Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Can you have Dual Citizenship in the U.S.

I have a question that arose when I heard on the news (FOX) that immigrants were going back to Mexico due to the unemployment problem here in the states and becoming Mexican citizens again. My question is, Can you have dual citizenship in the US? I thought that way back when our forefathers wrote the Constitution that Dual citizenship was not allowed. Is that still the case? I ask because I hear of some legal citizens voting for the Iraqi government or Mexicans keeping their status while becoming an American Citizen.

That's right, we allow dual citizenship.

Some countries allow it some don't. For a German to become an Ameircan, they have to give up their German citizenship and visa versa. Germany does not allow dual citizenship.

Anchor babies can technically vote in both countries.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Welcome to Alipac mickey94558
    "Ask not what your country can do for you but ask what you can do for your country"-John F. Kennedy

Well, the current president is a kenyan so I guess its ok...

With the answer to that being yes, I think that one great way to immediately end the anchor baby problem would be to revoke dual citizenship.

While it's been recently reported that there is a "trend" among Mexicans taking steps to obtain Mexican citizenship for their little pseudo-citizens, I find it laughable that it's being treated like some new phenomenon.

I think people would be astounded to know just how many of the illegal aliens taking advantage of our system via their "little Americans", actually take steps to ensure Mexican citizenship for these kids as soon after birth as they can manage it.

The kids are only "Americans" as long as it convenient for the parents' agendas and they get away with it.

But let it come down to a matter of being given a choice.....either Mexican or American and you will find very few Mexicans who will allow, or tolerate, full American citizenship over Mexican citizenship for their kids.

Therefore, take away the dual citzenship crap, reinstate a draft, or otherwise expect these so called American citizens to do something for this country instead of simply taking from it and you will see the births of anchors hit record lows as well as see a mass exodus out of here by existing anchors.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The description below pertains to an Act by the Mexican Congress which allows Mexican nationals who acquire citizenship in another nation to keep their Mexican citizenship. Although this, of course, refers to Mexican Dual Citizenship, it has great significance for the United States, since 60% of illegal immigrants to the our country are Mexican. Any amnesty would give them all not only a "path to U.S. citizenship", but allow them to retain their Mexican citizenship at the same time.

MEXICAN DUAL NATIONALITY PROGRAM
    PRESERVATION OF MEXICAN NATIONALITY
    (Dual Citizenship)

NATIONALITY LAW EXTENDED INDEFINITELY

* It will strengthen links among Mexicans at home and abroad.

* It will allow Mexicans to keep their nationality after adopting another one from a foreign country.

* It will give individuals who may have lost their Mexican nationality, an opportunity to recover it.

The Nationality law which allows the preservation of Mexican nationality, regardless of the acquisition of another nationality or citizenship, is effective as of march 20th, 1998.

This law, which is based upon a constitutional reform approved unanimously by the Mexican Congress on December 1996, will allow Mexicans who live abroad and decide to adopt a foreign nationality or citizenship, to keep their Mexican nationality. It will also allow those individuals who were originally Mexicans and are now citizens of another country, to regain Mexican nationality.

1.- Background

The Mexican provisions regarding nationality, in effect over the last decades, stated that any Mexican who obtained another nationality would lose their Mexican nationality.

This has implied that Mexicans living abroad have had a face a dilemma regarding naturalization: on the one hand, if they became naturalized in their host countries in order to improve their migratory and legal status, they lost their Mexican nationality and all of their rights. On the other hand, if they did not obtain another nationality so as to retain the Mexican one, they were unable to fully exercise their rights in their host country.

In order to find a solution to this matter, on December 10, 1996, the Mexican Congress approved President Ernesto Zedillo's initiative regarding Articles 30, 32 and 37 of the Constitution which allows Mexicans to preserve their nationality, regardless of acquisition of another nationality or citizenship.

These reforms will also allow those Mexicans who are already citizens of another country to regain Mexican nationality.

2.- Who may benefit from this amendment

Mexicans living abroad, and willing to be naturalized as citizens of their host country, will be able to obtain that nationality while preserving the Mexican one.

Mexicans who have already acquired another nationality will be able to regain the Mexican one. Children of Mexicans at birth or naturalized will be able to acquire Mexican nationality.

For those Mexicans who have lost their nationality, there will be a period of five years, beginning the day of the entry into force of the amendment, in which they may recover it. The procedure of the followed is ready to be implemented as of March 20, 1998 and its simplicity and efficacy are ensured.

