Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Cubans in U.S. less fearful on immigration

http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?sid=4738ab0cba96029b

Sunday 10th September, 2006

Cubans in U.S. less fearful on immigration
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big News Network.com Friday 25th August, 2006 (UPI)

Cuban-Americans are less likely than other Hispanics to see the immigration debate as heightening discrimination, the Washington-based Pew Hispanic Center said.

In a report released Friday, the center said its 2006 National Survey of Latinos, found that 45 percent of self-described Cubans said discrimination against Hispanics was a major problem. That compares to 65 percent of Central and South Americans in the United States, 59 percent of Puerto Ricans and 58 percent of Mexicans, the center said.

Politically, the Cuban vote is hardly a bloc: 28 percent of those asked said they were Republicans, 20 percent Democrats and 27 independent.

Looking at data from the 2004 America Community Survey, the center said 25 percent of Cubans 25 and older have a college degree, about double the rate of the overall Hispanic population in the United States; and some 49 percent are high school graduates, which is about the same as the general Hispanic population (47 percent).

The Pew Hispanic Center said there are some 1.5 million people who call themselves Cubans living in the United States. Nearly 1 million of them live in Florida.
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Cubans do not want those illegals here and make it known in Miami. The other thing about Cubans is that they think that they are above other Hispanics as they look to them as low lifes.
    In the article you provided, it claims more Cubans have degrees than other Hispanics. That is due to Clinton's wet foot dry foot policy where if they touch land in the United States they can stay and obtain residency. Other Hispanics cannot get degrees if they are illegal as they are considered international students and have to pay a small fortune to go to school. Also there are numerous scholarships for students of Cuban background that are unavailible to other Hispanic groups.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I know. I lived all my life, till July, in Miami. If you saw my story, you'd know exactly how I feel about the wet foot, dry foot policy.

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-25749-.html

Here, if you're interested.
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Curiouspat I agree with your article and would like to add that the ones coming now are criminals. We see it all the time. One Cuban got city money to build low income housing and built himself a mansion and was buying houses and fixing them up and flipping them. He has finally been caught and is behind bars. He never built one low income house.
    Now we are having problems with those who got out of prison here who had come on the Mariel boat lift out of Cuba. There were numerous rapes and homicides after they arrived and close to 2000 of them were arrested not long after entering this country. Due to the nature of their crimes, they have made criminal registration but yet when we went to check on them and get DNA swabs (to check on old unsolved cases). Out of 5 places we visited only one gave their correct address and was staying with relatives. We got addresses in the middle of canals in Hialeah at times and other times they were in several locations and disappeared.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

yep...funny thing...criminals for some silly reason don't want to follow the law.

We used to get addresses in the middle of Biscayne Bay.
    TIME'S UP!

For the most part Cubans learn ENGLISH and have a desire
    to better themselves. Many are educated and come from situations
    where they had money but had to flee under Castro's reign.

I'm sorry but other no other ethnic group I've personally encountered
    has the attitudes and feelings of entitlement like these illegals
    in Mexifornia. They are sickening.
    Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed.
    Always aim at purifying your thoughts and everything will be well.
    Mahatma Gandhi

sunsetincali,

This was true of the first group that came when Castro took power. I was in high school in Miami at the time...

But from the Mariel Boatlift on...it's been different. Many do NOT learn English. There are so many Hispanics in Miami, that many go there whole lives, doing just fine in Spanish. Remember, we also have Central and South Americans.

I won't even go into the last 10 years. Let's just say that my Cuban-American friends hate it. Most Cubans now are so different. They've been raised under Communism, and for the most part are Communists. They expect, no , demand social svcs. Totally different culture from the Cubans who came first and were educated. Not all of course, but many.
    TIME'S UP!

I agree with Curiouspat as he is correct. There are some generations of Cuban dissent are disguisted with some of their own people. I have heard it from them. They do not like the feel sorry for me attitude that many have. Many forget that there are also many others who escaped the former Soviet Union, came over here, learned English and became intergrated in our culture. You do not hear them wanting sympathy or special treatment.

Exactly.

BTW...I'm cpatricia!

Don't worry, happens all the time!!!
    TIME'S UP!

Quote Originally Posted by curiouspat
    sunsetincali,

This was true of the first group that came when Castro took power. I was in high school in Miami at the time...

But from the Mariel Boatlift on...it's been different. Many do NOT learn English. There are so many Hispanics in Miami, that many go there whole lives, doing just fine in Spanish. Remember, we also have Central and South Americans.

[quote:2o4vn28z]I won't even go into the last 10 years. Let's just say that my Cuban-American friends hate it. Most Cubans now are so different. They've been raised under Communism, and for the most part are Communists. They expect, no , demand social svcs. Totally different culture from the Cubans who came first and were educated. Not all of course, but many.
    [/quote:2o4vn28z]

curiouspat, this is something I've also heard, but never had the opportunity to ask anyone about: why do you think that these people escape Communist Cuba, only to come here and be hostile to the US? If they like the Communist system so much, why don't they stay in Cuba? Can you offer any insight?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast