Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

El Presidente meets with Senators

Bush presses Senate GOP on immigration

By JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS, Associated Press Writer
    4 minutes ago

President Bush pressed divided Republicans on Tuesday to support him on immigration overhaul, saying "status quo is unacceptable."

In a rare visit to the Capitol for lunch with the Senate's GOP membership, Bush said he recognized that immigration was an emotional issue and that many do not agree with him. Still, he said, "Now is the time to get it done."

The measure supported by the White House, which legalizes up to 12 million unlawful immigrants and tightens border security, stalled last week in the face of broad Republican opposition.

Bush's personal effort to salvage the derailed bill came as key lawmakers reached for a deal that could quickly revive the measure. He needs to change enough minds among GOP senators to push through a top domestic priority.

"The White House will stay engaged," Bush told reporters after the lunch.

"Some members in there believe that we need to move a comprehensive bill, some don't," the president said. "I understand that. It's a highly emotional issue."

But it was unclear whether Bush changed any minds. His approach has sparked a backlash among some of the party's core supporters, who see the legislation as amnesty for people who sneaked into the country.

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., speaking with reporters after Bush left, said the president's persuasiveness "will depend upon what it looks like in the end. And none of us know that yet."

"Look, we had a very, very good discussion, including some of our members who are not -- shall I say? -- keen on this measure, and others who are still taking a look at it and trying to decide how they're going to vote," McConnell said. "So it was a good give and take. We didn't expect anybody to stand up and holler that they had an epiphany."

Bush said he hoped Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who supports the bipartisan proposal, "has the same sense of desire to move the product — or the bill — that I do."

"It's going to take a lot of hard work, a lot of effort. We've got to convince the American people this bill is the best way to enforce our border. I believe that without the bill, it's going to be harder to enforce the border. The status quo is not acceptable," Bush said.

Bush has predicted he will prevail in his effort to win approval of an immigration bill. But his brief comments on Tuesday were muted, and he voiced recognition of the difficult work ahead.

Sen. Trent Lott, R-Miss., called it "democracy working at its best" and said that Bush had signaled he "won't sign a bad bill."

"But he thinks this is an issue that needs to be addressed" and is "willing to work with us to get this job done," Lott said. "I hope that the majority leader will work with us to move it forward," Lott added.

Reid, D-Nev., had pulled the measure from the Senate last week when two efforts to cut short debate failed. The Democratic leader said he will bring up the measure again only if Democrats can be assured of more Republican backing.

Still, it was unclear how much influence Bush has among Republicans on immigration, given that it has sparked a backlash among some of the party's core supporters, who see it as amnesty for people who sneaked into the country.

The fragile package promises a path of legalization for millions of undocumented workers in the United States while tightening borders and offering employers more temporary workers. The bipartisan bill supported by the White House is cosponsored by Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070612/ap_ ... mmigration
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

Sen. Trent Lott (news, bio, voting record), R-Miss., called it "democracy working at its best" and said that Bush had signaled he "won't sign a bad bill."
    Bush would sign ANY bill that came across his desk just as long as it granted amnesty to illegals.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

JAK
    Now is the time to "MOVE THE PRODUCT?" (immigration bill) That's exactly how he sees this too!!!!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Now is the time to get it done."
    Even if it will cost the taxpayers millions of dollars, violate the sovereignty of our nation, put our national security at risk, continues to drive down wages, costs more American jobs, and is just a rotten-to-the-core bill.

It's not like the president should care. He's not running for re-election.
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

Poor Bush! I bet he has been under heavy pressure from the Mexican government to get this bill passed. After all the Mexican government is who he takes his orders from!

Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    Poor Bush! I bet he has been under heavy pressure from the Mexican government to get this bill passed. After all the Mexican government is who he takes his orders from!
    Ain't that the truth! I'll bet Jorge Bush's True Master, Felipe Calderon is none too happy that this has not been signed into law by now. He has probably given Jorge a real earful.

"It's going to take a lot of hard work, a lot of effort. We've got to convince the American people this bill is the best way to enforce our border. I believe that without the bill, it's going to be harder to enforce the border. The status quo is not acceptable," Bush said.
    I don't get it? Why does it take this bill to pass to be able to enforce the border? Don't we already have laws and agencies and people in place to enforce our border? I mean, isn't it ALREADY illegal to cross our border without a visa or passport? And don't we ALREADY have an agency (the Border Patrol) who has been put in place to apprehend illegal border crossers? And don't we ALREADY have current laws and immigration policy in place that STRESS enforcing our borders?

What kind of utter CRAP is Bush trying to sell us? We DON'T NEED this bill to enforce our borders...what he's really saying (as a form of blackmail) is that without this bill, the border will continue to be as UNENFORCED as it has been for the past 20 years.

He's a total liar and manipulator. You can't believe a word that comes out of his mouth.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

Quote Originally Posted by JAK
    Now is the time to "MOVE THE PRODUCT?" (immigration bill) That's exactly how he sees this too!!!!
    I'm sorry is he referring to cocaine or the bill?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagmar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAK
    I'm sorry is he referring to cocaine or the bill?
    Probably both. He has promised amnesty to the corrupt Mexican government, and unimpeded U.S. entry to the drug cartels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast