Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Dropping "Anchor Baby"

Dropping "Anchor Baby"

February 02, 2011 11:07 am ET by Simon Maloy

Among the many derogatory labels that have been deployed by anti-immigrant activists to shape the public debate over immigration, few are as ugly or as potent as the term "anchor baby." Used to describe a child of undocumented immigrants born in the United States and thus entitled to American citizenship, it's a nasty turn of phrase that simultaneously dehumanizes a child and impugns the integrity of the parents, who are presumed to have jumped the border just before birth so that they might benefit from their baby's U.S. citizenship. For demagogues, "anchor babies" are a very serious issue -- one California anti-immigration activist told the Los Angeles Times in 2009: "It's invasion by birth canal."

It's long been understood, however, that the "anchor baby" phenomenon was a myth. Indeed, a child born to non-citizen parents can not sponsor them for citizenship until he or she turns 21, and even then there are legal hurdles aplenty. But the term has persisted in the media as state legislatures and even some congressional Republicans have pushed "anchor baby" legislation aimed at denying citizenship to children of illegal immigrants, citing dubious legal interpretations of the 14th Amendment. Newly released data, however, confirms what we already suspected was the truth: "anchor babies" are a myth.

A Pew Hispanic Center report released yesterday found that of all the undocumented immigrants who became parents between March 2009 and March 2010, 91 percent arrived in the U.S. before 2007. Put simply, those immigrants came here for reasons other than quickie-citizenship for their offspring. As The American Prospect's Adam Serwer wrote: "The data suggests a really shocking conclusion: People come to the U.S. to get jobs, not to have babies."

That's not going to stop the activists who popularized the term from using it -- they have their agendas, after all -- and it's not likely to disappear from Fox News, where just last month Bill O'Reilly decried the "misuse" of the Constitution by "foreigners" who "sneak across our borders to give birth." [The O'Reilly Factor, 1/6/11] But the new data should impel the more responsible corners of the press to cease the blithe repetitions of the term and allowing demagogues to tip the rhetorical debate in their favor.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201102020015
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

But the new data should impel the more responsible corners of the press to cease the blithe repetitions of the term and allowing demagogues to tip the rhetorical debate in their favor.
    They think the term "Anchor Baby" is offensive? Well I'm offended whenever they call us "Racist, Xenophobic. Native-est, etc.!"

Kettle meet Pot.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Anchor Babies have never really been about gaining citizenship. Its about being deported and with an anchor baby one can latch onto the US as its seen as breaking up a family of a US Citizen (anchor baby) thus creating the anchor. Then that anchor also draws you into the full social benefits of welfare, medicaid, food stamps, housing for the child which of course goes to the illegal alien who's the parent. Then of course getting free education and even getting higher education basically getting paid from being born until the age of 24 or so.

Then way way down the road the illegal can eventually apply for status for family along with being a voice for amnesty for their illegal parents. Right now the illegals from 1990 timeframe are just starting to apply heavily for status for family and green cards making the problem worse and the longer we wait to fix this the bigger that issue gets.

consider the source.... its media matters. funded by george soros

"Impugns the integrity of the parents"? What integrity do they have since they have jumped our borders illegally and then lying, stealing I.D. or using fake documents to work? That is only the tip of the iceberg as their lives of deceit continue on our soil for years.

Anti-"immigrant" activists? Who would they be? I only know of anti-illegal alien activists. The spin by the ethnocentrics just keeps marching on, doesn't it?

No one is saying that all illegal aliens jump our borders purposely to give birth or that they are pregnant before they do so but they learn quickly after arriving here that by producing an anchor on our soil that they are entitled to all kinds of welfare and freebies for them for years to come. That is why birthright citizenship needs to change.

I agree they are hypcrites by calling those of us for the rule of law, xenophobes, racists, etc. and yet demand we stop using the term "anchor" which merely means the parents think have anchored themselves unto our soil by giving birth on it.

I'm sorry Mr Maloy, but the PC crap has gotta stop. I call em as I see em
    and anchor baby is a true description of what they are, just like illegal
    immigrant describes their parents. If that offends you then maybe you
    better stay at home because I see and hear things out in the real word
    every day that are far more offensive than that and if you're too sensitive
    to live with the real world description then you need serious help.

A spade is a playing card, a black hole is an astronomical phenomena,
    an illegal immigrant is NOT an "undocumented migrant" and an "baby"
    born to illegals that keeps their illegal parents "anchored" here because
    the baby is considered a citizen is....an anchor baby.

Def
    If the race card is the only card in your hand, you're not playing with a full deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbstard
    But the new data should impel the more responsible corners of the press to cease the blithe repetitions of the term and allowing demagogues to tip the rhetorical debate in their favor.
    They think the term "Anchor Baby" is offensive? Well I'm offended whenever they call us "Racist, Xenophobic. Native-est, etc.!"

Kettle meet Pot.
    Thank you! I couldn't even get through the whole article. I am so fed up with this crap. ANCHOR BABIES ANCHOR BABIES ANCHOR BABIES (there I said it!)

The reason most illegals coming here to work don't hesitate to bring their wives/girlfriends with them is, no doubt, due to to knowing everything will be paid for their illegal dependent and any anchor babies born here.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Has anyone heard about Serrano's Anchor Baby Protection Act?

http://24ahead.com/blog/archives/006306.html

The head of NY Ice just e-mailed me to tell me he's reintroducing the bill in this session of Congress.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

Since they are not having these babies to "anchor" themselves, they shouldn't mind when the 14th is clarified and their babies can no longer fraudulently claim citizenship!
    "Mother Sick of Sending Her Child to A School Overflowing With Anchors and Illegals!"
    http://the-drama-of-my-life.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast