Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Commentary: Hispanic voters will be Romney's biggest problem

star-telegram.com
    Editorial
    By Andres Oppenheimer
    The Miami Herald
    Posted Thursday, Jan. 12, 2012

Republican hopeful Mitt Romney will have two big problems if, as expected, he clinches the Republican nomination for the November election: his business background and Hispanic voters.

While most of the media focus on the first, Romney’s biggest problem will be the second.

Right now, political pundits in Washington are focusing on Romney’s past as former head of Bain Capital, the private equity firm that critics — including fellow Republican contender Newt Gingrich — say raided corporations and laid off thousands of workers during his tenure.

The Obama campaign is already salivating at the possibility of using this line of attack against Romney in November. At a time when jobs are the No. 1 U.S. problem, and when Romney presents himself as a successful private sector leader who could turn around the economy, depicting Romney as a job destroyer would go to the heart of the Republican campaign’s narrative.

But the former Massachusetts governor may be able to fend off attacks on his performance at Bain Capital by convincing voters that he created more jobs than he eliminated, and that most of the companies he took over ended up healthier than before. That will be a my-figures-versus-your-figures debate, which may very well end in a draw that would neutralize the Democrats’ job-killer campaign.

On the other hand, winning over the Hispanic vote will be a much tougher battle for Romney, because it will be a fight that will take place in the realm of people’s emotions, which are much harder to twist than facts.

A November poll of Latino voters by the Univisión network found that Romney does not fare well among Hispanics. The poll showed that if the elections were held today, Obama would beat Romney by 67 percent to 24 percent.

The conventional wisdom among pollsters is that no Republican candidate can win the White House with less than 40 percent of the Hispanic vote. Former President George W. Bush won the 2004 election with 40 percent of the Hispanic vote. In the 2008 elections, Republican candidate Sen. John McCain, a moderate on immigration issues, got 31 percent of the Hispanic vote, and lost the election.

Will Romney be able to win 40 percent of the Hispanic vote when, in his efforts to win the extreme right of the Republican party in the nomination process, he has taken much harder-line stands than McCain did in 2008? It will be very difficult for him to do it, most pollsters say.

In sharp contrast to McCain in the last election, Romney is strongly against an immigration reform that would give a path to citizenship to undocumented immigrants who have lived here for decades and meet certain conditions such as learning English and paying back taxes. He also strongly opposes the Dream Act, which would allow undocumented youths who were brought to this country as small children to earn legal status if they go to college or join the military.

While immigration doesn’t rank at the top of Hispanic voters’ concerns, candidates’ stands on immigration tend to mold their feelings toward politicians, and Romney’s harsh rhetoric against undocumented workers during the recent debates have left many Latinos feeling, “this guy doesn’t like us.”

My opinion: If there are no surprises and Romney wins the Republican nomination, he will need to make a dramatic move to win the Hispanic vote. Moderating his rhetoric or stressing that his father was born in Mexico —where his family of Mormon missionaries had moved — won’t suffice. There is just too much TV footage of the Republican presidential hopeful coming across as bashing Hispanic undocumented workers and their children.

There is speculation that Romney could choose Florida Sen. Marco Rubio as his running mate, in hopes of capturing the Latino vote. But that won’t work. Rubio is against a comprehensive immigration reform, opposes the Dream Act and has supported Arizona’s draconian immigration law. Except for Cuban-Americans, he is unlikely to be seen by most Hispanics as “one of us.”

Romney’s best bet would be to pick former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who is popular in Florida and would help the Republicans win the state, speaks fluent Spanish, is married to a Mexican and is much more moderate than Romney and Rubio on immigration issues.

Barring a daring move like that, Romney can’t beat Obama. Right now only a worsening economy can beat Obama.

ABOUT THE WRITER

Andres Oppenheimer is a Miami Herald syndicated columnist and a member of The Miami Herald team that won the 1987 Pulitzer Prize. He also won the 1999 Maria Moors Cabot Award, the 2001 King of Spain prize, and the 2005 Emmy Suncoast award. He is the author of Castro's Final Hour; Bordering on Chaos, on Mexico's crisis; Cronicas de heroes y bandidos, Ojos vendados, Cuentos Chinos and most recently of Saving the Americas. E-mail Andres at aoppenheimer@miamiherald.com. Live chat with Oppenheimer every Thursday at 1 p.m. at The Miami Herald.

Read more here: Commentary: Hispanic voters will be Romney's biggest problem | Guest columns | Fort Worth, Ar...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    If they are not citizens they should not be voting period. And if they are caught voting they should be deproted immediately and those who let them vote should be arrested and heavily fined.

My comment at link:

That sure didn't work for Juan McCain. He lost both demopgraphics. I don't buy that all Hispanics will vote for those pandering for amnesty. As long as illegal aliens are not allowed to vote in this election, AND THAT'S A BIG "IF" with Obama in charge of HS, Romney will get his share.

RELATED
    The 2012 Latino vote (not going to be Republican)
    http://www.alipac.us/threads/244851-The-2012-Latino-vote-(not-going-to-be-Republican)

(VIDEO AT SOURCE)
    But guess what: No way will any of us vote for the Republicans in 2012.

Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by realbsball View Post
    My comment at link:

That sure didn't work for Juan McCain. He lost both demopgraphics. I don't buy that all Hispanics will vote for those pandering for amnesty. As long as illegal aliens are not allowed to vote in this election, AND THAT'S A BIG "IF" with Obama in charge of HS, Romney will get his share.
    The media in this country acts like all Hispanics are monolithic and that isn't true. Many Hispanics of different backgrounds are against illegal immigration and amnesty. A lot of hard working patriotic Hispanics suffer because of illegal immigration in several ways such as identity theft, crime, education, and jobs. Here in New Mexico, a lot of American Hispanic tradesmen have trouble getting work because of illegals. Illegal aliens have victimized American Hispanics through various crimes. The murder of Elizabeth Pena back in the 90's is an example as well as the murder of Ruben Morfin the nephew of Lupe Moreno who runs Latino Americans for Immigration Reform.

Many intelligent American Hispanic children suffer in classrooms because of illegal alien brats.

Unfortunately the majority of Hispanics want amnesty for their illegal amigos. They are a culture dominated by a tribal mentality. Ethnicity trumps any nationalism they may feel for this country. Unless the Republicans are willing to sacrifice their loyalty to this country and respect for our immigration laws they will never get much of the Hispanic vote. Sorry, but I am a realist and it's the cold hard facts. That is one of the reasons I woud never want an amnesty for their illegal counterparts. Who needs more citizens with that kind of mindset?

Why aren't there any Hispanic-Americans organizing and protesting illegal immigration and its negative impact on their ethnic group also? Other than the now defunk group called "You Don't Speak For Me", there aren't any. Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
    Why aren't there any Hispanic-Americans organizing and protesting illegal immigration and its negative impact on their ethnic group also? Other than the now defunk group called "You Don't Speak For Me", there aren't any. Why is that?
    I think LAIR is running but I'm not sure. I think a lot Hispanics against illegal immigration find it hard to share their views so they might have hard time organizing protests to talk about the negative impact on their ethnic group.

I think a lot of Hispanics against illegal immigration usually work with the Minuteman groups and other big state and national organizations. Raymond Herrera and Rosanna Pulido are good examples of that.

Quote Originally Posted by diane85 View Post
    I think LAIR is running but I'm not sure. I think a lot Hispanics against illegal immigration find it hard to share their views so they might have hard time organizing protests to talk about the negative impact on their ethnic group.

I think a lot of Hispanics against illegal immigration usually work with the Minuteman groups and other big state and national organizations. Raymond Herrera and Rosanna Pulido are good examples of that.
    The Minuteman groups are pretty much gone now, aren't they? What are Herrera and other Hispanics doing currently to show that not all Hispanics are illegal alien advocates? Don't they realize by their silence that they are giving their entire ethnic group a bad name on this issue?