Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Does anyone remember the restaraunt barred..

Does anyone remember the restaraunt that was barred from posting English only signs? This occured about 3 years ago. I believe this took place in the northeast somewhere.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If my memory is correct the restaraunt was in Philadelphia? Perhaps South Philly?

YES, I believe its that one..I wonder where I can get the story on that one.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It was Geno's Steaks in Philadelphia. My husband and I went there to get a cheese steak in celebration. It was the finest cheese steak I ever had.

The owner later later donated $10,000.00 to Hazelton in support of its fight against the illegal alien scourge.

If memory serves, city council levied charges of discrimination against him which subsequently ruled in his favor.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,198757,00.html

http://www.kyw1060.com/pages/1853749.php?
    <div>
    </div>

There was also a bar somewhere in Ohio that got into it with the local Human Relations Kommissar over some sign like "English Only Spoken Here"

I recall somewhere in that part of the country a restaurant having order in English only sign, which is the way it should be!

ELE

I wonder if he would win the case today?

The owner of Geno's restaurant happens to be a very nice man, and he loves America!

[quote="Rockfish"]YES, I believe its that one..I wonder where I can get the story on that one.[/quote]

Rockfish, that was Joey Vento of Geno's in Philly. He was even later found "not guilty" when he was hauled before the "Commission".

I know there are several stories here on the forum about it and, of course, bunches for the Googling.

Good luck in your hunt

So what are we trying to say here?

Now you all wouldn't be talking down the right of Walmart stores to have "Spanish Only"?/

Remember our own government was suing the Salvation Army for "English Only" Policies! The Salvation Army. The people who bring funds and good tidings to the poor(including the ILLEGALS)

The Equal Employment Opportunity Council is suing The Salvation Army for "emotional pain, humiliation and embarrassment", because of it's English-only policy...
    It all started in a thrift store in Framingham, Massachusetts. Two Hispanic employees were given one year to learn English in order to speak the language of the country in which they live and the language spoken by other employees. They failed to do so; in turn the employees were fired. The EEOC filed a lawsuit against the Salvation Army claiming the employees had suffered "emotional pain, humiliation and embarrassment" as a result of the English-only policy.
    http://www.politicaldogs.org/2007/04/sa ... h-only.htm
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

E-Mail StoryPrint StoryShareThisText Size: A A A

Posted: Wednesday, 19 March 2008 4:50PM

Ruling: Geno's 'English Only' Sign Not Discriminatory

by KYW's Matt Leon

It's a win for Joey Vento of Geno's Steaks as the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations rules that the now famous sign at Geno's does not violate the city's fair practices ordinance.

Back in 2006, the commision had filed a discrimination complaint against Geno's over the now-famous sign which reads "This is America. When ordering please speak English."

However, in its decision, the commission stated that there was insufficient evidence presented to show that the sign violated the city's fair practices ordinance.

Shannon Goessling is executive director of the Southeastern Legal Foundation, which took up the case for Vento:

"As you can well imagine, we are extremely pleased with their ruling, which ruled that Mr. Vento did not violate anybody's rights and did not discriminate against anyone. The question of the day, however, has to be 'has the commission violated our client's rights by pursuing him so aggressively for the last two years?'"

Goessling says they will now spend the next few days reviewing the order of the commission and see where they go from here.

this is the story that melena29 put up as a link
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast