Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Censored at the DU

Censored at the DU
    At the Democratic Underground, I created a "discussion topic" that showed you can be a liberal and be anti-mass-immigration... But at the end of the post, I made the mistake of linking to some vdare articles... Apparently, the moderators have been instructed to lock any thread that links to vdare, because it's regarded as a racist site... Here's the original post:
    Immigration: Peter DeFazio - http://www.democraticunderground.com/di ... id=2677312

Censored by the Mainstream Media
    As another example of censorship, the vdare articles to which I linked were writted by Randall Burns, who's a liberal who believes we need to reduce immigration... Anyway, I've talked to Randall and he says that he can't find anyone (except vdare) who will publish his articles.
    http://www.vdare.com/burns/index.htm - articles by Randall Burns
    http://blog.vdare.com/archives/author/randalburns - blog by Randall Burns

Nearly Censored by an Oregon University
    In my post, I featured a Democratic Representative named Peter DeFazio, who was one of only about 20 Democrats in the U.S. House to vote for HR 4437, the "Sensenbrenner" bill... (This bill HR 4437 was the enforcement-only bill passed by the House in December, 2005.)... But because DeFazio voted for HR 4437, there were some activists who wanted to prevent him from giving the commencement speech to graduates of Portland State University... Fortunately, these activists did not succeed and thus, DeFazio did give the commencement speech.

Here is DeFazio's response to his critics:
    DeFazio responds to immigration concerns - May 26, 2006 - http://www.dailyvanguard.com/vnews/disp ... 72a7c0a997
    In response to my selection as commencement speaker, some students have expressed concerns about my selection, due to my vote on H.R. 4437, immigration reform legislation.
    My choice was between the House bill, which contained strong and necessary border security improvements and employer sanctions, or maintaining the status quo... Annually, more than one million immigrants are captured trying to enter the U.S., 500,000 or more annually elude capture and make it into the U.S. illegally, and 10 to 12 million already live here illegally. In my opinion, the status quo is not sustainable.
    My principle reason for supporting the bill despite its faults is the strong penalties on employers who take advantage of undocumented workers. Without such penalties, unethical employers will continue to exploit workers, pay poverty wages (or withhold them altogether), and force workers to toil in dangerous conditions. H.R. 4437 requires employers to verify workers’ eligibility for employment with federal officials rather than allowing a simple glance at documents that are easily forged. The bill doubles fines for employers who knowingly hire undocumented workers to $5,000 for a first offense and up to $40,000 for subsequent offenses.

I also supported the bill because it improves border security by deploying increased personnel, requires enhanced technology to prevent and detect illegal entries, and makes it easier to deport those caught entering illegally.

Some critics complain that H.R. 4437 does not contain a guest worker program for new immigrants or legalization provisions for undocumented workers already here. I do not support a blanket legalization program that would treat every immigrant the same regardless of how long they've been here or what they've contributed to their communities. The status of someone who entered illegally last week should not be the same as someone who has been in the country for a decade, gainfully employed and paying taxes.

Nor do I support new guest worker programs that would lead to the importation of hundreds of thousands of additional foreign workers every year. That is the dream of corporate leaders and is a formula for job insecurity, union-busting, immigrant exploitation, and depressed wages and benefits for American workers and legal immigrants.

I question the feasibility of processing the millions of applications that would be created by massive new guest worker and legalization programs, and have serious concerns about the impact such programs will have on the four million immigrants waiting in line to legally enter the U.S.

While far from perfect, H.R. 4437 opened the door to further debate and possible legislation to deal with the important issue of immigration. As I have always done on the nearly 12,000 votes I've cast since being elected to Congress, I will carefully review all of the provisions of any conference compromise before casting my final vote.
    DeFazio's commencement speech does not mention immigration, but it's a good speech though... I like the way he encourages people to get more active in politics... Also, he has some specific ideas about how we could get more funding for supporting higher education.
    Portland State University Commencement Speech - June 17, 2006 - http://defazio.house.gov/061706PSU.shtml

Anyway, there's a lot of censorship on the issue of immigration... We need to keep on pushing this issue and supporting courageous politicians like Peter DeFazio... DeFazio has one of the best records out of all the Democrats in Congress on the issue of immigration.
    http://grades.betterimmigration.com/vie ... &VIPID=677

The moderator at the DU did let me re-post without the vdare links... And it did stimulate some discussion... Here's the new post:
    Immigration: Peter DeFazio - http://www.democraticunderground.com/di ... id=2683116
    "We have it in our power to begin the world over again." (Thomas Paine 1776 "Common Sense") "The cause of America is in great measure the cause of all mankind." ("Common Sense")

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this. I'm not surprised except that they let you repost even without the VDare articles. Wonder if they would be so particular with something written from LaRaza or MEChA etc?

Censorship indeed. The MSM practically goes out of there way to not produce any negative illegal immigration articles. Thank God for the internet and "alternative" media.
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

You're welcome... Yes, there's censhorship of any viewpoint critical of illegal immigration... I wonder if the censorship is greater against liberals (opposed to illegal immigration), because the MSM likes the story of hard-nosed conservatives who are "anti-immigrant" and soft-hearted liberals who love immigrants.

