Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hello, CaliVoter, it's an honor to meet you.

For the rest of us, could you please explain what a "dual citizen exemption" is? Thank you.

[Quote:
    "I was not eligible for Selective Service during Vietnam War, because I had a dual citizen exemption."]
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Dual Citizenship

Because I was born in Japan - that made me a Japanese citizen by birthplace.

BUT I was technically born on US soil (US Air Force base in Japan).

So at birth I was given both citizenships.

Because I had Japanese citizenship, it was an "out" for the draft (it's a draft exemption to be a "foreign" citizen).

A previous generation of Japanese Americans was the 442nd Regimental Combat Team (US Army's most decorated unit) - all Japanese American, with their parents, brothers and sisters in prison camps in the US. They wanted to prove Japanese Americans were loyal Americans - they proved it with their blood. So I was going to do the same.

When my father found out I had renounced my Japanese citizenship to make myself eligible for the draft, he just about kicked my butt. But the draft had ended before I turned 18.

Re: My immigration story

Calivoter, it's great to have to have a true patriot like you on board. Welcome and thanks for your service. I was wondering about this:

Quote Originally Posted by CaliVoter
    My father was born in Los Angeles of naturalized Japanese parents.
    I thought Japanese immigrants were not allowed to naturalize until 1952. Previously the only way for Japanese to become a US citizen was to be born in the US. So wouldn't your Grandparents be either legal immigrants (not citizens), or they were born in the US?

I was born in Japan but on a US Air Force base - so I had dual citizenship.
    I assume you had Japanese citizenship because your mother was Japanese, and not because you were born in Japan, in other words Japan does not have a birthright citizenship policy like the US does, correct?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thank you, CaliVoter, for the excellent explanation, and Welcome! I have read about the very impressive all-Japanese unit in WWII.

Unfortunately, not all (including some native-born, single-citizenship Americans) are as patriotic as they and you. Although we now have an all-volunteer military, the vast increase in the numbers of "dual citizens" within the U.S. population compared with former times raises a concern that an additional benefit of this categorization (besides getting to vote in two sets of national elections) is that, based upon what you wrote, "dual citizens" are exempt from our draft should we need to reinstitute one in a time of national emergency. I wish there were a way to get legislation that would require "dual citizens" to have to choose allegiance to one country upon reaching age 18.

Re: Dual Citizenship

Quote Originally Posted by CaliVoter
    Because I had Japanese citizenship, it was an "out" for the draft (it's a draft exemption to be a "foreign" citizen).
    That is why many Korean women come to the US to give birth today, so that if they have a son, he will be a dual citizen and not have to serve in the South Korean military which is mandatory for Korean citizens. Not very patriotic for them I would say.

I believe you make stand - stand for something

I just couldn't deal with the thought of "dual" loyalties. It's just not in my nature. You're either an American or you're not. If you are an American, you have some responsibilities for that privilege. I couldn't remain a Japanese citizen - I cannot take good pictures, mow lawns correctly and I drive way too fast.

Please forgive my corniness

I really didn't mean to come off patting myself on the back. Not my intent.

Americans of every race have demonstrated with the ultimate sacrifice (their lives) their loyalty

I didn't even come close to ever risking my life and did not intend to claim I'm a patriot at all - I'm believe in this country and our people - but the real deal are those that served and are serving - which is not me.

I was just making a point - being an American means sacrifice and those who just want to take without putting in, shouldn't be here.

I haven't done a thing - my father and his peers sure did. I was just trying to honor their demonstrated commitment - again, I haven't done a damn thing but I'm willing to.

Calivoter, it's great to have to have a true patriot like you on board. Welcome and thanks for your service. I was wondering about this:

ME - to clarify, I never served - all I did was just make myself eligible for the draft. I didn't want to get drafted (let's be honest here), BUT based on what Japanese-American men did in WWII, which was volunteer, I felt compelled at least make myself eligible.

CaliVoter wrote:
    My father was born in Los Angeles of naturalized Japanese parents.

I thought Japanese immigrants were not allowed to naturalize until 1952. Previously the only way for Japanese to become a US citizen was to be born in the US. So wouldn't your Grandparents be either legal immigrants (not citizens), or they were born in the US?

My grandfather was a legal immigrant - (he got natrualized post 60's as did my mother).

My grandmother was born in Los Angeles as well as my dad... I think grandma was born at Queen of Angels, my dad White Memorial.

Quote:
    I was born in Japan but on a US Air Force base - so I had dual citizenship.
    I assume you had Japanese citizenship because your mother was Japanese, and not because you were born in Japan, in other words Japan does not have a birthright citizenship policy like the US

Understand that Japan is somewhat if not outwardly, a racist country. At that time, "half-breeds" were discouraged. LOL - despite my being 100% Japanese blood technically - the fact that I had an American father makes me a Gai-jin (also, I'm a mutant - I'm 6 foot 3)

I'm sure my birth mother and the fact that I was born in Japan is what done it. But Japan for sure does not have an "anchor baby" type of law, where Arnold and Maria sneak into Japan, have a kid and it's a Japanese citizen - so I do think you're right in the sense that my mother was Japanese, BUT I had been born in US continent, I would not have Japanese citizenship.

Thanks Calivoter,

I just wish we had more patriot immigrants like you and your ancestors!

I was at "Biglots" the other day, one of my favorite bargain retail places to stop by, and there was some people there speaking in spanish and I noticed that their little kids were speaking in spanish and I just kept thinking how those kids really should be speaking in english because its families like that, that do not assimilate and teach their children to not assimilate that further stress our public schooling finances and other things to cater to it, and its wrong. When I was younger, I was taught english and spanish in the home and both was used subsequently together so that I could fluently speak both. I think that there should be some kind of rule that if youre going to live in America and send your children to school here then you and your family need to learn english and blend into our society instead of come here and grasp it with your own culture and demand instead, that people learn your language.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12