Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Colombia Free Trade Agreement - Anyone following progress?

Just curious.

I was following this a little online via CSpan and see it being debated on the floor (US House). Some intense bickering back-forth going on. It appears Bush and the Repubs that want to side with him on this are going down.
    They aren't going to get the votes to rubber-stamp Bush's wishes (for a change).

Oregon Rep. DeFazio gave a GREAT speech on the floor about 10 minutes ago that just put the hammer to the 'free traders' and did a good job in sticking up for American workers. If I can find a YouTube of this later, I'll be happy to include a link up here too. Highly recommended.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Ya thats what it sounds like, not going to get it. I just love it when Bush does not get what he wants, you can just see he is so ticked off!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Success! CAFTA derailed.

Dems engineered the move by modifying the original rules governing Fast-Track authority.

Final vote: 224 vs 195.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Phred does this mean no more fast track authority?
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

SOSAD - Oooh, that's a great question. Short answer: Not sure.

They pulled this off by adding or changing an original provision of the law dealing with Fast-Track itself. So, for this particular case, for sure that's true. I'm not 100% certain, but by the sounds of the debate (I tuned in late, to be sure...), I think your presumption is correct. The US House (the Dems, in particular) are [re]asserting their authority to establish and govern trade policy and to downplay the Executive's input in establishing policy.

About 10 Dems voted against the method used here (to derail Fast-Track), and about 2-3 Repubs voted for it. So, it was almost entirely a party-line vote.

Actually, it might appear rather minor in the larger view of things, but this is the beginning of a resurgence in a thing called democracy again. Lord, please usher in the end of the Boosh administration. America can't wait. No more imperial Presidencies for America - ever again.

Thanks Phred sorry I missed it but am hopful we are correct in our assumptson because that would be really great news!!

Hhmm, I thought that fast-track was a temporary measure whose life had already ended.....
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

OK, I have a few more details...

Apparently, what the Dems in the House did, was to include a special amendment or rule that essentially 'voids' the existing time limit which is in effect by default with respect to Fast-Track. So... the net effect, is that the time line goes past the standard 90 day limit, and there have been and as far as I know, are no votes scheduled to be done on CAFTA.

American Citizen Workers +=1;
    Boosh Administration + Big Business Lobby = 0;

Repubs that sided with Dem majority in this procedure include:
    (partial): Jones NC, Goode VA, Paul TX.

Dems that sided with the majority of Repubs AGAINST the procedure:
    (partial) Cuellar, Bean, Boyd, Boren, Cooper, Lampson, Hill, Cramer,

Good news!! Thanks for the up date Phred....I like the score!!

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE

Repubs that sided with Dem majority in this procedure include:
    (partial): Jones NC, Goode VA, Paul TX.

Yes. For those that refuse to believe that Paul isn't an open borders guy, note that he opposed both NAFTA and CAFTA.

God, Bush is a moron. How can he be so clueless about the state of the country we the people actually live in?
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." -- John Quincy Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast