Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Dr Lillian Glass talks about Obama's body language

That's a good one elpasoborn. And welcome to ALIPAC. I am glad to see the numbers here are growing steadily. I see new faces all the time.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

I am more than THRILLED to be here. It is very refreshing to be able to exchange thoughts, stories, etc. with people who actually care what happens in our country and who have real brains!

Story from the link:

Obama’s Disconnected Body Language, Gestures,and Voice Patterns During Oil Spill Speech Alienated Viewers and Affected Approval Ratings

I am not a political person and I have no agenda other than keeping it real and telling it like it is. So when I was asked today by Inside Edition to analyze President Obama’s speech which he made from the Oval Office about the BP oil spill, I obliged and did a television interview.

Apparently, many Americans were upset about the speech. In fact after he gave the speech, the President’s approval ratings plummeted to an all time low. After carefully listening to and looking him giving his speech, I could see why American’s felt as they did.

OBAMA NEEDS A NEW SPEECH WRITER

First and foremost I believe that whomever wrote the speech for the President needed to be fired. It was basically a campaign commercial for how well he was doing and what he was going to do. People were clearly not interested in hearing about committees and task forces and names of people who were on those task forces that were being set up.

People were not interested in what Obama was going to do, especially when they saw what he didn’t do. They wanted that issue addressed.

Granted this is an is an overwhelming problem and it is not Obama’s doing. It was BP’s doing. We needed to hear his real take on the situation, not his spin on the situation, which was prevalent throughout the speech.

We did not want to hear about the specific devastated families he met. In doing so he sounded like a candidate on the campaign trail . We already know how devastating this is to families and those who make their living from fishing and shrimping and tourism.

We needed to hear and feel how devastated the President felt is about the situation. We needed to hear and see his anger. We needed to hear why he did not speak to us earlier.

If he felt helpless which I am sure is the case, we needed to hear that too. We needed to hear about emergency measures that a leader would take, not about committees that were being set up that would take time. Time is of the essence and we needed to know that he was doing everything possible in that race against time where millions of gallons of oil are escaping each day.

OBAMA SPOKE AT US NOT TO US

The President spoke AT us , NOT TO us and that is what turned people off. What needed to have been said at the beginning of his speech was lost in the middle and at the end of his speech.

Add to that the President’s monotone and mono expression. He read the speech on the teleprompter without emotion and without inflection.

It was as though a fourth grader was reading a book report in front of a class. While it may have worked for a grade school child, it did NOT work for a President of the United States.

NERVOUSNESS

Body language wise it didn’t start out well either. Obama had his hands folded as though he was holding on to himself and containing himself. It also reflected his discomfort and nervousness.

This speech needed to be given when the oil spill first happened not now. It was too little too late in many people’s minds. There was no doubt that he knew this as well No doubt, that added to his discomfort level which we observed.

WRONG HAND GESTURES

The President used his hands way too much. It appeared to many that he was in essence, wringing his hands during the first part of the speech . This further gave the impression of his nervousness.

Along with that, his gestures were completely disconnected as to what he was saying. They were not in synch with what he was talking about.

For instance when spoke of the oil spill and said â€