Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Can Anyone Help With This?

I was listening to a little bit of Lou Dobbs radio show today. A woman caller made the statement that at the end of Obama's health care bill in Chapter 30, there is a section that states there will be a 5% added value tax to help pay for this bill. I can't seem to find a copy of this bill, mainly because I don't know the name of it. Can anyone help verify this info?

(If this thread produces nothing, I will delete it. If it does, I will move it to Other Topics.)
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

working4change
    Is that HR 676 The medicare for all bill Tiny?

http://www.hr676.org/

Quote Originally Posted by working4change

I don't know what the name of the bill is. That's probably why I couldn't find it. I'm not real good at finding this stuff.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

working4change
    Quote Originally Posted by tinybobidaho
    Quote Originally Posted by working4change

I don't know what the name of the bill is. That's probably why I couldn't find it. I'm not real good at finding this stuff.
    I think that's the point...don't explain it and don't give a bill number..... keep us all in the dark

I don't think so. I was looking for the bill text itself so we could look at Chapter 30 where it supposedly has the added value tax provision.

working4change
    Obama Floats VAT Tax
    To Pay for Socialized Medicine
    From Ryan Ellis on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:41 AM
    Add to Reddit Add to Stumbleupon Add to Delicious Add to Digg Add to Facebook

• The Washington Post today reported that Democrats all over Washington and in the Obama White House are clamoring to include a value-added tax (VAT) to pay for a government-controlled national health insurance scheme. The White House has even brought in Rahm Emanuel’s brother to consult on this.

• This trial balloon is another attempt by President Obama to renege on his pledge to not raise taxes on any American making less than $250,000 per year—a promise he made repeatedly and forcefully on the campaign trail in 2008, and which he broke 16 days into his Administration

• A VAT is a version of a national sales tax. Any person who consumes pays this tax. The poor and working class (and certainly those making less than $250,000 per year) consume more as a percentage of their income the less they make. A VAT is among the most regressive tax schemes that can be imposed, and is a direct violation of Obama’s no-tax-hike promise

• VATs are a gateway drug to more government spending. When VATs first came on the scene in Western Europe in the 1960s, they were modest taxes averaging around 5 percent in rate. In the years since, the rates have climbed to an average of 20 percent (with a 15 percent minimum to get into the European Union)

• There are two reasons for this. First, politicians are always tempted to hike the rate and exclude preferred items like food, medicine, and housing. Second, because a VAT is embedded in the price of a good (unlike state sales taxes in the United States), most people are unaware of the tax or how high it is. Raising the VAT rate becomes a relatively-painless political maneuver, especially if it’s linked to higher welfare spending or VAT base carve-outs

• This VAT trial balloon betrays the mentality of the Pelosi-Reid-Obama thinking in Washington today. Raise taxes, and raise federal spending. Ultimately, they won’t be satisfied until federal taxes and federal spending are permanently at record levels. A VAT is a good way to pay for bigger government, which is why the Europeans are so enamored with them

PDF version

Permalink | Email | Print | Tags: TAXES, HEALTHCARE, OBAMA
    Comments

I like your analysis of the VAT except for two points: 1) Since the policy of the Obama administration is identical in every important feature to the Bush administration (which brought us socialized medicine in the form of the medicare prescription drop program and unprecedented spending), why not point out that this is a bipartisan spending spree which has gone on for over 8 years now. 2) The phrase "gateway drug" has been forever discredited by being used to support the failed "war on drugs", better described as a "war on the bill of rights" or "Prohibition II". It should be retired, along with the aforementioned wasteful government policies. Don't blame me: I voted Libertarian.
    >> Rich Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:10 PM

1. I think President Obama only promised not to raise income taxes. He slide by w/ a 'I didn't say anything about VAT'. 2. ANY increase in prices is inflationary; the recovery is almost here. The absolute certain way to kill it (the recovery) is to raise taxes/prices. When will the Democrats ever learn.
    >> vince Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:30 PM

Vince...do your research...you don't have to go far (above second paragraph) President Obama said on September 12, 2008 in Dover, New Hampshire: “I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes.â€