Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GFC

Day laborer FAQ insanity

http://www.daylabor.org/faq.htm#1

Questions and Answers

Why do the day laborers in our community continue to loiter in the area?

Day laborers both need and want to work. Their "loitering" is merely waiting for work. Once a corner or a spot becomes known as a good source of employment, it is difficult to eliminate it without offering a more attractive location. Without an alternative source of employment, day laborers will continue to loiter in spite of efforts to chase them away.

When I shop at the building supply store, the day laborers always crowd around my car and scare me. Are day laborers dangerous?

The Day Labor Research Institute has been monitoring crimes involving day laborers for over six years. Based on six years of reports, we have to conclude that, in spite of negative stereotypes that portray day laborers as dangerous, day laborers are no more likely to be violent or to commit crimes than non-day laborers. While being “swarmedâ€

GFC, I appreciate your post since my craft is in competiton with these day laborers. But could you condense it down a quite a bit---and also provide some of your own analysis. I think too many people place excessively lengthy articles on here, and most of us don't have enough time to read them in their entirety.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Day laborers both need and want to work. Their "loitering" is merely waiting for work. Once a corner or a spot becomes known as a good source of employment, it is difficult to eliminate it without offering a more attractive location. Without an alternative source of employment, day laborers will continue to loiter in spite of efforts to chase them away.
    I thought prostitutes are generally arrested for doing virtually the same thing.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What if the day laborers decide to just stay in the street?

If the day laborers are content where they are, our policy is to refrain from interfering, and we will advise the city and police to leave the situation as is.
    WOW! Talk about the lunatics running the asylum!

Is everyone happy with the day labor centers based on this model?

There is one group of people who are usually not happy with the day laborer-designed model center: day labor activists and non-profits who depend on grants and government funding for their existence. Day laborer-designed programs take away the reason for these groups' existence, and take away their funding. Their response has typically been noisy protests and unfounded accusations against the day laborer-designed programs, making things difficult for the very people they claim to want to help—the day laborers themselves.
    This could've been written about these activists (LaRaza, Maldef, Lulac, etc.) and non-profits (Churches, Colemand & Lozano, COC, etc.) and why they are so rabid in supporting illegal aliens.....GOVERNMENT FUNDING!!!

Their reponse has been noisy protests and unfounded accusations (race card, lying) against enforcement of our immigration laws!

Who woulda thunk it, huh?
    "

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno

I thought prostitutes are generally arrested for doing virtually the same thing.
    LOL, NoBueno, I was thinking the same thing!!! If these illegal aliens can have day-labor centers then prositutes should be able to have their own too!
    "

April
    TIME TO STOP THE INSANITY!!!!

If a woman was to stand on the street corner like that they would come out and arrest her. These good people only want to feed their families, yeah how much money are you getting in the freebies that the government is giving to you??? You are working for cash. You must be collecting welfare section 8 houseing food stamps and all the other freebies that you are DEMANDING and that you are intitled to.
    I thought loitering was against the LAW?
    I thought being here ILLEGALLY was against the LAW??

So they are breaking the LAW where are the POLICE?
    Proud to be an AMERICAN

Exactly. There's places where they don't allow loitering because it draws too many to a hang out and scares away customers. They don't let homeless loiter around.....I understand the principle but there needs to be some control. You can pretty much figure if someone hasn't got you by a certain time of the day.....you aren't going to get anything. Drug dealers hang out on corners too. Police stop and see what's going on and ask for ID's. This idea that we can't do anything and aren't allowed to ask anything is crazy. My husband was stopped and had to show ID and asked a bunch of questions because he was walking to work in the wee morning hours. You can't tell me there aren't some form of regulations........