Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Construction Worker Near Needing Assistance

This was posted on another forum I post on. It broke my heart.

My husband has worked in construction for the last 23 years. Used to make good money. We live in a small town on the East coast. Last year he only made $23,000 before taxes. He is out of work on average 2 weeks out of each month. He looks for work every day. There is none. He has known these builders all of his life. They all say they would love to have him do their work, but he can't do it as cheap or quickly as the "others" do. One of the "others" received a 1099 from one of these builders for over $300,000 last year.

It is sad, and very scary. If the trend continues we will need to apply for assistance. Very hard for a 55 year old man who has worked hard all of his life. God help us all.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Gogo, good luck to both of you

R
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thanks, Gogo for that post. I think Rockfish might have thought you were speaking about your own situation, but I believe it was something that you saw posted.

It is SAD, SAD, SAD what has been done to those Americans who are and were in the construction industry.

I know these stories are rampant around our country.

These people are certainly unprotected and apparently unappreciated by both our president, the Democrats (Teddy Boy) and many Republicans.

We most definitely should have them in our prayers and a focus of our efforts.

Construction

It is country wide. I am a G.C. in so. Ca. and do my own hands on work with American citizen workers, who only have their own families living in their homes. Our quality of work keeps us busy from referral only, but now a days I get about 1 job for every 15 estimates. Even if I worked for cash I couldn't compete. People complain about the mexican workers and their craftsmanship but still hire them just to save money. If the government would enforce the law about hiring illegals, it would make a more level playing field.

Re: Construction

Quote Originally Posted by chopper
    It is country wide. I am a G.C. in so. Ca. and do my own hands on work with American citizen workers, who only have their own families living in their homes. Our quality of work keeps us busy from referral only, but now a days I get about 1 job for every 15 estimates. Even if I worked for cash I couldn't compete. People complain about the mexican workers and their craftsmanship but still hire them just to save money. If the government would enforce the law about hiring illegals, it would make a more level playing field.
    That's why I get so angry to hear people say "they here doing jobs Americans won't do." Ya, they won't do it for the wages they will pay the illegals or do it the down and dirty job quality.

I live in a Del Webb community. The plastic was actually falling off of the houses because the illegals were mixing the stucco thin and stealing bags of materials. The construction here is just terrible. I'm so glad I didn't buy and I'm leasing.

Construction worker near needing assistance

I am nearly in the same boat, but I am a union member. Our union has been going overboard to sign in anyone, even illegals--and as we know there are many of 'em in construction. I want to find other union members opposed to this trend--I know most of them probably are, but are afraid to buck the trend of the "leaders". Our Carpenters Union has joined the "Change to Win" Coalition---their big change was signing up illegal workers. I hope the Teamsters (who belong to CTW) are putting up a good fight against Mexican Trucking.

My advice to you: 1. Navigate yourself into a favorable position with your states unemployment system. I have had to rely on UI for years, even before immigration became a factor in the job scene. Make sure you always get enough weeks and/or hours to remain eleigible. Make sure you know all the rules. 2. You can legally do some kinds of work while receiving UI: work on your own home is legal; I was also told work on an investment is legal. Working under the table for wages is not.

Let's get union members together to stop the treason lobby. America needs hard working union members. Most of our need for immigrants has resulted from too many college educated elites who accomplish nothing practical.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David

It makes me so mad that illegals are forcing Americans out of jobs
    and ruining our economy. Corporations, unions, government and
    everybody esle are all catering to illegals. Our middle class is
    quickly dissolving.

Welcome CaptainRon! I'm sorry to sat that you needn't expect much help from the Teamsters aside from lip service! They, along with the AFLCIO and most other labor unions are talking out of both sides of their mouth on the subject. Although Hoffa Jr. did join the lawsuit against Mexican truckers recently, it was only to appease the trucking division of the Union. He is on record as saying he is interested in organizing illegals but opposed to the Mexican trucks....sort that one out in a logical mind! If you go back and look at video of the 2006 pro-illegals May Day marches you will find union officers shaking hands and hugging illegals all across this country!

You are absolutely right about the quality of work on the construction jobs too. Two years ago a spec house was built across the road from me by a fly-by-night el cheapo contractor who used illegal labor. All you heard from dawn til dusk was Spanish music and Spanish chatter mixed with the pecking away of hammers and the whine of Skillsaws. Apparently he also had a illegal alien foreman who was particularily unskilled and working without GC supervision. One day I inspected the framing after they left and found numerous flaws such as out-of-plumb studs and interior walls in strange places. On day two there was a window frame studded in because the window had been placed in the wrong location originally, and walls moved. I guess the blueprint wasn't in Spanish? Of course most structural flaws are hidden when the drywall goes up, but what about the quality of wiring, plumbing, etc. which you cannot readily see? When you pay for something as expensive as a home you should expect quality that will last, not something you will constantly be repairing in the future! Wake up America! Look for value in quality as well as price. "Cheap" means exactly what it says...suppport America and buy American! Lock up employers who hire illegals and half the problem is solved!

Thank you for your input. I had no idea that the Teamster's were backing the illegals. Do the average Democrats know this. This is scandalous. I bet if the average American heard this about the Teamster's they would be up in arms. Where are the swift boater types on this one?

I had no idea that the Teamster's were backing the illegals. Do the average Democrats know this. This is scandalous. I bet if the average American heard this about the Teamster's they would be up in arms.
    Oh, I think they know Gogo, they just choose to remain in denial! You know how it is in politics anyway...say whatever gets the most support on a given day - Integrity be damned! My experience is that even if Teamster members speak out they are ignored or shouted down. (That is why their established membership is dropping! If it weren't for organizing to bring new members in, the Teamsters would already be little more than a memory...) A national movement currently underway by UPS employees to leave the Teamsters and form their own union (the APWA) may well be the final nail in that coffin. An eleventh hour proposed deal between the IBT and UPS on pension and health reform may swing the pendulum back towards the Teamsters. A reasonable mind would question why it took tens of years to straighten out the pension mess and why "suddenly" with a new contract looming the IBT is promoting a UPS plan to "jointly" manage a new fund. Appears the IBT is taking the UPS employee's plans to break away as very threatening and are grasping at straws!

For more on organized labor and their stand on illegals check out:

http://www.nlpc.org/pdfs/union_immigrat ... _24_06.pdf[/quote]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast