Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Dual Citizenship !!!!!

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.
    The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there.Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

Information on losing foreign citizenship can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. citizenship in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad.

I fund this in the site for Applying for U.S. citizenship.
    this is what our government wants people to do to become citizens . i wonder if those people who were slamming this great nation and have flown mexican flags and were yelling VIVA LA MEXICO fall into this catagory :

In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct

Including Presidents Bushes statements........
    Always a legal Citizen
    Steven Doherty

Here's a thought for you...
    Those people who get citizenship can vote here. They can also vote in Mexico which they will be supporting with their wage contributions to shore up that economy while it drains this one.

However, we won't be able to vote there. We won't have first opportunity for work in that country until all "NATIVE born Mexicans" are employed. And we won't have first preference for a job here because Japanese and Mexican immigrants have preferential status in this country.
    "Liberty CANNOT be preserved without general knowledge among people" John Adams (August 1765)

In other words, we have degraded American citizenship. Why should ANY citizen of another country be able to share OUR citizenship and have both citizenships? You cannot serve two masters. If they want dual citizenships then they should not be an equal citizen here. America is and alway has been # One. Why have we allowed our citizenship to be sullied? The shining city on a hill will be a tarnished hovel. All thanks to the greedy gluttonous sloths that we call senators. And of course all hail to the commander in casablanca.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

I have dual citizenship but I only vote here, and I have never voted in the country where I was born. I do not care much about it, although I visit it often because all my family lives there. It is a very nice country but my country now is the United States, and my loyalty is to this nation. I came here LEGALLY because I married an American citizen and I have lived in this country most of my adult life.

I am AGAINST illegal immigration and I also think there is a limit to LEGAL immigration. The needs of the USA today are not the ones of the previous centuries.

I am not Hispanic; I am German descendant.

I also have dual citizenship but don't use it. I am an American and will remain that way. We should not allow the duality to occur as it will with our friends from down south. They don't wish to be American at all, IMHO.
    Hussein who?

Dual Citizenship promotes divisions in this country

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    I also have dual citizenship but don't use it. I am an American and will remain that way. We should not allow the duality to occur as it will with our friends from down south. They don't wish to be American at all, IMHO.