Congressman: Impeachment is in the “Realm of Possibility”

Wed, 05/15/2013 - 2:15pm | posted by Jason Pye

On Monday, Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) floated the possibility of impeaching President Barack Obama over the administration’s handling of the terrorist attack on the American compound in Benghazi:

Rep. Jason Chaffetz says President Barack Obama’s handling of the government’s response to the Benghazi terrorist attack could be an impeachable offense and vows to continue digging at the “lies of highest magnitude” from the White House.

“It’s certainly a possibility,” the Utah Republican said Monday when asked about impeachment. “That’s not the goal but given the continued lies perpetrated by this administration, I don’t know where it’s going to go. … I’m not taking it off the table. I’m not out there touting that but I think this gets to the highest levels of our government and integrity and honesty are paramount.”

Chaffetz did clarify, however, that he’s not necessarily calling for impeachment. As heexplained during an interview on CNN, he was asked about impeachment, so merely answered the question.

Chaffetz serves on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee and participated in last week’s hearing on Benghazi where three State Department whistleblowers challenged the Obama Administration’s account of attack. There was a concerted effort by the officials in the administration to blame a YouTube video for the attack and removed references to terrorism and Islamic extremism from talking points.

Of course, the term “impeachment” brings out so many emotions. The political atmosphere in Congress makes removal from office virtually impossible — the Senate would never go along with it. But with everything that has gone on in this administration — drones and military involvement without congressional approval — to the current scandals; should impeachment be considered?

Related Posts

http://www.unitedliberty.org/article...of-possibility