Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CSULB student turns to PayPal donations to cover tuition

CSULB student turns to PayPal donations to cover tuition
    By Kelly Puente, Staff Writer Posted: 10/19/2011 07:35:11 PM PDT

LONG BEACH — The last school year has been tough for Cal State Long Beach senior Daniel Orozco.

Hit with higher tuition, the recent loss of his job and unable to receive financial aid because of his status as an undocumented immigrant, Orozco, 22, is worried he won't be able to pay the final $1,600 installment for his fall tuition.

"If I can't make the payment by the deadline on Oct. 26, I'll have to withdraw from classes and won't be able to graduate next spring," he said. "I'm pretty close to rock bottom at this point."

As a last-ditch effort, the psychology major came up with a unique plan - a website called "Daniel's Journey Toward Graduation" where people can donate money through PayPal to help him pay his tuition by next week's deadline. The website shares tidbits about his life and struggles as a college student.

So far, he has raised $1,089 through friends, former teachers and a few anonymous donors. Orozco said he hopes donors will see it as an investment in a young student's future.

"What do I have to lose?" he asked. "With a little help, I know I can finish college and go on to make a difference in the world."

Like many students in California's public universities, Orozco is struggling with the higher cost of tuition. The California State University Board of Trustees this summer approved a 12 percent tuition hike, bumping the annual cost for a full-time undergraduate up to $5,472 - more than triple what students paid
    Advertisement
    a decade ago.

Orozco, who came here illegally from Mexico with his parents at age 7, faces additional challenges as an undocumented immigrant.

Immigration advocates scored a major victory this month when Gov. Jerry Brown signed part of the controversial DREAM Act allowing undocumented students access to state financial aid. But the law won't go into effect until 2013, leaving Orozco to fend for himself this year.

Orozco hopes to be the first in his family to earn a college diploma. The young Tustin resident commutes to school each morning at 6:30 a.m. and says he works hard to maintain a 3.5 grade point average.

He plans to go on to earn a master's degree in social work with a special focus on military families.

"I always wanted to join the military but couldn't because of my immigration status so this is another way I can help," he said.

Aside from financial hardship, Orozco also faces personal struggles. He left his mother's home at age 17 because of family turmoil and stayed on friends' couches for a few years before moving in with his estranged father.

This year, he was diagnosed with depression and attention deficit disorder. He lost his job as a server at Lazy Dog Cafe two months ago.

But despite the difficult year, Orozco is remaining optimistic. He's working on a budget for his spring tuition and still plans to graduate in 2012.

"I'm going through a lot of difficulties financially, and some emotionally, but I chose to persevere," he said. "I've worked too hard to quit now."

For more information visit: http://danieljourneygraduation.bbnow.org/donate.php

kelly.puente@presstelegram.com, (562) 499-1305

http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_19149914
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Sam's passing the hat around!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Going to college is no garantee of a better life. Everyone wants to graduate and get a job sitting at a desk pushing button. You can be the best button pusher in the world but if there is no skilled labor to make the products or box and ship them what good is a button pusher? John Ratzenbergers latest comment on the problem in America hit the nail on the head. We're loosing our skilled labor force. No one knows how to do anything beyond pushing buttons on their Iphone or Ipad.
    If these illegal students would graduate and go back to their country to make a better place, I say great. but I doubt that will happen. What's wrong with the universities south of the border? I seem to remember US students attending medical schools in south america back in The 70's & 80's.

"I always wanted to join the military but couldn't because of my immigration status so this is another way I can help," he said.
    Go join mexico's army since that is your country. You do not belong here. Go home!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Since he's not authorized to work here, I hope his degree will greatly benefit the citizens of Mexico.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Mexico's Street Kids. Mexico has always had a culture of kids begging on the streets, now they beg here in the U.S. on the internet.

They obviously have no fear of being deported for being here illegally. They have learned to play the victim game. They are no different then the urchins I saw on the streets of Juarez in the 70's.

Hey Orozco you are not our responsibility. You are a thief everytime you go to class you are stealing from the American youth. The legal American citizens that can't get into class because they are too full. The citizens that have a right to work in the U.S.

You want to blame someone for your situation? Blame your parents! Such good parents that brought you here for a better life? Yeh right, one only has to read your pity story to see the truth in that.