EMAIL FROM SAXBY CHAMBLISS IN ANSWER TO MY QUERY ON MAKING ENGLISH THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF THE U.S.:

Dear

Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns. It is good to hear from you on this important issue.

In the 109 th Congress, I cosponsored and voted in support of S.A. 4064, an amendment that would have declared English as the national language of the United States and promoted the patriotic integration of prospective U.S. citizens.

I also supported Senate Resolution 458, which passed by unanimous consent and reaffirms that statements or songs that symbolize the unity of the Nation, including the National Anthem, the Oath of Allegiance sworn by new U.S. citizens, and the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States, should be recited or sung in English , the common language of the United States.

Finally, I was also a cosponsor of S.557, which would have declared Executive Order 13166, relating to improving access to services for persons with limited English proficiency, to be null and void , thereby not requiring every recipient of federal funds to provide services in multiple languages. I believe those who wish to become citizens should be able to speak our common language.

If you would like to receive timely email alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: www.chambliss.senate.gov . Please do not hesitate to be in touch if I may ever be of assistance to you.

Saxby Chambliss