Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California newspaper asking"Now I Want to Hear Your Opi

The Daily Bulletin out of Ontario, CA is asking this question. Let's let them hear it..especially Californians. And try to be kind but honest and firm; there are some good folks there. This is the paper Sara A. Carter writes for who has done some coverage with Immigration Watchdog, and is supporting Ramos and Compean.

Now, I want to hear your opinion
    Conor Friedersdorf, Staff Writer
    Article Launched:12/14/2006 12:00:00 AM PST

Each week I use this space to share my opinions on immigration politics and policy. Though some of you write me e-mails in response, I'm curious about what a great many of you think about this topic. So I'm going to dedicate this column to questions that I have for you.

All these questions are posed in a genuine spirit of curiosity, and I haven't any preconceived notions about what the answers are. I hope everyone will answer honestly, even if a particular answer doesn't "help" whatever side of the immigration debate you're on.

For a moment, let's be circumspect and honest rather than political.

I'd be appreciative of anyone who takes the time to send his or her answers to one question, or every question, to conor.friedersdorf@dailybulletin.com. I promise to read every response, and I'll post some of them on www.beyondbordersblog.com, so be sure to let me know if you'd like me to keep your name confidential.

My first set of questions is about the past: How has your community changed over the years due to immigration, for better or worse? Are you enjoying more ethnic food than ever before? Is the annual parade more enjoyably diverse? Are
    Advertisement
    local schools overcrowded with the sons and daughters of immigrants? How has the fabric of everyday life changed? Have any changes been particularly unexpected?

My second set of questions is about the future: What do you think California is going to be like 10 years from now, and 20 years from now? What effects - good and ill - will immigration have? Is immigration going to continue at its current rate, or is a border fence or better enforcement going to stem the tide of illegal immigration? Is a state where Latinos wield a lot of political muscle going to be much different from states where they remain a minority of the population?

My next questions are for employers, whether you own a business or occasionally hire domestic help for day care, gardening or household chores. What do you think about the immigration debate, and do those feelings impact whether or not you check the legal status of those that you hire? Do you avoid asking questions about legal status because you don't care whether your employees are legal or illegal? Do you avoid asking questions simply because it is awkward, or because you're afraid of getting sued? Should an employer be lawfully responsible if he or she hires an illegal immigrant? Should a citizen be punished for hiring an illegal immigrant as a housekeeper or nanny? If so, what should the punishment be?

My fourth set of questions is for workers. Do you interact with immigrants, legal or illegal, within your workplace? What are your interactions like? Have high rates of legal immigration, or the influx of illegal immigrants, affected your career positively or negatively? Has a colleague ever changed the way you think about the immigration debate? Are there language barriers at your place of employment? Do you expect immigration to affect your career, for better or worse, in the future?

My last group of questions is for illegal immigrants. What are your thoughts about the illegal immigration debate? Do you think those who oppose illegal immigration are racist? Do you understand why so many Americans oppose illegal immigration, or are you bemused by that opposition? Under what circumstances did you come here illegally? Do you regret your decision, or are you better off having come?

As always, any other thoughts from my readers are welcome, whatever your perspective on the immigration debate. Please send them to conor.friedersdorf@dailybulletin.com.

unless Sara has recently wed or divorced and gone through a name change
    i assure you sara evans is a singer.

SARA CARTER is the one at the paper

You are right James! Let me edit.....Gosh how did I do that?

well judging from the pictures of sara evans and sara carter
    i can see how you could confuse them. they are both very
    attractive ladies

I read the San Bernardino County Sun, The sister of The Daily Bullitin,
    Conor Friedersdorf had a semi weekly series of articles on illegal immigration. Now it1s all posted on Beyond Border Blog.
    You had to read close in order to reallize that he was`nt taking sides.
    ------------------------