Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

DREAMers vow to fight for in-state tuition in various states

http://www.dreamactivist(dot)org/blog/2010/12/24/taking-it-to-states/

[quote]Taking it to the States: DREAM Act Style
    December 24, 2010 in News Article by Maria

Last Saturday, the Senate voted against the dreams of thousands of students when it failed to pass the DREAM Act (Oh yeah, we still remember). What these Senators are not aware of is the fact that they did not only vote against the bill, they voted against students who are fighting for a piece of legislation that will affect their lives. And as such, we’re not about to throw in the towel and call it a night. On the contrary, we’re as ready as we’ve ever been to continue the fight toward justice and equality for immigrants and undocumented students. And this time, we’re taking it to the states.

Currently, only ten states allow undocumented students to pay in-state tuition rates if they meet certain requirements, including states with the largest immigrant populations like California, Texas, New York, and Illinois. I don’t know about you, but I think that number is too low. So, while Congress might not be ready to pass the DREAM Act at the national level, we are ready to fight to make the lives of undocumented students a little easier by taking local action. We need to make access to education a viable option for all students: for those just graduating from high school, those who have been forced to put their education aside for financial reasons, and those working 2 or 3 jobs to afford going to school.

In Maryland, State Senator Rich Madaleno will introduce a bill in January that will allow undocumented students in Maryland to be able to afford a college education. The Maryland DREAM Act will allow students, who reside in Maryland and have graduated from a Maryland high school or served in the military, the right to pay in-state tuition to schools in the state. It is morally just for a student who has earned a spot at a university, through their own hard-work, to be charged as any other U.S. citizen student who has earned the same spot.

In the words of Senator Madaleno:

[i]“I was disappointed the U.S. Senate failed to pass the DREAM Act. Without a reformed federal immigration policy, states need to step in and take action. If you live in our community, graduate from our high schools and defend our nation, you deserve the promise of a more affordable higher education.â€

Just what I thought: they're dreaming about free or cheap tuition at our expense. It's all about the money - tuition and welfare.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Illegals

All illegal aliens must be deported now.

Banned
    If only we could challenge the 14th amendments understanding.

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

Few supreme court judges against illegal alien's abusing the US and we could interpret that as illegals as long as illegal status is maintained are outside the US jurisdiction until caught. But if we could do that maybe at least take away citizenship of anchor babies since the last amnesty. The more they whine the harsher I want to be.

Problem is would have to get to the Supreme Court also meaning we'd have numerous judges to replace who tend to not get replaced until death or retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieMay
    Just what I thought: they're dreaming about free or cheap tuition at our expense. It's all about the money - tuition and welfare.
    It's all about our money. The legal U.S. taxpayers.

Senior Member AmericanTreeFarmer's Avatar
    It is morally just for a student who has earned a spot at a university, through their own hard-work, to be charged as any other U.S. citizen student who has earned the same spot.

Zinger Time

Quote Originally Posted by Syanis
    If only we could challenge the 14th amendments understanding.

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

Few supreme court judges against illegal alien's abusing the US and we could interpret that as illegals as long as illegal status is maintained are outside the US jurisdiction until caught. But if we could do that maybe at least take away citizenship of anchor babies since the last amnesty. The more they whine the harsher I want to be.

Problem is would have to get to the Supreme Court also meaning we'd have numerous judges to replace who tend to not get replaced until death or retirement.
    Some senators are working on that right now. Senator Pearce is putting it up for re-interpretation.
    "Mother Sick of Sending Her Child to A School Overflowing With Anchors and Illegals!"
    http://the-drama-of-my-life.blogspot.com

It's really quite amazing that law breakers could be so emboldened to demand anything! This is what happens when you have a government that panders to these people and treats them as if they are special because of their ethnicity.

Unbelievable! It's past time to reverse this disturbing trend in this country... before it's too late.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    It's really quite amazing that law breakers could be so emboldened to demand anything! This is what happens when you have a government that panders to these people and treats them as if they are special because of their ethnicity.

Unbelievable! .
    I guess they think copying Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, inventing race based grievences where none exist makes them "Americanized"