Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

C-Span Arizona's SB1070 9th Circuit Court Hearing Today

This hearing will be televised on C-Span At 12:00 ET and 9:00 Pacific time today. I thought we could use this thread to post our comments as we watch it.

9th Circuit Court to hear AZ immigration enforcement law
    Today

Today, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit Court is scheduled to hear an oral argument in the case, USA v The State of Arizona.

Intended as a direct aim at confronting illegal immigration in Arizona, Gov. Jan Brewer (R-AZ) signed into law a bill that allows police to search anyone they suspect of being in the country illegally. In July, U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton blocked a key provision of the law from taking effect.

The case involves the constitutionality of Arizona's Senate Bill 1070, which requires state law enforcement officers to check a person's immigration status under certain circumstances, and authorizes arrests where there is probable cause to believe that the person has committed an offense making him/her removable from the United States.

The U.S. government, arguing that SB-1070 was preempted by federal statutes, sought a preliminary injunction to block enactment of the law. The preliminary injunction was granted in part and denied in part by the U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona.

The State of Arizona and its governor have appealed, seeking to remove the injunction imposed by the district court on certain portions of SB- 1070. Other provisions of the law not subject to the injunction, went into effect July 29, 2010

Oral Argument: C-SPAN at Noon ET
    AOL News: D-Day for AZ's Immigration Law
    Politico: AZ Draws difficult panel AZ Senate Bill 1070 9th Circuit Website on Case

http://www.c-span.org/
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If you don't get C-Span, you can watch this hearing live on your computer. At the link, click on Live tv/radio written in red at the top right on the menu bar.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thanks Tinybob

Personally I think I will skip this episode cause I already know how it ends. I will wait for the sequel instead (US Spreme Court) which should be very interesting.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

The court is now on break for 15 minutes. Not sure if they are coming back to this case or not, but to me it's not looking good for the Obama administration. Of course, we don't know how this court will rule, but all three judges seemed to be raking the administration's attorney over the coals and look to be helping Arizona argue their case. We'll see.

9th Circuit Court hears AZ immigration enforcement law
    Today

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit Court has finished hearing an oral argument in the case, USA v The State of Arizona.

Intended as a direct aim at confronting illegal immigration in Arizona, Gov. Jan Brewer (R-AZ) signed into law a bill that allows police to search anyone they suspect of being in the country illegally. In July, U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton blocked a key provision of the law from taking effect.

The case involves the constitutionality of Arizona's Senate Bill 1070, which requires state law enforcement officers to check a person's immigration status under certain circumstances, and authorizes arrests where there is probable cause to believe that the person has committed an offense making him/her removable from the United States.

The U.S. government, arguing that SB-1070 was preempted by federal statutes, sought a preliminary injunction to block enactment of the law. The preliminary injunction was granted in part and denied in part by the U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona.

The State of Arizona and its governor have appealed, seeking to remove the injunction imposed by the district court on certain portions of SB- 1070. Other provisions of the law not subject to the injunction, went into effect July 29, 2010

I believe in the power of prayer.

SB1070 Arguments Under Way In California
    Brewer, Pearce, Horne Attend Hearing
    Pat McReynolds, CBS 5 News

POSTED: 6:16 am MST November 1, 2010
    UPDATED: 9:26 am MST November 1, 2010

SAN FRANCISCO -- The Ninth District Court of Appeals in San Francisco is currently hearing arguments on Arizona's immigration law that could ultimately reinstate the intent of Senate Bill 1070.

Lawyers representing Arizona began stating their case to three federal judges beginning at 9 a.m. Arizona time, as they attempted to have overturned the injunction that gutted the original SB1070.

Regardless of how court rules, both sides are gearing up for the next step in the fight in the country's highest court.

SB1070 lost its teeth in July when U.S. District Court Judge Susan Bolton amid much public outcry struck down the provision that made it mandatory for officers to detain people suspected of being in the U.S. illegally while the officer verified their immigration status.

She argued the provision would overwhelm the system and the whole law might violate federal authority to enforce federal immigration law.

That temporarily allowed Arizona's immigrant population to claim victory.

But after Monday's hearing, the Ninth District Court of Appeals basically will have four options: it could overturn Bolton's injunction; rewrite all or parts of it; send the case back to Bolton to review and revise; or keep the injunction in place.

In the courtroom Monday, but with no authority to testify or influence the proceedings, will be Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer.

"It's important to continue to govern and do your job and do what people expect along with campaigning," Brewer said." I have chosen to go to San Francisco. I was here when it was first heard and I'm gonna be at Ninth Circuit. It's important that I'm there."

Two of the three appeals judges were appointed by conservatives, and two of them are Hispanic.

If the injunctions are lifted, law enforcement officers in Arizona will be expected to enforce the SB1070 almost immediately.

"If not, I'm prepared to take it all the way to the Supreme Court," Brewer said.

A ruling is not expected Monday. After arguments from both sides, the court will take at least a week, maybe two, to make a decision.

Also attending the hearing will be state Sen. Russel Pearce, R-Mesa, the author of the bill, and state attorney general candidate Tom Horne, who would be responsible for representing the state if he wins his race Tuesday.

Pearce introduced SB1070 on Jan. 13, and Brewer signed it into law on April 23. The U.S. Department of Justice on June 6 sued Arizona to stop the law from going into effect.

Then on July 29, Bolton basically gutted SB1070 and a meeker version became law.

That's when Arizona appealed to the Ninth District Court of Appeals.

http://www.kpho.com/news/25591132/detail.html