Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Day laborer: "I want a steady job. I don't want to be h

The Big Blog
    SeattlenewscultureentertainmentSeattle
    « Bovine love blooms at the fair | Main | Nightlife license action alert »

Day laborer: "I want a steady job. I don't want to be here."
    "Before, they always hired you, easy, and now it's not like that anymore."

José Antonio wants to save anough money to go back to Guanajuato, Mexico, buy a cab and run his own taxi business.
    Seattle Speaks: This is Part 5 in a series of interviews with the city's day laborers (here's Part 1, 2, 3 and 4). For more on the series and to submit questions, click here.

They stand in clusters scattered throughout the parking lot. When a car passes by, they watch for the signs. If it looks like a construction vehicle, they approach slowly, cautiously -- hoping it might carry them to a day's hard work.

José Antonio doesn't feel like he belongs here at the Shoreline Home Depot, waiting for work. Unlike many of the workers around him, he isn't here much. Usually, he has a steady job: He's worked at McDonalds, Burger King, the Cheesecake Factory downtown and most recently at an Olive Garden in Tacoma. But until he finds his next cooking gig, this will pay the bills.

Antonio, 30, began our conversation describing what it feels like to be standing in a parking lot on a dreary morning, waiting for the right car to go by, and ended with a smile, talking about the thing that's gotten him through ever since he first arrived here seven years ago -- salsa dancing. Here it is, translated from Spanish:

José Antonio: I feel humiliated being here. Someone will go by in a car and they'll kick you out -- and it's OK -- we can stay off to the side. But it's disconcerting, because I don't usually do this. I'm doing this because my job ended (in Tacoma), I started getting my bills, and I can't wait 20 days to get a job at another restaurant. So that's why I come here. And there's always work. It just weirds me out. But there's nothing else for me right now. So I have to do this.

There was a non-Hispanic waiting for work with you a few minutes ago (he did not want to be interviewed). How many non-Hispanic laborers do you see here?

Very few, but they are here. I've seen maybe three.

How does everyone get along here?

I haven't come here much, but I used to go to the Home Depot near downtown and there everything looks bad -- everything. There are about 40 people there, waiting for work, and when a van comes by they all run like ... and, uy. I don't like that. That just doesn't sit well with me. It shouldn't be like that.

Why not?

We all want work, right? But I don't know, it's all depending on each person's attitude, doing what they do. That's why I just ran over here (to this Home Depot), because here, you see less mess. But there, there's always a police officer and security guards on the corner and it's just ugly. But, you know, in the summer (restaurant) kitchens get hot. So being out isn't so bad.

What did you do just before this?

I'm a cook. I've always cooked. I've been in Seattle seven years. I can cook American food, Italian food. I cooked for the Olive Garden (in Tacoma), I worked at the Cheesecake Factory downtown.

What happened to your last job, in Tacoma?

I broke up with my girlfriend (in Tacoma) and I had to come to Seattle to live with my brothers. It was hard .... I've been back here about a month and a half. ...

I'm submitting applications to restaurants. I want a steady job. I don't want to be here. But there isn't much right now. And I have to do what I'm doing.

How hard is it to get a job in a restaurant?

You know what? Now it's really hard. ... In the restaurants I know, here in Seattle, I apply, and there are places where you hardly see Hispanics anymore. Really. Either they're always asking for your papers, the originals, or -- they know that we're illegals, you know -- but before, they always hired you, easy, and now it's not like that anymore.

How did they hire you before if they suspected you could be undocumented?

... Well, I do have a green card. I have the original. It's what we all have. ... The Mexican military helped me enter the country (legally). (Then) my visa expired.

How long do you think it will take you to find another job?

I'll get one this month, I think.

Some people have left angry comments on this series saying immigrants should go back to their home countries. Do you understand any part of their frustration? What do you think about the attitude of people who say you're taking away their jobs?

No, well one is taking anything away from anyone. Everyone does what they can do. I think it's discrimination to say that. We're all human. And you shouldn't discriminate against anyone. How could you see someone in trouble -- if they could be your brother, your family -- and you don't reach out your hand to help? We're not doing anything bad here. We're just looking for work. We're not getting drugged or anything. We just want work.

What's the most challenging thing about living in Seattle, and in the U.S.?

It took a while for me to adjust. It took a year and a half for me to say, "OK, I'll stay." I missed how I lived in Mexico. ...

What made it hard to adjust?

When I arrived, there was so much work, and there weren't so many Hispanics. ...

(But) there weren't any (latin) dance halls, like there are now. I missed my life. I wanted to go back. Or to go to Chicago, or Los Angeles, which they say is like Mexico City. Then I began to meet people, go out and dance, and I began to get used to the city.

But yeah, I was really -- I mean, you feel alone. Away from anyone who cares about you. And I'm single, so, I had mamitis -- I wasn't able to detach myself from my mother yet. I'm the baby of the house, and the bad guy in the movie (laughs). ... I was 22 (when I came). ...

When I arrived, I had three jobs (all at once). I had time off only two afternoons a week. I did make money then. ... All at minimum wage. I worked at a McDonalds, at a Burger King and at a cafeteria. I didn't speak English, and I still don't speak much. I went to school for four months. But the way you speak? I understand about 70 percent of what you say. But now I can get along. I know how to carry a conversation with an American.

Do you think that's important?

Oh, it's so important. We need it here. We need to be learning all the time, because if not, we get stuck. Life goes on, and you have to move up.

What are your future plans?

I don't know. I was a taxi driver in (Leon, Guanajuato) Mexico, and I made good money working, when things were going well. If I can get my own taxi -- and that's my goal, that's what I came here for: to get money together for a taxi and go back to Mexico to work. And I almost have enough! That's what I like to do. And I'm almost there. ... It was good to be a taxi driver there.

How long before you have what you need?

About a year and a half. ...

Where were your happier -- here on in Mexico?

Oh, I was definitely happier in Mexico.

Where do you go to dance salsa?

Well, there's the Rock Salt (in Lake Union), there's China Harbor. You know -- of all the things I do, I don't think I do anything better. I've been dancing salsa since I was 11.

Wow. How did you start?

... Whoever is in Mexico City and doesn't dance salsa, isn't from there. That's the tradition. And it's what I do best. I've been to a lot of clubs, and I thought I knew how to dance. But there are people who know how to do it really well. But (some of them do it) mechanically, thinking about the next move. But me? I learned on the street. I just go with and don't think ahead to the next step. I just enjoy myself.

Posted by Monica Guzman at September 14, 2007 3:49 p.m.
    Categories: Seattle Features, Seattle Speaks
    Comments

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/theb ... 121830.asp
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    ... Well, I do have a green card. I have the original. It's what we all have. ... The Mexican military helped me enter the country (legally). (Then) my visa expired.
    How does the Mexican military help folk enter the United States?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This isn't the first where the Military is involved. I know from family story that my grandmother came to the US legally with the help of a Mexican General in the military. How, I don't know, but back then they crossed by train. Can it be that the individuals in the Mexican Military have connections in our government, that is the only way I can think of.

Okay in this article this illegal says he had a job he liked and it paid well (yes during good times but, all jobs have down times its how it is) IN MEXICO and he loves it and misses it there yet can't get work here and doesn't like it here, so the question remains-WHY NOT GO BACK?

What kind of car is he saving for thats taking this long?
    As for his logic according to this statement-
    No, well one is taking anything away from anyone. Everyone does what they can do. I think it's discrimination to say that. We're all human. And you shouldn't discriminate against anyone. How could you see someone in trouble -- if they could be your brother, your family -- and you don't reach out your hand to help? We're not doing anything bad here. We're just looking for work. We're not getting drugged or anything. We just want work.

This man ( and all illegals) are NOT in trouble, so why should we help them?
    People in trouble are the folks left alive,injured or orphaned after tsunamis,earthquakes and wars NOT PEOPLE JUST LOOKING FOR A WAY TO GET RICH QUICK!

Rawhide!

Gee, I'm having problems finding a job myself, will Mexico let me illegally immigrate there and get a job? What about welfare and food stamps? Will the Mexican government let me collect food stamps and welfare? Can I marry a Mexican citizen and become a Mexican citizen too (already know the answer to this, it's of course NO).?
    por las chupacabras todo, fuero de las chupacabras nada

(But) there weren't any (latin) dance halls, like there are now. I missed my life. I wanted to go back. Or to go to Chicago, or Los Angeles, which they say is like Mexico City. Then I began to meet people, go out and dance, and I began to get used to the city.
    And if we don't stop this many other American cities can be added to the list that are 'like Mexico City.'
    Clearly this man is not interested in the American way of life; he wants to bring his beloved Mexican culture that is so polluting our nation.