Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

A Calif. Reader Says Charge Immigrants for Engl. Instruction

Saturday Forum

A California Reader Says Charge Immigrants For English Instruction!; etc.

Re: Joe Guzzardi’s Column: Lodi School Budget Deficit Tied Directly To Immigration
    http://www.vdare.com/guzzardi/100122_vfl.htm

I spent 14 years on school boards and saw little progress in the language assimilation of many, if not most, of the Hispanic children. The English as a Second Language and English language earner system that is presently used in our school system does not work.

Since the students aren’t learning, the answer is to make them pay at least a modest fee to take the burden off the taxpayer. Non-English speaking parents should also be mandated to English classes

The consequences of Hispanic K-12 students not mastering English is dire. In a conversation with a Board member from the Fresno District, he mentioned that the school is being taken over by the state because of so-called fiscal irresponsibility.

In reality, my source identified unfunded mandates like ELL, ESL and other Hispanic related programs such as gang mediation that led to its near bankruptcy. Fresno spent well over $150 million per year educating the Hispanic population. And each year the test scores were worse and the budget crisis deeper.

California cannot educate students from hundreds of cultures. It’s nuts to pretend it can. Which is easier: catering to immigrants’ individual needs or insisting the immigrants assimilate?

Talking about getting immigrants out of those ever present shadows is one thing but doing something about it is another. The best way for them to come out is to learn English.

Maple, a roofer, lives in the San Joaquin Valley.

http://www.vdare.com/letters/tl_013010.htm#b1

(go to other links within the original letter at the source link above)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I thought the messiah said we should all learn spanish.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

In my hometown, Waukegan, IL, the park district offers Spanish classes - so that we can learn to communicate with those around us. And my taxes pay for it.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Re: A Calif. Reader Says Charge Immigrants for Engl. Instruc

I spent 14 years on school boards and saw little progress in the language assimilation of many, if not most, of the Hispanic children. The English as a Second Language and English language earner system that is presently used in our school system does not work.
    This is the "learn English" component of "Comprehensive amnesty". In other words it's just another giant government lie, spread by traitors like Schumer, Graham, and Gutirrez.

They should pay and then maybe it would be more desirable for them to learn. When my relatives immigrated to Canada after WWII yu learned to speak at work, from others and from TV. If you wanted more then you went to night school and paid for it. If you were 15 and under you went to school. Heck when I started kindergarden I couldn't speak English even though I was born in Ontario and there was no English as a second language program. It was sink or swim back then.

Quote Originally Posted by swatchick
    They should pay and then maybe it would be more desirable for them to learn. When my relatives immigrated to Canada after WWII yu learned to speak at work, from others and from TV. If you wanted more then you went to night school and paid for it. If you were 15 and under you went to school. Heck when I started kindergarden I couldn't speak English even though I was born in Ontario and there was no English as a second language program. It was sink or swim back then.
    Same with me sawtchick, no ESL and NO being taught in Spanish, it was total immersion and though hard, it forced me to learn or get left behind.

It's a sad thing that Spanish- speaking people of today are perceived to be so dumb that they have to be taught in Spanish, that they are incapable of learning English. Nothing could be further from the truth, but when you cater to one segment of the population, there is no incentive for them to improve themselves. It keeps them down and they don't realize it. Makes it easier for their own kind to rip them off.

Been there, today I speak with no foreign accent. Everyone in this country should speak English, woe on those who don't.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    Same with me sawtchick, no ESL and NO being taught in Spanish, it was total immersion and though hard, it forced me to learn or get left behind.

It's a sad thing that Spanish- speaking people of today are perceived to be so dumb that they have to be taught in Spanish, that they are incapable of learning English. Nothing could be further from the truth, but when you cater to one segment of the population, there is no incentive for them to improve themselves. It keeps them down and they don't realize it. Makes it easier for their own kind to rip them off.

Been there, today I speak with no foreign accent. Everyone in this country should speak English, woe on those who don't.
    The fear of being ripped off by their own used to be a major incentive to learn English and be able to communicate and learn from others.

The fear of being ripped off by their own used to be a major incentive to learn English and be able to communicate and learn from others.
    EXACTLY! Thank you!
    "