Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Chertoff: No More Honor System!

January 17, 2008
    No More Honor System

Currently, American and Canadian citizens wishing to enter the U.S. through land or sea ports of entry may use over 8,000 different documents to establish their identity. Or, in some cases, they are allowed to simply declare their citizenship to a Customs and Border Protection officer. Barring any red flags, that’s all they need to cross the border.

Amazingly, this means that baptismal certificates, student ID cards, and thousands of other easily-forged documents can be used to enter our country – hardly an efficient or secure process. The current system puts an onerous burden on our CBP officers while allowing too much opportunity for criminals, illegal aliens, and potential terrorists to slip into our country.

That’s why starting on January 31st of this year, we will end the practice of accepting oral declarations alone at land and sea ports of entry. U.S. and Canadian citizens 19 years of age and older will need to present a government-issued photo ID--such as a driver’s license--along with proof of citizenship--such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate--to enter the country. Children 18 and under will only be required to show proof of citizenship.

We first announced this change months ago. The acceptable documents are all readily available and widely held. We are reminding travelers again so they will remember to carry the necessary documents, and grow accustomed to the new procedures at the border.

Ending oral declarations reduces a major vulnerability. So does decreasing the number of documents our CBP officers must assess from more than 8,000 to about two dozen. These measures are critical to securing the border – something which the American people rightly demand.

We will continue our vigorous education and outreach efforts to ensure that everyone is aware of these changes. We will also continue to work with the traveling public, our international partners, the private sector, and border communities as we implement these important security measures.

Michael Chertoff

http://www.dhs.gov/journal/leadership/
    From the Border Movie:

I will not sell my country out ~ I WILL NOT!
    I'd like to see that pride back in AMERICA!!!

I am really not so worried about the Canadians.....what about THE MEXICANS and others that enter SOUTH???

He is talking a good game, just like the rest of them. The minute a new Pres takes office, nothing will happen except Amnesty.

We will be given a 40 million excuses.
    I'm "Dot" and I am LEGAL!