3.- Main benefits

The constitutional reforms and the new law provide the necessary legal framework to the principle of "Non-forfeit of Mexican Nationality", a long awaited demand be Mexicans living abroad. These Mexicans communities have long wished to preserve the rights the Mexican Constitution grants to its nationals and to maintain cultural and family ties with Mexico.

Mexicans living abroad will be free to travel and live in Mexico whenever they wish to do so, without having to comply with complicated formalities or apply for permits required for foreigners.

They will be able to buy land without any of the restrictions applied for foreigners. Likewise, none of the restrictions regarding inheritance and employment, concerning foreigners, can be applied.

Mexicans who regain nationality will continue to pay taxes in the country where they reside and earn income.

Mexicans living abroad will not be required to serve in the Mexican armed forces. They will only be required to register at the age of 18, either in Mexico or at its consulates or embassies.

4.- Implications on Voting Rights

Unlike other countries, Mexican legislation establishes a distinction between nationality and citizenship. Nationality refers to how people feel they belong to their country. Nationality is based on one's place of birth and the origins on one's parents. Citizenship implies nationality, as well as, the exercising of political rights which are acquired upon reaching legal age and residence among other requisites. The constitutional reform only modifies provisions related to nationality.

This amendment is not related in any way with the right to vote. So far, no Mexican living abroad is able to vote in any election held in Mexican territory.

Voting is related with citizenship. Thus, the possibility of eventually voting abroad is being separately analyzed and, in any case, would be regulated by The Federal Code of Electoral Institutions and Procedures. Thus, the nationality constitutional amendment and law do not affect voting matters.

DECLARATION OF MEXICAN NATIONALITY
    The Mexican Government is granting the opportunity to people of Mexican decent who are naturalized citizens or citizen by birth of another country, to recover their Mexican Nationality.

To obtain the Declaration of Mexican Nationality, the interested party must meet the following:

REQUIREMENTS

Be at least 18 years of age and of sound mind.

Complete the application at the Mexican Consulate.

Present the following documents in original and two photocopies:

If the person was born in United States:

A Certified copy of the Birth Certificate, apostilled by the Secretary of State of the issuing authority.

Original or certified copies of the Mexican father or mother's birth certificate.

If the person was born in Mexico

Original or certified copy of the birth certificate.

Married women need to present the marriage certificate.

Document that proves the U.S. citizenship (i.e. passport or Certificate of Naturalization).

Official picture ID (i.e. Driver's license, passport, California ID, etc.)

Two-passport size photos.

This is a toll free process; the Mexican Consulate is the only autorizated institution to complete it. Upon receiving the Declaration of Mexican Nationality, a $14.00 fee will be assessed.

http://www.aztlan.net/dualcit.htm

Re: Can you have Dual Citizenship in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey94558
    I have a question that arose when I heard on the news (FOX) that immigrants were going back to Mexico due to the unemployment problem here in the states and becoming Mexican citizens again. My question is, Can you have dual citizenship in the US? I thought that way back when our forefathers wrote the Constitution that Dual citizenship was not allowed. Is that still the case? I ask because I hear of some legal citizens voting for the Iraqi government or Mexicans keeping their status while becoming an American Citizen.
    YES. Now here is the catch, if you are a naturalized citizen you have to take an oath to that you give up your citizenship to your former country. However, your former country doesn't recognize this and you citizenship there stands unless you go to their embassy and formerly renounce your citizenship. This includes giving up your ID's and passport to that country.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

So then if you were born in the U S and have at least one parent who is from Mexico regardless of whether the parent is in the U S legally or illegally you still have Mexican citizenship. You just have to fill out the paper work. You are then a dual citizen. And you don't have to take a loyalty oath to the U S since no natural born citizen has to do that. But what about the Mexican government? Do they expect loyalty from their citizens?

What a money game....

After the fall of the Soviet Union, many countries wanted their former citizens back. My relative emigrated from the Baltics during WWII and became a naturalized citizen of the US. About 1992, the new government offered dual citizenship to emigrees, and many applied, as that was the only way they could get their family land back.
    I accompanied her on a trip to her childhood home and it was heart-breaking. The family home was now four apartments. The apple and pear orchards no longer existed, and the overgrown farm fields were dumping grounds for rusting farm equipment and garbage. To take this property back and try to clean it up would have been a nightmare. She wisely decided that being an American citizen was much more important than trying to clean up the mess long distance from this country. And she figured since she had only spent one third of her life in that country, but two thirds of her life in America, she belonged here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast