Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Congressman Charles Taylor Email to me Regarding CAFTA

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to CAFTA (the Central American Free Trade Agreement). I always appreciate hearing from constituents and greatly benefit from knowing their views.

As you are certainly aware, I voted against NAFTA (the North American Free Trade Agreement) and I view similar trade agreements with the same suspicion and wariness. International trade policies such as the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) have wreaked havoc on the economy of WNC in recent years. I strongly opposed the NAFTA agreement with Mexico and Canada because of my belief that NAFTA would degrade the quality of life which is made possible by our health, safety and environmental laws and would cost thousands of U.S. jobs. Unfortunately, this belief was well-founded: since its passage, NAFTA has devastated numerous industries and regional economies -- such as the textile manufacturing industry in WNC -- by encouraging many companies to move their operations to Mexico, attracted by cheaper labor and less stringent environmental regulations. Western North Carolina has more than shared in this economic loss, as several major employers have closed plants and laid off workers in our area. One of my primary responsibilities as Representative of the Eleventh District is to attract job opportunities to our region; NAFTA has made this goal infinitely more difficult. I am certain that CAFTA will cause similar effects. Please be assured that I will cast my vote in opposition to the Central American Free Trade Agreement.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If I can be of any further assistance regarding this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me. Additionally, if you would like to receive my weekly email update, Capitol Connection, just visit www.house.gov/charlestaylor/email.htm to sign up for the newsletter. With warmest regards, I am,
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

heck he even answer your email.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It may be just a cookie cutter response, but I'll take it.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504
    It may be just a cookie cutter response, but I'll take it.
    thats more than I ever get from Madam Dole.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Please post that response in our Oppose CAFTA Topic in the Federal Legislation Lobby catagory of these forums so others lobbying can read it.

Thanks,

W

Done

Part of my letter:

It is my sincerest hope that you vote no on CAFTA. While many big manufactures claim that is will bring economical benefits to the United States, they do no mention how it will negatively affect the small businesses and farmers of this nation. I should not have to remind you that small business is the backbone of our great country. These same large manufacturers will argue that if you say No to CAFTA, then it will bring economic havoc to out economy. That argument has been used by manufacturers since the industrial revolution and it just hasn’t stood the test of time. You only have to look at the failure of NAFTA to see the devastating effects of trade agreements on your constituents.

Several organizations are massing together and uniting, despite their opposition to each others ideals and missions. These groups are ready to support or oppose our elected leaders dependent on the outcome of their votes on CAFTA. We will not re-elect those who support this agreement...

NAFTA, CAFTA, they are all the same. If you like NAFTA, you're going to love CAFTA.......more of the same.

I am reminded of a newspaper headline I saw some time back. It read, "Sara Lee layoffs here, jobs in Mexico safe."

These treaties are not for your nor for my benefit. They are for the corporations benefits (and executive management with even more abundant compensation).

Its all about greed!
    I wonder how many illegals got their NC driver licenses renewed last week? President Bush needs to protect the borders not illegals. President Bush is a coward and guilty of treason when it comes to securing the borders.

I get a form letter back from my congress critter...it makes no mention of what I wrote about.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

My rep REPUBLICAN Bob Beuaprez said just the opposite. ".....Cafta will create jobs in Central America so they will not have to come here illegally...." I called his office and let them have it! I sent the letter right back with a few comments such as "...who the hell are you to preach to me about Central America?" I was there from 86 to 87!

Some staffer probably wrote the letter but that guy will not get my vote again! He wants amnesty too! He is a banker and ex dairy farmer.

NAFTA, CAFTA Free Trade...the destruction of America!
    It may be free but it isn't FAIR!

I called my rep Ray Lahood and the staffer said she didn't know what his position was, but generally he's supported "free trade" in the past.

She said that the CAFTA vote will be sometime in the next 2 weeks. Does anybody have an accurate read on when the vote will be?

It seems like Ray Lahood just doesn't want anyone to know his position on anything. For instance, he was one of only about 7 reps to not vote on the bill to "withdrawal from WTO" as I described here.
    http://www.alipac.org/ftopict-5368.html
    This bill only comes up for a vote once every 5 years and he didn't even vote.

Also, he was one of only about 7 reps to not vote on the "bankruptcy" bill, which was a gift to the credit card industry. Ray Lahood is the only rep in Congress to not vote on both the "withdrawal from WTO" and "bankruptcy" bills.

Now, the staffers say they don't know his stand on CAFTA. Rumor has it he's running for governor. I guess he doesn't want to do anything controversial before running for office.

I'm going to let the staffers know that if he doesn't vote or votes for CAFTA, I'm working for the opposition and I'll tell everyone not to vote for him. I'll canvass for any candidate running against him.

My senator Obama is similar. About the "Ag Jobs" amnesty, I asked what Senator Obama's stand was and the staffers said he hadn't decided yet. The next day, he co-sponsored the bill. I guess he decided that night.

I think I'm going to call Lahood's office every day until someone can tell me his stand on CAFTA.
    "We have it in our power to begin the world over again." (Thomas Paine 1776 "Common Sense") "The cause of America is in great measure the cause of all mankind." ("Common Sense")

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast