Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

DREAMers stage full-court press on McCain & Hatch.

Fri, 2010-09-17 18:11 — jmcabrera
    DREAM Act supporters staging full-court press for upcoming vote

September 16, 2010 | 7:05 PM | By Leslie Berestein Rojas

DREAM Act supporter Sophia Sandoval calls members of the Senate from her iPhone at a makeshift phone bank in Westlake, September 16, 2010

A dozen or so young DREAM Act supporters sat in a cramped room in the Westlake district this afternoon, using every available phone line as they scrolled down lists of phone numbers for U.S. senators. When there weren’t enough land lines, they used their cell phones.

With a Senate vote coming up next week on the DREAM Act, proposed legislation that would provide a path to legal status for undocumented youths who attend college or join the military, the students manning a makeshift phone bank at the UCLA Labor Center by McArthur Park had no time to waste.

“This is really going to define an entire generation in what we are able to generate for the economy,â€

Re: DREAMers stage full-court press on McCain & Hatch.

DREAM Act supporter Sophia Sandoval calls members of the Senate from her iPhone at a makeshift phone bank in Westlake, September 16, 2010

A dozen or so young DREAM Act supporters sat in a cramped room in the Westlake district this afternoon, using every available phone line as they scrolled down lists of phone numbers for U.S. senators.
    So when they are not outside rioting and breaking laws they are inside committing another crime by lobbying US Senators.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

staffer in Hatch office didnt know why so many calls were coming in.
    when i mentioned this http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-212298.html
    and that they were targeted by supporters of illegals and that alot of calls might be from the illegals themselves. i made it known that its against for people who are not US citizens to be lobbying congress for anything.

Sen. Hatch's office advised as of now, he still opposes.

We can't take anything for granted though; please call him and others.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    staffer in Hatch office didnt know why so many calls were coming in.
    when i mentioned this http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-212298.html
    and that they were targeted by supporters of illegals and that alot of calls might be from the illegals themselves. i made it known that its against for people who are not US citizens to be lobbying congress for anything.
    Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents are considered to be part of the Congressional constituency. Foreign citizens can lobby----if they have been properly registered through the process of the Foreign Agent Registration Act, or are covered by the Lobbying Disclosure Act. Unfortunately groups like LaRaza have registered under the latter. Not sure about cases where they are in the country illegally. I just say it is improper lobbying by people who are not actual constituents.

From what I understand the small start up advocacy groups that have no lobbying registration, who call on behalf of illegal aliens are seriously violating federal law. There were groups doing this with Scott Brown last spring. I'm sure there are many more. Also an elected official is not supposed to engage in lobbying for a "foreign principal" (although that does not prohibit him from expressing an opinion). The criteria is whether it is an "act of agency."
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David

Quote Originally Posted by Captainron
    I just say it is improper lobbying by people who are not actual constituents.
    Not constituents, not citizens, not legal voters.