Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Congressman Tom Davis N. VA supports CAFTA

Here is the reply to my contacting Rep Tom Davis concerning CAFTA. Sorry I've been out for awhile. School makes it hard for me to have time for the internet, but now I should be back in the swing of things for awhile. Here goes:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding the Central American Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA). I appreciate you taking the time to share your views.

Let me begin by saying that I support CAFTA. I do so not only for the economic arguments that normally attend a pro-trade position, but also for profound foreign policy reasons. In fact, I am hard-pressed to recollect a trade agreement that has more significant ramifications for the United States and Northern Virginia.

With the exception of transportation issues, perhaps the two most prevalent concerns of my constituents are illegal immigration and the growing gang presence in Northern Virginia. As I am frequently reminded, the two issues are inextricably linked. For the arguments I will offer below, I believe CAFTA will help address these two immediate concerns.

While the five nations with whom we signed the agreement (Costa Rica, El
    Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and the Dominican Republic) are unique, they all share an urgent need for direct investment and jobs. I have always said that our best policy with respect to illegal immigration is
    promoting healthy economies abroad. Simply put, the more economic opportunity that exists at home, the less reason there is for an individual to come here illegally.

The lack of economic opportunity that fuels illegal immigration also spurs many Central American youth to join violent gangs such as MS-13. With no job and no prospects, many of these young people seek the acceptance and status that such gangs have to offer. These same gang members then cross our borders, recruit new members, and menace our own communities.

Thus, in this instance, I am perhaps more concerned with the benefits of CAFTA to the would-be trading partners than to the United States. As trade agreements go, CAFTA is small in terms of dollar figures. Currently, U.S. exports to the CAFTA nations total about $15 billion per year, and this number would increase by about $4 billion in the first year. The United States Chamber of Commerce has estimated that this would translate into 25,000 new jobs in the U.S. in the first year, and approximately 130,000 over the next decade. These figures are not insignificant, but they are not staggering either.

However, the net positive effect on our Central American neighbors could be immeasurable. The agreement will institutionalize free market democratic reforms, allow Central American countries to better enforce important labor laws, and boost economic development opportunities throughout the region. With greater investment in these burgeoning economies, more citizens will be able to find work, thus lowering the incentive for local criminal behavior and illegal immigration to the U.S. in search of employment.

Moreover, our support of this agreement sends a clear signal that we will stand with our Central American allies as they embrace freedom and oppose the radical Marxist ideologies espoused by their neighbors Fidel Castro of Cuba and Hugo Chavez of Venezuela. Finally, CAFTA ensures a positive working relationship with Central Americaâ€â€
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

How come these guys all gloss over the 28,ooo pages and say nothing about the united Nations and our sovereignty.

These people are traitors to Americans by using trade as a stealth foreign aid pact. Americans are going to be funding this nightmare. Ask him how many jobs were created in the USA because of NAFTA.

This guy should be prosecuted for treason.
    Is this Mexico or the USA