Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

V

Citizen Worker Question

Greetings,
    I have a question I need some help with.
    I am the manager of a small motel in california.
    the owners of this motel have directed me to only hire hispanic housekeepers. They fired the only citizen housekeeper I had (I hired her because she wanted to work) employeed due to the hispanic housekeepers upset that she was white and they only like working with hispanic's and feel that housekeeping is *their job*
    Now, one of the hispanic housekeepers refuses to bring in any I9 information for me to put on file (she was hired here before I was). All my employee's do have current up to date I9 information that I personally filled out. Hispanic or not. The owners refuse to allow me to fire this person for not brining in documentation for her to work. Fired a citizen that wants the job and refuses to give more hours to the employee's that did bring in documention to work. Personally, I want people who want to work working for me and i don't care what nationality they are. I do however want to follow the Federal Law when it comes to I9 or any other labor laws. The owners of this company are directing me to discrimintate and making it impossible for me to follow the laws of this country. I concerned because I am the general manager and responsible for this. I have all their comments documented. I have in writing to them I asked for the housekeeper's I9 information. The citizen that was terminated due to her being white has went to attorneys to file a discrimination claim but, no one will help her due to the job only being $7.50 a hour even though she has all the documentation. I am scratching my head. Because this is the exact job Gov says on the news that americans don't want. This young girl is trying to fight her being discriminated against and has documented proof and no one will help. I am sorry there are citizens that want to work and unable to just because business's like this think they are to small for anyone to bother with. I am starting to think it is better to be an illegale alien than a citizen and I watched my swedish grandmother take the time and effort to go through legal channels to become an American citizen.. does any one have any advice or legal channel for my x- employee? I feel terrible I couldn't help her retain her job.
    V

It seems to me the owners of the company you work for are in clear violation , and are forcing you to do the same. I'd report them to the proper channels and be proud of it!. You can always find another Job if they feel the need to fire you, the United States is the only one we have....

Let's put it this way, if ICE raids you and you have the hiring decision, you are in just as much trouble as the owner, from what I understand.

I'd turn in my employer and go find another job if it were me.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I would suggest that she go to a Law School and ask that the legal assistance program represent her. They utilise the students and they are less driven by financial concerns.

You will have much better luck proving unreasonable firing practices than getting ICE to go after such a small employer.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'd send your ex-employee to the local media and you should report the situation to the labor department.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I would suggest that she go to a Law School and ask that the legal assistance program represent her. They utilise the students and they are less driven by financial concerns.
    Your local Bar Association may also be able to help.

Banned
    I would also suggest Public Citizen, they're helping someone I know in a suit against Wal-mart.

V

Citizen Worker Question

Thanks for the replies.
    She has contacted the local collage and asked for help from their legal clinic. They don't have the time.
    Yes, I know the owners are in clear violation and for forcing me to do the same which also makes me liable and breaking the law which I can go to jail for.
    Yes, she has contacted the labor dept and made a discrimination case but, an attorney would be very helpful. She is young and scared and not knowing what to do or say. She has contacted attorneys and she doesn't make enough money for them to want to bother with the case.
    I am pissed due to the owners making me be in violation and want to sue them myself for their policy's and trying to do so. I keep getting the same door slammed that it's not some hugh company with a big name to sue.
    I am looking for another job.. trust me!! but, the problem is I live on property as the mananger and if I get fired I am homeless. I am looking for another manangers live in position and in the mean time documenting all this stuff for my x-employee's case and my case.
    Oh, I did go to immigration and report this company. they state they are working on illegal aliens that are criminals at this time and this is kind of thing is not a priority. But, my butt is covered and can't go to jail for this due to my reporting it to immigration.
    wheww,, why be an american if we as managers are told we need to inforce all these guidelines and then when we do no one cares?
    V

That is a shame that woman lost her job for no good reason other than being an American citizen !

Maybe the female that was fired could go to the ACLU for help.

I agree, the employer is forcing you to break the law as well, you mey need to seek some kind of legal advice.

Re: Citizen Worker Question

she needs to contact the EEOC. Discrimination due to race.