Then, on the other side, there's lots of pro-mass-immigration propaganda... I just heard another long "news" story on TV this morning, which used the word "schizophrenic" to describe the way our country has a history of alternating between allowing large numbers of Latino immigrants and restricting the flow... Of course, the message is that if we were sane, then we would allow 10 million people per year (or more) into our country.
    "We have it in our power to begin the world over again." (Thomas Paine 1776 "Common Sense") "The cause of America is in great measure the cause of all mankind." ("Common Sense")

I was banned completely for posting a link to limitstogrowth.org, which is actually run by an ex sierra club liberal. There are a few of us rational liberals around. Ive also posted at the Rocky Mountain NEws, as they ran a response from Peter Brimlow on VDARE. Actually, they have an open message board thats pretty good on being open.

THis is a national conspiracty to dilute the power of the American people for cheap labor, globalism etc... Open and Free discussion is necessary in a FREE society. Liberalism basicly means that males have become the
    'equal' of women, that they are non-competitive, that they want to breast fead the kids now, and that they are spinless cowards when it comes to defending the environment. Where are the "Democrats" when G Bush has such a low rating? There is something going on, no doubt. Its called National Suicide, and Ethnic Cleansing....

Illegal Immigration is the new American Holocaust.

I would say that they do get the Israel/Democrat connection, almost. Israel is running both parties, and some over there have said that. Notice how ALL the DEMOCRATS support Israels bombings, (but not OURS?) Why would Democrats support WAR? If youve ever done fundraising for a Democrat, you end up calling alot of Jewish people. I thought they just gave me a Jewish list of people to call because they though I was Jewish. How Naive I was....ITs amazing they are NOT comming out on ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION, which just overloads ALL OF THEIR PET CAUSES. They dont do this because they dont want to be RACIST in their own girli brains... how sickening.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/di ... 32x2755103

You were "banned completely" just for linking to the wrong site?... I guess I was lucky just to only have my thread locked.

Quote Originally Posted by Badmonkey
    ITs amazing they are NOT comming out on ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION, which just overloads ALL OF THEIR PET CAUSES.
    Yes, a bit of mystery. (<- the preceding was a big understatement. )

I like this quote from a 2001 interview with former Senator Gaylord Nelson (who founded Earth Day in 1970):
    http://www2.jsonline.com/news/metro/apr ... 42101a.asp
    Q. What is the number one environmental problem facing the earth today?

A. "If you had to choose just one, it would have to be population. . . . The bigger the population gets, the more serious the problems become. . . . We have to address the population issue... The United Nations, with the U.S. supporting it, took the position in Cairo in 1994 that every country was responsible for stabilizing its own population... It can be done... But in this country, it's phony to say "I'm for the environment but not for limiting immigration.".. It's just a fact that we can't take all the people who want to come here... And you don't have to be a racist to realize that... However, the subject has been driven out of public discussion because everybody is afraid of being called racist if they say they want any limits on immigration."
    I found out recently why the former Democratic Governor of Colorada (Richard Lamm) was not able to get elected as a board member of the Sierra Club:
    http://www.vdare.com/guzzardi/usa_today.htm
    Amazingly, while reporters covering the Sierra Club election were obsessed with the racism angle, they missed a huge story that was staring them right in the face.
    According to I.R.S. records, the Sierra Club received over $100 million in anonymous donations during 2000 and 2001... And it spent $250,000 to defeat the so-called "outsiders.".. Pressing Pope on the nature of those donations or the wisdom of such excessive spending would be a real story."
    http://www.susps.org/ - Support US Population Stabilization
    Since 1996, leaders of the Sierra Club have refused to admit that immigration driven, rapid U.S. population growth causes massive environmental problems. And they have refused to acknowledge the need to reduce U.S. immigration levels in order to stabilize the U.S. population and protect our natural resources. Their refusal to do what common sense says is best for the environment was a mystery for nearly a decade.

Then, on Oct. 27, 2004, the Los Angeles Times revealed the answer: David Gelbaum, a super rich donor, had demanded this position from the Sierra Club in return for huge donations. Kenneth Weiss, author of the LA Times article that broke the story, quoted what David Gelbaum said to Sierra Club Executive Director Carl Pope:

"I did tell Carl Pope in 1994 or 1995 that if they ever came out anti-immigration, they would never get a dollar from me."

In 1996 and again in 1998, the Club's leaders proved their loyalty to Gelbaum's position on immigration, first by enacting a policy of neutrality on immigration and then by aggressively opposing a referendum to overturn that policy. In 2000 and 2001, Gelbaum rewarded the Club with total donations to the Sierra Club Foundation exceeding $100 million. In 2004 and 2005, the Club's top leaders and management showed their gratitude for the donations by stifling dissent and vehemently opposing member efforts to enact an immigration reduction policy.