Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Chicago Trib editorial re: poor poor Arellano

Not sure how this made their paper since they and their WGN tv station are bonafide 100% pro-illegal criminals but here it is anyway. I am one very surprised reader (even though they did get their pro criminal amnesty opinion in there) .

Elvira Arellano and the law

Published August 17, 2006

Elvira Arellano came to this country from Mexico seeking a better life, but she came here illegally. For five years, she lived fairly anonymously, like millions of other illegal immigrants. She worked as a cleaning woman at O'Hare International Airport until she was arrested in 2002 during a post-Sept. 11 security sweep at the nation's airports.

Last week, the Department of Homeland Security gave Arellano, 31, a deadline for deportation. Instead of reporting to homeland security by 9 a.m. Tuesday, though, she took refuge in Adalberto United Methodist Church in the Humboldt Park neighborhood. She has said she will stay in the church indefinitely, in pure defiance of immigration authorities. They say they have the legal right to arrest her in the church and will do so at a time of their choosing.

Arellano is hardly anonymous now. In fact, she has become something of a local symbol for those who most ardently believe U.S. immigration law is patently unfair.

That doesn't mean her example is helpful to their cause. It is not.

Arellano was arrested and deported once before and re-entered the country illegally. She was found to have used a fake Social Security number to work.

And yet she has benefited from some extraordinary political support, which few illegal immigrants get to enjoy. She won the help of members of the Illinois congressional delegation, who rallied around her because her 7-year-old son, Saul, a U.S. citizen, has ADHD and other health problems. She has been granted three stays of deportation since 2003. U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.) sent a letter to President Bush on Wednesday asking that Arellano be granted yet another stay.

But Sen. Dick Durbin, Sen. Barack Obama and others have said there is nothing more they can do for her. Because her son's condition has improved, some of those sympathetic to her cause suggest that another stay of deportation cannot be justified.

And so, she stands in public defiance of U.S. law--a symbol, as well, for those who say the only problem with immigration law is that it is not tough enough on those who violate it.

Arellano would seem to have little chance of remaining in the U.S. legally even if Congress were to approve a new law that provided "earned citizenship" for some illegal immigrants--which this page has strongly supported.

There is no argument for political asylum in her case. Arellano would not be at risk of persecution if she were to return to Mexico.

Arellano's supporters are calling for a moratorium on deportation until Congress passes its now-shelved immigration reform. They are not going to prevail on that. The U.S. is not about the business of suspending the enforcement of law while it mulls whether to change the law.

Many illegal immigrants face the same situation as Arellano. Few get the breaks she has received in the last few years. They are all subject to U.S. law, as is Arellano.

It is time for her to abide by that law.
    "There's no such thing as ILLEGALalien-able rights!" REGRESO E MEXICO !

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    She has no argument, yep, that's right, she just does not want to get off the gravy train she has been on, expecially since she can claim her kid has all sorts of "problems" and he would suffer if he did not have his free health care from the good old U.S.A. !!!!
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

[qu
    Arellano would seem to have little chance of remaining in the U.S. legally even if Congress were to approve a new law that provided "earned citizenship" for some illegal immigrants--which this page has strongly supported.

There is no argument for political asylum in her case. Arellano would not be at risk of persecution if she were to return to Mexico.
    ote][/quote]

Ya......bye-bye baby!!!!! You have no RIGHT to be here. Birthin babies doesn't get you a free ride when you won't abide by the laws.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanElizabeth
    She has no argument, yep, that's right, she just does not want to get off the gravy train she has been on, expecially since she can claim her kid has all sorts of "problems" and he would suffer if he did not have his free health care from the good old U.S.A. !!!!
    The only problem the kid has is "ADHD" which means that he's hyper (like most normal healthy 7 year old boys are). It's not like he is going to die from not being treated for ADHD (in fact I think he's better off not being given the drugs, Ritalin is methylphenidate which is known on the street as speed).
    Free Ramos and Compean NOW!

Feds should walk into that church and drag her out if they have to.....now, not later. She should get no more media attention, just deported as she deserves. If that were an American citizen who committed a felony, they would already be in jail. Shame on you Arellano!
    "Remember the Alamo!"

today

Today's Chicago Trib was a photo op for the dreadful Rep. Luis Gutierrez; he's show hugging her. Article said Obama and Durbin expressed sympathy but agreed it was not appropriate to intervene.

Anyone hear what happened to those illegal aliens that a Illinois judge didn't deport because of the law that 'might' be changed? My state is crazy?@%^&**^%
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    Well Noillegal, I do not believe in ADHD, most of the time it is nothing more than lazy parenting. In our family we believe in old-fashioned rules and discipline, and not one of our kids (all 12 of them) have even been classified as ADHD or ADD, they just sit down shut up and behave when they are told to, OR ELSE!!

People all too often use this too excuse why their little demons cannot do what they are told, when the only reason is they are spoiled and coddled with little expectation to ever do what they are told.

So this illegal woman is not only a lawbreaker, but her kid is undisciplined to boot!
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Well Noillegal, I do not believe in ADHD, most of the time it is nothing more than lazy parenting.
    ADHD is real and it does exist (I'm not a lazy parent ). I've got a son, currently a sophmore in college, who has been diagnosed with ADHD. Before the problem was diagnosed 4 years ago, it seemed as if he always had to spend 2, sometimes 3, times longer doing homework than his brother and sisters and the result of all the extra time was just average grades. He was a C student up through his sophmore year of high school. Once he was diagnosed and placed on medication (right before his junior year), his grades improved greatly (mostly A's) and his study time was reduced down to that of his siblings. Furthermore, there is a noticable difference in his personality when he's off the medication. When the medication wears off he becomes easily agitated and cranky, basically he becomes difficult to live with! With that said, the effects of ADHD (before medication) did not disable my son. For the most part, he functioned normally (just a little hyper at times), but it was holding him back a little in school. The agitation and crankiness he experiences now when the medication wears off is probably just a side-affect of the medication itself. According to my son the medication he's on sort of lifts the fog, helps him concentrate better, and has a calming effect.

I'm in no way defending this lady, she need to be put on the next bus to Mexico (regardless of her sons condition or issues), but I am saying there is such a thing as ADHD/ADD. To deny it exist, according to your definition, would make me a lazy parent and I'll never confess to that!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Just remove her and get this over with...

There is no reason to drag this out.

Some guest on Lou Dobbs yesteday said that a spokeman from ICE said that this is not a high priority case, that they have bigger fish to fry. Does anyone else besides me smell a rotten egg here? Since there is female and a child involved, the bleeding hearts and pro-illegals will be going to bat for her and will try to pressure the powers that be to prolong her deportatlion if they even deport her at all. Its sickens me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast