Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Conservatives Woo Hispanics

Conservatives Woo Hispanics
    Friday, 19 Feb 2010 09:19 AM
    Article Font Size

By: Casey Curlin

A conservative group has begun a new initiative to bring Hispanics into their movement by emphasizing traditional social issues, but the fight over immigration may prove this to be a futile effort.

The American Principles Project announced this week its Latino Partnership for Conservative Principles, a new initiative that will promote conservative values in the Hispanic community and attempt to persuade conservatives on immigration reform, opening doors to a possible untapped mass of support in the nation's growing Hispanic community.

"We believe that it is time that the conservative movement proactively and intelligently reach out to Latinos, because we believe strongly that Latinos are conservative, that Latino values are conservative values," said Alfonso Aguilar, a spokesman for the partnership.

Clarissa Martinez De Castro, the director of immigration and national campaigns at the National Council of La Raza, agreed that Hispanics are traditionally socially conservative and pro-family.

But she said the immigration issue is so important to Hispanic voters that conservatives, who generally oppose paths to citizenship and favor tighter border security, would have to clearly change their stances to have many more Hispanics vote for them.

Many Republicans "have used the issue in a way that has demonized the Latino community," Ms. Martinez De Castro said.

Statistics appear to support Ms. Martinez De Castro's statement that immigration is the biggest factor in Hispanic political sidings. A 2009 study by America's Voice, an immigration reform organization, found that 82 percent of Hispanics said the immigration issue is "very important" or "somewhat important" to them and their families. Additionally, 69 percent said they personally know an undocumented immigrant.

But educating Hispanics on conservative political views is only half of the struggle, according to the Latino Partnership, which supports comprehensive immigration reform that legalizes undocumented immigrants, with a penalty for entering the country illegally.

The group said its initiative also would focus on educating conservatives about Hispanic values and immigration reform to achieve its goal, saying that people are angry with big government policies and the Hispanic vote is needed to see the conservative movement expand.

Mr. Aguilar was optimistic about conservative acceptance of immigration reform. He acknowledged that many conservatives may not come out in support of reform immediately but that as the Hispanic vote continues to increase, they will see the demographic necessity to back reform.

The U.S. Census Bureau in 2009 reported that the number of Hispanic voters increased by 2 million in the 2008 presidential election compared to the 2004 election, while the number of non-Hispanic white voters was not statistically different from 2004.

Although President George W. Bush's plan for immigration reform was not highly regarded among Democrats or Republicans in 2007, Grover Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform and a member of the Latino Partnership's board of advisers, said President Obama has yet to produce immigration reform legislation.

"We now have a Democratic president, an overwhelmingly Democratic Senate, an overwhelmingly Democratic House, and they've done nothing in the last year," he said. "It was Republicans like [President] Reagan, that began, and Bush, which we said, that started to get a handle on coming up with a reasonable immigration policy that benefits the country."

http://newsmax.com/Politics/Conservativ ... /id/350312

Excuse me, but Hispanics, YOU change YOUR VIEWS ON ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT INVASION OF THE U.S., CONSERVATIVES DO NOT!!! IF YOU WANT TO BE A U.S. CITIZEN WITH ALL THE BENEFITS, YOU HAVE TO CONDONE ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION AND ACCEPT AMERICAN VALUES AND CULTURE AND ITS LANGUAGE!!!!!

Grover Norquist is very mistaken if he believes Conservatives are going to go for this Amnesty promise to Hispanics bullcrap.
    W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

But she said the immigration issue is so important to Hispanic voters that conservatives, who generally oppose paths to citizenship and favor tighter border security, would have to clearly change their stances to have many more Hispanics vote for them.
    That is just so much more NCLR blather. Why should Americans that are loyal to this country change their ways to please one group.
    And I doubt any Latino that came here the legal way is very pleased to see illegals getting all the goodies from taxpayers, when that legal immigrant has undoubtedly become a taxpayer.
    There is a huge difference between legal and illegal immigrant, something the NCLR prefers to ignore every chance they get. There is also a huge difference between American citizens and illegals, which I am sure will come as a surprise to NCLR.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I am continually offended that organizations such as laraza continue to push the myth that all latinos think alike.

I do NOT want amnesty for those who are here illegally, I want them DEPORTED!!! I want ENFORCEMENT!! I will not vote for anyone who supports rewarding disrespectful, arrogant, law-breaking, opportunistic illegal aliens with a free pass in the US!!
    "

"We now have a Democratic president, an overwhelmingly Democratic Senate, an overwhelmingly Democratic House, and they've done nothing in the last year," he said. "It was Republicans like [President] Reagan, that began, and Bush, which we said, that started to get a handle on coming up with a reasonable immigration policy that benefits the country."
    Exactly, the Republicans (they left out John Insane) are the ones who have done the most damage with open borders. It's about cheap labor for their big business donors at the expense of the American taxpayers. Greed and exploitation. Not that the Dems won't put down the welcome mat, for them its votes and power. Both parties are despicable.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPatriot
    Exactly, the Republicans (they left out John Insane) are the ones who have done the most damage with open borders. It's about cheap labor for their big business donors at the expense of the American taxpayers. Greed and exploitation. Not that the Dems won't put down the welcome mat, for them its votes and power. Both parties are despicable.

KICKTHEMALLOUT!!!

Kathyet

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    I am continually offended that organizations such as laraza continue to push the myth that all latinos think alike.

I do NOT want amnesty for those who are here illegally, I want them DEPORTED!!! I want ENFORCEMENT!! I will not vote for anyone who supports rewarding disrespectful, arrogant, law-breaking, opportunistic illegal aliens with a free pass in the US!!
    I totally agree with you miguelina. I'm constantly offended by the La Raza and similar groups. I'm also offended that many politicians think all Hispanics/Latinos have the same beliefs. The reality is that Hispanics come from different backgrounds when it comes to ethnicity, economic class and environments. Many Hispanics are against illegal immigration and have been hurt by illegal immigration in various ways. Ramos, Compean and Gil Hernandez served time in prison for doing their jobs trying to keep illegals from committing crimes. Many Hispanics have been victims of identity theft and other crimes. Elizabeth Pena wan an innocent American Hispanic teen who was raped and murdered along with her Jennifer Ertman by an illegal. La Raza will never address how illegal immigration has hurt many Hispanics in this country. I'm sure Elizabeth Pena's family are offened like you and me miguelina. Nacho Ramos' wife Monica also stood up hospital personnel a couple of years back when her son was sick and the hospital wouldn't admit him. Monica right away told hospital officials that if she and her son were illegals they would have been admitted right away. I bet if politicians were to talk to the Pena, Ramos, Compean, and Hernandez families they would understand how badly people have been hurt by illegal immigration.
    ProEnglish:The English Language Advocates
    http://www.proenglish.org/

I cant stand LIARS...

I really Cant Stand Liars...

Many Republicans "have used the issue in a way that has demonized the Latino community," Ms. Martinez De Castro said.

NO MS DE CASTRATE...YOU have demonized Americans and called them racist because they oppose giving Amnesty to those who would disrespect our laws and our country. YOU have demonized ALL hispanics by calling it a HISPANIC issue and not a legal or immigration issue...

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    Grover Norquist is very mistaken if he believes Conservatives are going to go for this Amnesty promise to Hispanics bullcrap.
    W
    Grover Norquist is a traitor. Why CPAC or Republicans have anything to do with him is beyond me.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast