Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Children of illegals draw sympathy

Brian McElwee

Scranton Immigration Policy Examiner
    December 31, 2011

Recently, a reader offered some feedback on an article I had written. Knowing him personally, his comments took me somewhat by surprise, as we share a general conservative philosophy of most things pertaining to government and/or politics. As I began typing what I thought would be a short reply, it became obvious that I would fail in my attempt at brevity, again. And realizing that my friend's thoughts were shared by at least some others, an article was born.

You can read his comments here. My thoughts follow, addressed to the reader who posted the comment as well as all others who share his view.
    Innocent children

First, if a parent knowingly allows their child to play with matches, or in traffic, and the child gets hurt, does the blame belong to anyone other than the parent? Such is the case with “Americanized” children of illegal aliens. Will they be hurt if long term aliens, which include their parents, are forced to leave the country? Yes, they will be hurt and I don't revel in that. But let's not forget who will have caused the hurt, their parents. I had nothing to do with it, and neither did you. Let the children blame their own parents for disrupting their lives, if they really need to point fingers.

Let's also not forget that wanting better for your family can never be accepted as a valid excuse for doing wrong, and no matter when the wrong is uncovered, consequence is a natural byproduct of (wrong or illegal) action. There is a world full of needy and wanting people and most desire the American way for their families, understandably. Most of these would be Americans also wait patiently for lack of money or authorization to make their dream a reality, since they don't have a conveniently porous border to jump. Given the enormous cost to taxpayers that illegal aliens represent, wouldn't moral equivalency suggest that if we allow illegal aliens currently in our country to stay we should also spend the same amount of money helping others come here legally, who simply cannot afford it? Are you willing to foot the bill for this expenditure too? In fact, if the only prerequisite to residing in this country is desiring a better life for your family, should we not also invite the rest of Mexico to join us? Once we're done relocating all of them, do we continue by offering a better life to the citizens of Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama? Surely they all want better lives for their families too, as do many in South America. Where does it end?

Finally, on this issue of “Americanized” children born to aliens, no fewer than 12 states offer in-state tuition to them. For many American citizens, this means they (or their children) will pay $100,000 or more than the child of an illegal alien for the same education, at the same institution. Just another example of the how many people can and do get hurt by these innocent crimes.

Children born in this country to illegal aliens, “anchor babies,”are American citizens and pose a special problem. But, even with them, the decision to come to this country illegally was made by their parents. As such it is their biological family, not their American citizen family that bears responsibility for any unpleasant consequences. Either way, birthright citizenship for anchor babies must end, immediately, or we'll still be facing this conundrum 30 years from now.

One man's idea of realism

Here's what I think you're missing, friend. If you adhere to Newt's plan, as it seems you do, where is the line drawn? If illegals who have been here for 30 years can stay, what about those here for 25, 20 and so on. For that matter, what of the alien who's been here even 5 years? Imagine the (misplaced) sympathetic outrage if a 25 year alien with no children is allowed to stay but a 5 year alien with children cannot. I saw the word realistic referenced and question your own realism. Do you really believe any elected officials will have the courage to force some to leave while allowing others to stay? Of course not; there will be no line drawn. Rather, concessions and deals will be made, as they were in 1986, and the clear loser will be the American citizen, again. If some are allowed to remain they will all be allowed to remain. And once legalized, they will all petition for more family to join them.

Good, upstanding people?

Next, what do you consider to be the definition of upstanding? Even setting illegal entry aside (which I don't think can be done), what about the use of fraudulent documents? What about the cost each alien's presence has on the entire tax paying population (public assistance, medical care, ESL courses at public schools). Do you think the unemployed (or under-employed) American worker would attach the label of upstanding to a group of people who have destabilized the wage base of so many industries, making it nearly impossible to raise a family in the same industry which provided nicely only ten years ago? (For example, according to Congressmand Barletta, meat packing in Hazleton paid an average of $19 per hour a decade ago. Since being taken over by foreign workers, the hourly wage has plummeted nearly 50%). Have you considered the remittances sent out of the country, no doubt used at least partially for more to come here illegally? What about the risks our law enforcement agents face every day, attempting to stem this alien invasion? Like our troops who fight and die overseas, winning the battles but losing the war because of political maneuvering (and misplaced sympathies), will their efforts sand sacrifices be in vain?

