Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

California’s DREAM Act Brings Sharp Criticism From Opponen

Only 30 percent of white voters approve of the new law, which grants illegal immigrants the same financial aid for college as legal citizens.

By Britt Middleton

Posted: 11/19/2011 02:31 PM EST

The immigration debate in California is one that has only intensified in recent years, and now that the state has passed a new law granting financial assistance for college to illegal immigrants, many California voters are voicing their disapproval.

According to a new survey conducted by University of Southern California Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences and The Los Angeles Times, only 30 percent of white voters support the California DREAM Act compared to 79 percent of Latinos. The cost of state education weighed heavily in the racial divide: more Latinos polled said they feel they may be unable to afford university education when compared to whites.

Gov. Jerry Brown approved the DREAM Act last month amid sharp criticism from state Republicans. The bipartisan survey found that 53 percent of registered Democrats supported the new law while only 23 percent of Republicans did. "It's morally wrong. We have just created a new entitlement that is going to cause tens of thousands of people to come here illegally from all over the world," said Assemblyman Tim Donnelly, a Republican who represents the San Bernardino region.

Beginning in 2013, Eligible illegal immigrants accepted by state public universities will have access to the same financial aid as legal citizens through Cal Grants, a taxpayer program that last year gave financial aid to more than 370,000 low-income students. It also permits students to obtain fee waivers in the community college system. Students will have to meet certain requirements to be eligible, including having graduated from a California high school after attending school in the state for at least three years and providing documentation to show they are in the process of applying for citizenship.

Separately, in the state of Alabama, Blacks and Latinos have banded together to fight a controversial immigration law that that, among other provisions, requires state and local law enforcement officials to verify a person’s immigration status during routine traffic stops or arrests, if they feel “a reasonable suspicionâ€

Banned
    It's time our courts and judges enforced our laws,instead of trying to circumvent them!

I wonder who the ignorant 30% of voters that would approve of that law is??

Does Cali still allow for Affirmative Action to be used for admittance purposes?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The people of California need to stand up and rescind this bad law!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel43
    If you are going to come on this board and accuse me of being pro-illegal immigration, I want to see proof of your accusations.
    The Lord is my Sheperd, I shall not want.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyYuma
    If you are going to come on this board and accuse me of being pro-illegal immigration, I want to see proof of your accusations.
    Ive never spoken of, mention, or addressed you before. Why are you attacking me?

Ive never spoken of, mention, or addressed you before. Why are you attacking me?
    He's from Cali. and sounds like Sean Connery! Don't worry Johnny is a good guy. And Welcome to Alipac! And California would rescind this law, only there's only like 7 people left there that aren't illegal, Johnny's one em'
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    I think he was just using a little satire .... Wecome to ALIPAC TS

Quote Originally Posted by stevetheroofer
    He's from Cali. and sounds like Sean Connery! Don't worry Johnny is a good guy. And Welcome to Alipac! And California would rescind this law, only there's only like 7 people left there that aren't illegal, Johnny's one em'

Thanks Steve. Remember the Alamo!
    The Lord is my Sheperd, I shall not want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast