoples of the United States? Doesn’t his oath obligate him to do everything within his power to protect our borders, enforce our laws and protect the rights of citizens? How is President Bush NOT in violation of his oath of office?
Can anyone explain that to me? I mean without using nonsense?
And what of our congresscritters?
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.”Again, does surrender to a foreign invasion (or aiding and abetting in the breaking of our laws and the violation of our borders, our national security and the rights of our citizens) constitute “fully discharg[ing] the duties” of a congresscritter?BTW, besides congresscritters, the second oath is also taken by the vice president, cabinet officers, judges and justices, military officers, and all other civil federal employees. How then can any of them who do not forcefully and faithfully pursue arrest and deportation of ALL illegal aliens NOT be in violation of their oath. Where are the federal LEOs in all this?
Make careful note of those politicians who deem their oaths of office to be simply words, not binding contracts to be held to. Watch those who go whoring after plaudits (or attempting to avoid jeers) from Mass Media Podpeople by pandering to the noise demanding open borders. Look carefully at the words and deeds of those who have for many years done everything in their power to weaken this country. While I would suggest that the best solution for such behavior would be trial (and conviction) for treason, perhaps the best we can hope for is that you, and everyone you can influence, do everything in your power to throw the bums out!
Voting them out, petitions, even impeachment (and yes, as steadfastly as I have supported President Bush in the past, I am compelled to say that I believe his surrender to the invasion forces is a “high crime” indeed… *sigh*). Whatever we can do to get rid of them is not enough, and whenever we can get rid of them not soon enough.
And we–we need to keep our words true. Commit to working to throwing the bums out and work to make it so.
I could go for a better policy on illegal immigration, along the lines of the soft-on-illegals and those who aid and abet in their crimes (*heh*) policies suggested by Brian Bonner [N.B. Buster kindly pointed out in comments that it was he who authored the points below, and the post at The Uncoorperative Blogger was a crosspost from his blog, InMuscatine. Thanks for showing me the error of my ways, Buster