Consequences vs fairness

As for those aliens who have paid taxes, the government is indeed complicit. In fact, the IRS has been issuing taxpayer ID numbers to illegals for a long time. Many of these aliens have also obtained loans and mortgages, despite lacking social security numbers. Are either of these points reasons to soften the lens we view aliens through? I think not. Sorry, but if aliens have paid taxes while they're here, they have also enjoyed benefits this country offers. So that's a wash. And, if they own property, they should be given ample time to sell it, perhaps 18 months, while a border fence is being completed. If they profit from the sale of their property, they are not hurt. If they lose money, that's too bad, the price paid for the decisions they've made.

You offered as a possible concession that illegal aliens allowed to stay should not be given the right to vote, the withholding of this privilege being their 'punishment.” I agree that voting rights should never be given to them, whether municipal, state or federal. However, my vision has the aliens back where they came from so, of course, they'd have no voting rights. Your vision, shared by Newt, allows them to stay and pay taxes but not be entitled to representation. Hmmm, where have I heard that phrase before, taxation without representation? Oh, that's right, there was a war fought, largely, over this very issue? I'm sure you've heard something about our own Revolutionary War and yet you'd be OK with people paying the same taxes and being required to obey the same laws as you and me, without any of the say (read representation) you or I have? Doesn't sound very fair to me.

Continued Below...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The minor children of illegal aliens did not make a conscious decision to come here. Does that mean they, and their families, get to stay?

A question of pragmatism

As for the pragmatism of deporting 12 million illegal aliens, it is because of people like you that it is not more so. We are facing a crisis far greater than that which most people realize and this is no time to give quarter. The number of illegal aliens in our midst is likely far greater than 12 million and they must all be forced to leave, one way or another. Deportation should only be necessary for a small portion of them, once other measures are instituted. Either way, it can and should be done. The long term costs of them remaining here far exceed the short term costs of forcing them to go. It is absolutely pragmatic and we need to insist on it.

To conclude, illegal aliens continue to come here, and will in the future, because people like you go soft, as they did in '86. That is not to suggest anything other than a soft heart, but a soft heart is usually one with misplaced sympathies. And no sir, I don't believe upstanding is a word aptly attached to one who enters and makes a conscious decision to stay in this country illegally, avails himself of the things only American citizens should have, costs us billions of dollars in services annually, illegally earns and sends out of this country billions of dollars annually, resists assimilation (largely), demands their native language and culture be given equal time and consideration, and encourages others to come here illegally.

Your thoughts?

========================

Brian is a married father of two with deep concerns over the future of our country. He believes uncontrolled (read illegal) immigration represents a serious risk to our national unity, security, economy and more. Brian is also a Christian who believes the Bible clearly teaches obedience to government and consequent adherence to its laws wherever those laws do not contradict God’s word. You can read more of his Christian views here. Comments and communication from all readers are welcomed whether in agreement with his views or in opposition to them.

You can reach Brian at
    mcelwee_brian@yahoo.com with your comments, concerns and ideas. Every effort will be made to reply quickly and all opinions offered will be respectfully considered.

http://www.examiner.com/immigration-...-draw-sympathy
    Last edited by Ratbstard; 12-31-2011 at 04:32 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I do not sympathize with children of illegals. They are not innocent in any way. Their parents disregard for responsibility screws over many people in the end and the children being here do as well because some of these families get government benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by diane85 View Post
    I do not sympathize with children of illegals. They are not innocent in any way. Their parents disregard for responsibility screws over many people in the end and the children being here do as well because some of these families get government benefits.
    The rewards for having an Anchor Baby:

Free Housing

Food Stamps

An Education for your child that is more expensive that that given American citizen children. (Yes we'll see to it that your child is bi-lingual.)

The EITC bonus each and every year until your baby turns 18

Can't have a baby or your own? Borrow a friends, we don't verify anything.

You can vote for more benefits for your family too. Just remember to check the box that asks: "Are you an American citizen?" yes.
    Then vote for a Democrat. Remember, "We don't verify anything."

(Feel free to add to this list.)

The title should be "Children of illegals draw a check!"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by stevetheroofer View Post
    The title should be "Children of illegals draw a check!"
    That should be the title.

I hate reading these sob stories about anchor babies and illegal alien children, mainly because I know children of legal immigrants. I feel sorry for the children of legal immigrants because their parents do things the right way and don't get a lot of praise at times. I have a friend whose family legally immigrated from Argentina in the 80's. His parents learned English at a language school as a teenagers and years later when they decide to immigrate to the U.S. they started teaching their children English as preparation. I also worked with a woman whose parents immigrated legally from China. Her parents didn't come here speaking English, but they started learning when they arrived and today her parents can't stand illegal aliens that live near them in northern California.