Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Congresswoman, bishop urge passage of STRIVE immigration law

Congresswoman, bishop urge passage of STRIVE immigration law

http://www.the-tidings.com/2007/092107/immigration.htm

By Ellie Hidalgo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

California Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard pledged to continue the struggle for comprehensive immigration reform legislation --- particularly the STRIVE Act --- during a meeting with a Boyle Heights parish and Auxiliary Bishop Oscar Solis.

The Dolores Mission Church community --- pastored by recently appointed Jesuit Father Scott Santarosa --- gathered with the Los Angeles congresswoman and the bishop Sept. 13 to secure her continued support.

Juan Salas, a married man caring for his 14-year-old son, a three-year-old daughter, and a six-month old nephew, gave a tearful testimony about his inability to secure legalization for his wife.

A Mexican native who became a citizen in 2000, Salas submitted paperwork for his wife Ana Luisa to receive permanent residency in the United States. The couple waited for a year and then were given a date for an appointment to meet with immigration officials in Juarez, Mexico.

In early August, said Salas speaking in Spanish, his wife passed her medical exam and was given another appointment with the U.S. Consulate. But after four hours, Ana Luisa came out crying, having been told that there was not enough evidence to regularize her legal status.

Being married to a U.S. citizen and having children who are U.S. citizens and who need the care of their mother was not a sufficient reason to grant her a pardon for having lived in the U.S. illegally. Without the possibility of regularizing her status, Ana Luisa had to stay in Mexico and Juan returned to the U.S. without his wife.

"What happened hurts me deeply, because I am alone with our children," said Salas, his voice breaking. "My daughter asks for her mother all the time. Sometimes, at night, she begins to cry and to ask for her mother, and she wonders why her mother is not with us.

"I really want to see a change in immigration law because right now the system is separating many families like mine, many times without reason," Salas continued. "I urge you, Congresswoman Roybal-Allard, to support our community so that immigration laws do not harm our families, but rather, they help us to be able to live with dignity."

During the action, facilitated by community leaders Lidia Garcí¡*and Ana Zarceñ¯¬*Roybal-Allard agreed to oppose any enforcement only immigration reform proposals that come to a vote before House. She also agreed to meet with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and other congressional representatives to do everything possible to bring the STRIVE Act (H.R. 1645) to a vote before the November elections.

The STRIVE (Security Through Regularized Immigration and a Vibrant Economy) Act would establish new programs for undocumented workers and new immigrant workers to achieve legal citizenship. It would also reduce visa backlogs and provide for the reunification of family members due to their migratory status. The bill would toughen border security, increase criminal penalties for illegal immigration, and establish an employer verification system to identify undocumented workers.

"STRIVE isn't what you or I would have liked in terms of comprehensive immigration reform," said Roybal-Allard. However, she added, "this bill is the final product of more than 12 years of fighting to pass a law that would create a path to legalization for millions of people who have lived in the shadows for many years."

The congresswoman noted that the Congressional Hispanic Caucus has persisted in fighting for comprehensive immigration reform and challenging anti-immigrant laws. She agreed to return to the Dolores Mission community in early 2008 to give an account of her continued efforts to pass legislation benefiting immigrant families.

Bishop Solis, who heads Ethnic Ministries for the archdiocese, joined the Dolores Mission Community to express the continued solidarity and concern of the church with undocumented immigrants and their families.

"Our Catholic Church shares your dreams to find a home here in the United States --- a country that will respect your rights and will safeguard your dignity as human beings," said Bishop Solis.

During the community meeting, Roybal-Allard was given hundreds of letters from parishioners urging her and Pelosi to oppose enforcement-only measures and to work for passage of the STRIVE Act.

Following the gathering, she told The Tidings that letters and phone calls from constituents "makes a big, big difference" in swaying legislators' votes.

"Keep writing letters to the leadership, especially to the Republicans and those who have been opposed to immigration reform," said Robal-Allard. "Try and get as many voters in their districts to make phone calls, e-mails, whatever it is to just say, 'We need to have immigration reform. We need to do it this year.'"

Sometimes I cry ... I cry because I don't have enough money at the end of the month to pay my bills ...because, well, my TAXES are too high, due to illegal aliens raping and robbing our welfare roles in OUR country, even though they weren't born here, aren't legal here, and snuck across the border like thieves to get in here.

That's what makes ME sad. After paying taxes all my life, my government will most likely turn its back on me when it comes time to pay my social security benefits, and I will be living even lower on the quality of life scale than I already am, because my social security will probalby also have been given away.

I also cry at the thousands of Americans who have died at the hands of criminal illegal aliens who preyed upon them and whose deaths would not have occured had these people not come illegal over the border.

I also cry at the denigration of our neighborhoods that were once beautiful, our schools that were once revered and financially sound, our roads, that used to be safe.

I cry a lot, too -- for my country, which at the moment, seems to be up for sale to the highest bidder, and means nothing to anyone at all, except perhaps, that it is one big meal ticket for whoever can't make it in their own country.

I cry, too . . .for a lot of reasons.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmm
    Sometimes I cry ... I cry because I don't have enough money at the end of the month to pay my bills ...because, well, my TAXES are too high, due to illegal aliens raping and robbing our welfare roles in OUR country, even though they weren't born here, aren't legal here, and snuck across the border like thieves to get in here.

That's what makes ME sad. After paying taxes all my life, my government will most likely turn its back on me when it comes time to pay my social security benefits, and I will be living even lower on the quality of life scale than I already am, because my social security will probalby also have been given away.

I also cry at the thousands of Americans who have died at the hands of criminal illegal aliens who preyed upon them and whose deaths would not have occured had these people not come illegal over the border.

I also cry at the denigration of our neighborhoods that were once beautiful, our schools that were once revered and financially sound, our roads, that used to be safe.

I cry a lot, too -- for my country, which at the moment, seems to be up for sale to the highest bidder, and means nothing to anyone at all, except perhaps, that it is one big meal ticket for whoever can't make it in their own country.

Thank you

CR
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmm

You should send this to your Rep and Senators.

It's time to turn your sadness into rage, because force, anger, and rage are all that these people understand. It's the only thing that get's through the money that is showering them, because a preceived threat to their livelihood is the only thing they will ever notice or ever understand. All of you need to get something through your head, your "representatives" are not on capital hill to represent you. You have a select few, but most are under the umbrella of corruption, so rage is all they will understand.
    "When the Government Fears the People, there is Liberty. When the People Fear the Government, there is Tyranny."

Thomas Jefferson

First off, we REALLY need to add that 'playing the world's saddest song on the world's smallest violin' emoticon to our selection.

"What happened hurts me deeply, because I am alone with our children," said Salas, his voice breaking. "My daughter asks for her mother all the time. Sometimes, at night, she begins to cry and to ask for her mother, and she wonders why her mother is not with us.

"I really want to see a change in immigration law because right now the system is separating many families like mine, many times without reason," Salas continued. "I urge you, Congresswoman Roybal-Allard, to support our community so that immigration laws do not harm our families, but rather, they help us to be able to live with dignity."
    You know, when an American criminal is caught they a) at least recognize that they did something wrong and b) understand that there is punishment for their crime. A bank robber could just as easily say that they robbed because they wanted a better life for their family but most don't. Most do not start crying and ask that the laws be changed or say that they shouldn't be sent to prison because it will harm their family.
    What I find troubling is that there does not seem to be any sense of right and wrong. Notice how this individual at no time takes responsibility for the fact that it is his actions and those of his wife that got them into this situation in the first place. Nor does he blame the gov. of Mexico for providing it's citizens with such a dismal standard of living. No, it is easier to blame the 'broken immigration system' and 'mean people' who simply refuse to give his wife citizenship that she does not deserve. It is always somebody else's fault. There is no sense of personal responsibility ever. And they have learned that whenever things don't go their way, call LaRaza and a reporter.
    I fail to see how millions of people of this mindset are going to be anything other than a dead weight on US society forever if granted amnesty.

It's time to turn your sadness into rage
    jjmm,
    Turn the anger, fear and sadness....into your Power....pray hard and get active...this the prescription I used....and I am healed

I started...at this board...yes I tried other boards...but it was not what I needed....here I learned...I am never stopped or controlled by my fear anymore....I realized I was not alone....and that gave me POWER....and I found my voice....
    bottom line you must get active...and armed with knowledge
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Roybal-Allard only keeps her job because of illegal aliens. She represents downtown LA, which is probably 70% illegal aliens. What else would she say?