Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Clinton and Obama Address La Raza Conference

Read what those traitors had to say.
    http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_203092734.html

Jul 22, 2007 9:26 pm US/Eastern

Clinton, Obama Address La Raza Conference

Rachael Aram
    Reporting

(CBS4) MIAMI BEACH As they competed Sunday to woo Hispanic voters, Hillary Clinton touted her personal connection to the community, while Barack Obama emphasized the intertwined struggles of black and Hispanic Americans

Because their platforms are so similar -- both support a path to legalization for illegal immigrants, improved border security and universal health care and preschool -- the way Clinton and Obama approach Hispanic voters will likely be key in the primary season.

The candidates spoke before roughly 2,000 Hispanic educators, activists and community and business leaders at the annual conference of the nation's largest Hispanic civil rights organization, the National Council of La Raza, in Miami Beach.

Both received strong ovations but were presented in very different settings.

A relaxed Clinton sat in a turquoise silk jacket for an informal interview with Monica Lozano, publisher of the nation's largest Spanish-language newspaper, during the event's signature Latinas Brunch.

"I told Monica we should talk like we're two girlfriends, and you just can eavesdrop," Clinton joked to the audience.

Asked how her views of Hispanics have been shaped, the New York senator and former first lady recalled registering Hispanic voters in south Texas in 1972.

And she highlighted her close relationships with prominent Hispanics, including Sen. Bob Mendendez, D-N.J.; her campaign manager, Patricia Solis Doyle; and Dolores Huerta, a longtime activist who helped found the United Farm Workers Union along with Cesar Chavez.

"It's not so much reading a briefing book or being handed a policy paper that says this is what you should say when you're in front of an audience of Latinos," Clinton said. "It's who you are and what you believe in."

Clinton ended by bringing out a mariachi band and a cake to celebrate the birthday of one of her campaign chairs, former La Raza president Raul Yzaguirre.

Obama cut a more formal presence, standing behind a podium in a dark suit and speaking directly to the crowd before taking questions.

He linked the civil rights struggles of blacks and Hispanics by quoting a 1968 telegram the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. sent Cesar Chavez during Chavez's 25-day fast on behalf of farmworkers.

"As brothers in the fight for equality," Obama quoted, "our separate struggles are really one for freedom, dignity and humanity."

That sentiment remains true today, Obama said.

"If there's a child stuck in a crumbling school who graduates without ever learning to read, it doesn't matter if that child is a Latino from Miami or an African-American from Chicago or a white girl from rural Kentucky, she's still our child, and the struggle is our struggle," he told the audience.

The Illinois senator mentioned his work to improve public housing for low-income families in Chicago and his decision to march last year with Hispanic protesters against a stringent immigration bill.

Even Obama's Reggaeton introduction music seemed a subtle reference to the connection between black and Hispanic cultures, with its mix of Latin and hip hop beats.

Both candidates promised to push for comprehensive immigration reform during their first year in office. Both stressed their support for legislation to help qualified high school graduates here illegally to attend college and eventually earn U.S. residency.

Clinton said she believed both that bill and one to create a path to citizenship for farmworkers still had a chance to pass the current Congress.

While Democrats are expected to receive the majority of the Hispanic vote, Republicans are not ready to cede the field. On Sunday, Republican hopeful Mitt Romney, who has taken a hard line on immigration, told a crowd of Republican Hispanics that they are "quintessentially American."

Romney, fellow Republican candidates Rudy Giuliani and John McCain, and Democratic candidates John Edwards and Bill Richardson were also invited to the four-day La Raza conference but did not attend.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Clinton and Obama Address La Raza Conference

Quote Originally Posted by swatchick
    Romney, fellow Republican candidates Rudy Giuliani and John McCain, and Democratic candidates John Edwards and Bill Richardson were also invited to the four-day La Raza conference but did not attend.
    Perhaps the best thing about this is to know who DIDN'T attend and who wasn't invited. Ron Paul, Tancredo and Hunter weren't invited at all.

I'm somewhat shocked that Richardson didn't show up though (maybe he's not a complete sell-out to the latino special interest groups after all).
    por las chupacabras todo, fuero de las chupacabras nada

This meeting was nothing more than a TEORRIST meeting on how they are going to take America. Whether its voter fraud, or the reconquista movement, its TERORRISM against America.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Clinton, Obama Address La Raza Conference

should read

Clinton and Obama Address Racist national group called The Race!

W

Telemundo did a report about this.
    I will have a translated video on youtube soon.
    Stay tooned.

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar
    Traitor scum. Pandering to illegal aliens who aren't even allowed to be voting.

The Democrats love to register illegal aliens to vote. To them it's just a meaningless legal technicality.
    Free Ramos and Compean NOW!

Well, these two just dug their own graves with me. I've been trying to be open-minded and I hadn't ruled anyone out yet even though when I think of Hillary, I want to hold my nose. (That's how I voted for Gore in 2000, but at least I didn't vote for Bush)

I'm glad to see those who declined the invitation to speak.
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

Hilary is a terorrist, she parlays with La Raza, a well-known terorrist group who advocates illegal immigration which is another form of terorrism.

U.S.A.- for legal citizens, not illegals!

Re: Clinton and Obama Address La Raza Conference

Clinton ended by bringing out a mariachi band and a cake to celebrate the birthday of one of her campaign chairs
    This woman makes me sick! We have to get someone like Tom Tancredo in as the new president in 2008.
    The National Council of LaRaza is the largest*hate group.

"I told Monica we should talk like we're two girlfriends, and you just can eavesdrop," Clinton joked to the audience.

Oh Hillary you are just so funny!

Barf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast