Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Democrats side with Donald Trump on one question from Republican Debate

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Democrats side with Donald Trump on one question from Republican Debate

By Reena Flores CBS News January 15, 2016, 2:57 PM
    Democrats side with Donald Trump on one question from Republican Debate

Donald Trump is finding himself with strange bedfellows after Thursday's Republican debate, after he gave a rousing defense of "New York values" in response to attacks by Texas Sen. Ted Cruz.

Among those who seconded his comments: prominent Democrats Hillary Clinton, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

During the debate, Cruz was asked to clarify his suggestion that Trump "embodies New York values."

Cruz said, "You know, I think most people know exactly what New York values are."

"I am from New York. I don't," debate moderator Maria Bartiromo responded.

The Texas senator then shot back, to a round of laughter: "What -- what -- you're from New York? So you might not. But I promise you, in the state of South Carolina, they do."

"Listen," he went on, "there are many, many wonderful, wonderful working men and women in the state of New York. But everyone understands that the values in New York City are socially liberal or pro-abortion or pro- gay-marriage, focus around money and the media."

It's an attack line that's played well for Cruz on the campaign trail, especially during recent stops in the early-nominating states of Iowa and New Hampshire.

Trump immediately countered by invoking the specter of the 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, commending city dwellers for their work to rebuild their lives in the aftermath.

"New York is a great place. It's got great people, it's got loving people, wonderful people," Trump said. "When the World Trade Center came down, I saw something that no place on Earth could have handled more beautifully, more humanely than New York... And the people in New York fought and fought and fought, and we saw more death, and even the smell of death. Nobody understood it. And it was with us for months, the smell, the air."

"And we rebuilt downtown Manhattan, and everybody in the world watched and everybody in the world loved New York and loved New Yorkers. And I have to tell you, that was a very insulting statement that Ted made," he added.

The comment drew loud applause Thursday, and even Democrats couldn't help but agree with the GOP frontrunner.

Former New York Sen. Hillary Clinton tweeted early Friday that Trump was correct "just this once."

Just this once, Trump's right: New Yorkers value hard work, diversity, tolerance, resilience, and building better lives for our families. -H
    — Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) January 15, 2016

And other notable Democratic voices representing the 8.5 million city residents joined her.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio called on Cruz to issue an apology, saying Friday that the Texas Republican "does not understand in the least 'New York values.'"

"On behalf of all New Yorkers, I am disgusted at the insults that Ted Cruz threw at this city and its people," de Blasio said at city hall. "I think it was right for Donald Trump to defend New York and to talk about the heroic actions of the people of this city after 9/11."

De Blasio lobbed his own attack at Cruz, who he accused of hypocrisy when it comes to funding his political career with Wall Street dollars.

"He has no trouble taking money from New York City, but he's quick to insult our people and our values," snapped de Blasio. "But I think it's really going to backfire. People are going to see through this as hypocrisy of the highest order."

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo told CNN Friday that Cruz's hit on the city's values was "anti-American."

"I think it's disturbing for all Americans -- not just New York," Cuomo said. "He is practicing the politics of division. He's trying to divide people. He's trying to divide this country. It doesn't work and it's antithetical to who we are."

He added: "In 30 seconds, he offended gays, he offended women, he offended 18 million people and he offended one of the largest congressional delegations in the country...You can't govern like that. You can't win a campaign like that. And he's getting worst and the discussion is only degenerating."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/democrat...w-york-values/
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Tricky Ted is a con man.

Take the Goldman Sachs reporting problem. This was not an inadvertent error. He filed the forms disclosing this loan to the Senate AFTER he was elected to the Senate. He failed to file the reports disclosing these loans wiith the FEC which makes them public before his election to the Senate so the voters know before they vote you into the Senate. This protects voters from being told you've liquidated all your assets to beat the rich guy, poor little me. Boo Hoo! When you fact you borrowed the money from your wife's employer which is Goldman Sachs, one of the big chosen winners of the Taxpayer Bail-Out.

How would the Tea Party have felt about that had they known you weren't "anti-Wall Street", you're living the dreams of Wall Street paid for by Wall Street, the very Wall Street, US Taxpayers Bailed Out.

Hypocrite doesn't even come close to defining what you are.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

New York's Daily News front page pulls a harry reid visual over the audacious NY comment by cruz & tells him "Go Back to Canada"......

New York Daily News Gives The Middle Finger To Ted Cruz On Its Front Page

GOP presidential candidate had insulted "New York values."

01/15/2016 03:12 am ET

• Ed Mazza Overnight Editor, The Huffington Post

Credit: New York Daily News

The New York Daily News has a pointed message for Ted Cruz, with Lady Liberty herself flipping off the GOP presidential contender.

The New York Daily News wants to make sure Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz meets the city's official bird.

Cruz on Tuesday dismissively referred to Donald Trump's "New York values," a phrase that provoked a response from many of the city's residents on both sides of the aisle.

And on Friday, "New York's Hometown Newspaper" used an image of Lady Liberty giving the finger to Cruz on its front page, and urged him to "go back to Canada," where he was born.

"DROP DEAD, TED," the page reads.

During Thursday night's Republican debate, Trump gave a definition for "New York values" that even Cruz was forced to applaud.

"When the World Trade Center came down, I saw something that no place on Earth could have handled more beautifully, more humanely than New York," Trump said.

The city's other tabloid, the New York Post, also confronted Cruz on his "New York values" dig.

"That line aimed to get Iowa voters to contrast him with Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton," the paper's editorial board wrote. "But it rings pretty odd once you know of his history with at least two big New York banks."

The Post was referring to Cruz's previously undisclosed $1 million in loans from Goldman Sachs and Citibank.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...0778f46f8f078?
    Last edited by artist; 01-15-2016 at 09:01 PM.

MW
    Among those who seconded his comments: prominent Democrats Hillary Clinton, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
    Personally, I could care less what these three illegal alien loving amnesty supporters have to say. Furthermore, I'm sure there are some fine people in living NYC as there are in all cities and states across the country, however, I also know that the majority of NYC residents don't share my social values.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"I Love New York"......their slogan. There are even Democrats for Trump forming in ALL of our states - that's big, that's a winner.
    Last edited by artist; 01-15-2016 at 10:44 PM.