Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CSpan2 US Senate 10/18/07

Let me take care of some housekeeping and disclaimer first off - so everyone will have a clear understanding of what is going on here.

1. Object of focus here is the [yes, ho-hum, re-]introduction of the DREAM Act. It was assumed that it would be introduced as a stand-alone (separate) bill. However, some say, that it could also be introduced as an amendment to the Labor/HHS bill.

2. I can't maintain this thread very long this morning - so unless someone else is able to jump in and update it, well, the info could be wanting or incomplete at best.

3. I am monitoring the CSpan2 feed this morning. They are now speaking about the Labor/HHS bill. No mention of DREAM act thus far.

8:33am PT.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The below is unrelated to DREAM Act / Immigration legislation:

I couldn't help but think about this as I am monitoring the "stuff" in the Senate this morning.

Sen. Coburn (R-OK) was just speaking about fiscal policy, economics, the irresponsibility of the government in crafting budget legislation, the weakening of the dollar in the global realm, etc. - very passionately, by the way - it was a good speech. When he wrapped up his comments he said, something very close to this (grossly paraphrased):

"About a year and a half ago, I said it then, and it is even more true today - there is a rumble in America. People are unhappy with their government, and we fail to listen to their concerns. There is a rumble in America...." [Note 'rumble' as in mass disapproval, not street brawl]

I don't agree with Coburn 100% of the time (I don't agree with any senator 100% of the time!) but, he is well educated, sharp, and I think, is genuine in his beliefs. He seems like a very good senator to me.
    (His voting record on immigration is not perfect, but pretty darn good overall). I wish I had a senator like him.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

***Important Update***

Sen. Ensign (R-NV) now proposing two amendments to Labor/HHS bill

1. To disallow (?) enacting of the SSTA with Mexico.

2. To address ID Theft and Social Security fraud and use of by people not having legitimate or stolen SS#s

------------------------------------

Need text of amendments when available folks. I didn't catch the amendment numbers either. If someone has those, please post back here so I can incorporate them into our information on the subject (thanks in advance).

10:03am PT

Senator Ensign just said he has 2 amendments

1. No SS totalization agreement with Mexico

2. No SS benefits to be given to those who use stolen or fraudulent SSN's.

He didn't give any amendment #'s. Only spoke for about 1 minute.

Just got in Phrede I don't even have the TV on. I'll turn it on. I'll be in and out today too, so we need someone else to help with this.

April
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogo
    Just got in Phrede I don't even have the TV on. I'll turn it on. I'll be in and out today too, so we need someone else to help with this.
    Here is link to watch CSPAN on computer! Today is such a busy day, anyone with updates, please feel free to jump in and post!!!

C-Span2
    http://c-span.org/watch/cs_cspan2_wm.as ... V&Code=CS2

Global warming ya da ya da ya da.

More global warming

McCaskill angry over S-chip veto. The House failed to override the veto.

"No wonder our phones are ringing off the hook."

Hey don't tell me its about the S-chip folks its about the Dream Act.

April
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogo
    McCaskill angry over S-chip veto. The House failed to override the veto.

"No wonder our phones are ringing off the hook."

Hey don't tell me its about the S-chip folks its about the Dream Act.
    You are doing great with the updates, GOGO!!! Keep up the good work!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast