To anyone in the Delaware area, this Councilman needs your support.

UB

Councilman defends latest proposal
Elsmere's Jaremchuk says new building standards not aimed only at Hispanics
By ANGIE BASIOUNY, The News Journal

Posted Friday, December 21, 2007

A pedestrian walks by the side of La Taqueria Laras Mexican restaurant in Elsmere on Thursday. Town Councilman John Jaremchuk said, "I don't find the front of that building very offensive. It's the side." The red, white and green stripes are the colors of the flag of Mexico. (Buy photo)

The News Journal/RON SOLIMAN

"There think they can look into my heart and see what's there. This has nothing to do with racism. It has to do with rule of law," John Jaremchuk says

The town of Elsmere has plans to build a new $2 million office building with a clock tower, barber shop owner Mark Varone pointed out, and a local funeral home recently renovated its facade and expanded its porch.
(Buy photo)

The News Journal/RON SOLIMAN
Elsmere Councilman John Jaremchuk doesn't mince words when someone asks him about his stance on illegal immigration.

In the past several years, the Republican councilman has tried to get several anti-immigration measures passed, including enacting fines for landlords and businesses that employ or rent to undocumented residents, and allowing police to ticket anyone unable to prove U.S. residency

But this time, Jaremchuk said, his critics have it all wrong.

His latest proposal to require business owners to use neutral paint colors and high-quality materials on building exteriors is an effort to make the town look better -- not an attack on a local Mexican restaurant that would be grandfathered if the law passes.

The building, La Taqueria Laras, is painted red, white and green -- the colors of the Mexican flag.

"They made it about me versus that building," he said about dozens of delawareonline.com readers who posted angry comments about his proposal on The News Journal's Web site. "They think they can look into my heart and see what's there. This has nothing to do with racism. It has to do with rule of law."

Jaremchuk and Councilwoman Joann Personti said they've received about a dozen complaints from residents about the eatery's appearance.

Elsmere resident John Taber said he'd like to believe Jaremchuk's motives are not aimed at Hispanics, but that's hard considering the councilman's track record of making life difficult for undocumented immigrants.

"It seems to me that Mr. Jaremchuk and Ms. Personti can't find other ways to get the Hispanics, so now they're saying, 'Gee, the colors of the building are off,' " Taber said. "I wish I was wrong. I hope I'm wrong. But that's what it it looks like."

Taber said he and his wife like living in Elsmere and tire of having to defend it to friends and relatives.

He blames the town's negative reputation on Jaremchuk's proposals, which have drawn national media attention.

Amish Patel, manager of Elsmere Liquors across from the restaurant, agreed.

"There are many ways you can make the town better," he said. "But he only picks an issue that connects to immigrants?"

Elsmere is a nice place with friendly people, Patel said.

"It's a few that give the wrong impression," he said. "And once that happens, it's hard to get back."

Jaremchuk's ordinance would bulk up the town's existing code, which addresses the appearance of signs, grass height and bans junked cars. But the current law has no provisions about about paint colors or appearance.

Jaremchuk said he simply used the restaurant as an example because it is the most obvious problem along the 1.3 miles of Kirkwood Highway that fall within the town's limits. Many other businesses are shabby and aging, but none are so brightly colored.

The side of the building visible to motorists driving west on Kirkwood Highway is painted in incomplete stripes that change color.

"I don't find the front of that building very offensive," Jaremchuk said. "It's the side."

But paint colors aside, Patel said, many local business owners can't afford to upgrade their exteriors with high-quality materials and paints -- the other part of Jaremchuk's proposal.

Residents don't have the buying power, he said, and neither do shop owners.

"It's not Greenville or Hockessin," Patel said.

Mark Varone, owner of Mark's Barber Shop in Elsmere, said he applauds Jaremchuk's effort to beautify the town. He pointed to plans for a $2 million office building with a clock tower, and a nearby funeral home that renovated its facade with stone and an expanded porch.

"I think it's so easy for someone to say [Jaremchuk] is doing this because it's a Mexican restaurant," Varone said. "It's not about that. The building really is an eyesore."

Varone said nobody complained previously about the eatery, which has changed names and appearances three times in the last three years.

The state Department of Transportation and the town spent millions of dollars to redesign and beautify Kirkwood Highway about six years ago. And Elsmere once was part of a federal Main Street program that assisted small towns.

"I would like to go back to that again," Jaremchuk said.

Taber said that's fine with him, as long as Jaremchuk welcomes everyone.

"I would just like Mr. Jaremchuk and Ms. Personti to calm down and accept the fact that there are other people here now," he said

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs ... /712210335