Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar

Emergency Rooms Fighting Back?

Well interesting event today. I had to take my son to our local emergency room.

After we got there, the receptionist asked a question that took me completely by surprise.

She asked "was he born in the USA?". At first I was taken back, but said, "yes he was". Then I said to her that I have never been asked that question before.

This woman only told me that they have to ask that question now. She did not give a reason why.

This was at a Legacy Hospital, anyone out there know anything about this? Is this all due to the problems with illegals using the emergency rooms, eventually bankrupting them?

I thought considering the question, and that we have had so many problems with hospitals closing, this was a defensive step on their part.
    Wonder if they are going to start billing Mexico? Wishful thinking, they'll probably start billing the Federal Government for it and we all know who's pockets that will come out of? Yep, the taxpayers, US!!!!!
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I am absolutely shocked that they asked you that question.
    Of course I can only vouch for So. Cal., but before coming to AZ, I worked
    for many years in the medical administrative field and we could never, ever
    ask such a question.
    Also when we had meetings with the "niece" people from Medi-Cal and other
    state agencies, we were always told that we could not ask regarding the
    immigration status of a person.
    But, you never know, things could change. I still have a few friends in
    the field & I will check with them.
    "We have room for but one flag, the American flag" - Theodore Roosevelt

Congress authorized a billion dollars to pay hospitals for indigent care last year. Part of the legislation placed a requirement to document if the money was being spent on care of non citizens, but left it kind open to interpretation a little bit as to how they would document that. So each hospital makes up a policy and devises a question that fulfills that requirement. Hospitals that refuse are threatened with the withholding of reimbursements, although I'll bet none will be denied on that basis.
    This means very little really. hospitals that cater to larger populations with illegal aliens will just pose a less obnoxious questionaire, and in a language quite welcoming too. But in the end, A BILLION DOLLARS of taxpayer dough went up the body cavities of a huge number of foreigners. I just don't see how congress can authorize that much money for cure, and almost nada for prevention
    It will not be enough to send a letter. We will have to march on washington and dictate terms in the white house

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    I too was suprised. Not offended though.

I think that it might help, though, in documenting how prevalent this problem is. It might help get real numbers out there to our government to show that the illegal immigration problem is bigger than they want to think.

Hopefully it will serve a better purpose.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

AmericanElizabeth,
    I am Hispanic and I will not be ofended if they ask me for my papers.
    If taking care of the problem of illegal immigration means I have to carry
    my passport with me all the time, so be it, is done.
    "We have room for but one flag, the American flag" - Theodore Roosevelt

It doesnt mean they would not treat an illegal, they just have to ask to see if your a citizien...Its not a kick in the illegal groin...

Denver spent $35,000,000 on anchor babies alone in 2005......I onder what all the numbers look like...it would be nice to see a posting of the amont of $$ illegal immigration costs, for easy refrence...