Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Encouraging News...BUT DON'T STOP NOW!!

Here is a news update from Bloomberg wire service....it's encouraging, but folks we've got to keep the pressure on RIGHT UP TO CLOTURE.....

Immigration Measure in Doubt Over Senate Defections (Update1)

By James Rowley and Nicholas Johnston

June 27 (Bloomberg) -- The fate of U.S. immigration legislation was cast into doubt when at least six senators who helped revive the proposed overhaul said they either oppose or are leaning against a move to permit a vote on final passage.

The measure is in more jeopardy ``than I thought a few hours ago,'' said Senator Christopher Dodd, a Connecticut Democrat.

The supporters' strategy of disposing of amendments that threatened the legislation's bipartisan support hit a procedural snag late in the day, adding to the uncertainty. The Senate refused to set aside an amendment by Montana Democrats Max Baucus and Jon Tester that would dilute requirements employers verify the identity of new workers.

Under Senate rules, Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Nevada Democrat, now can't move to consider other provisions without getting the consent of all 100 senators.

``I think this hurts'' the measure, said Texas Republican John Cornyn, an opponent.

Earlier today, Senate sponsors had succeeded in killing a series of proposed changes that would undermine the measure's support. Nonetheless, senators who voted yesterday to resume consideration of the bill were withdrawing support.

Leaning Against

Republicans Richard Burr of North Carolina and Christopher Bond of Missouri and Democrat Ben Nelson of Nebraska said they oppose permitting a vote on final passage. Virginia Democrat Jim Webb and Republicans John Ensign of Nevada and Pete Domenici of New Mexico said they were leaning that way.

It takes 60 votes, or three-fifths of the Senate, to shut off debate. Yesterday, the Senate voted 64-35 to permit debate to resume.

Five other senators who voted to resume the debate said they are undecided on the next procedural test. They are Republicans Ted Stevens and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Judd Gregg of New Hampshire and Democrats Jeff Bingaman of New Mexico and Mark Pryor of Arkansas.

The legislation would create a path to citizenship for 12 million illegal immigrants, tighten the U.S. border with Mexico and create a guest-worker program to help employers fill low- paying jobs. The Senate had planned to complete action on the bill by the end of the week.

Angry Senators

Sponsors of the bill shut off efforts by critics to offer their own changes, angering some senators.

``We are in trench warfare and it's going to be rough,'' said Pennsylvania Republican Arlen Specter, a chief sponsor of the legislation. ``But we are going to see the will of the Senate work one way or another.''

The amendment that the Senate refused to table, by a 52-45 vote, would have deleted requirements that by 2013 employers insist upon an identification card that meets the specifications of the 2005 Real ID Act. That law gives states financial incentives to require a tamper-proof driver's license.

Baucus and Tester argued that, because more than a dozen states have opted out of the 2005 law, citizens of those states would be forced to obtain U.S. passports to get jobs.

To contact the reporters on this story: James Rowley in Washington at jarowley@bloomberg.net ; Nicholas Johnston in Washington at 1264 or njohnston3@bloomberg.net .

MW
    Republicans Richard Burr of North Carolina and Christopher Bond of Missouri and Democrat Ben Nelson of Nebraska said they oppose permitting a vote on final passage. Virginia Democrat Jim Webb and Republicans John Ensign of Nevada and Pete Domenici of New Mexico said they were leaning that way.
    I'll bet there is some serious arm twisting, pleading, and promising going down tonight!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

You can't let up !!!!!! You know Bush and the rest of his lying cronies are on the phones right now with the republican senators.

Thanks for posting this updated info!

Time for evening emails!! Everyone, please send emails to these Senators who may oppose the Bill now!!!!
    Here's the list from this article:

Now oppose Bill:
    Burr R-NC
    Bond R-MO
    Nelson R-NB

May oppose Bill (leaning towards opposition):
    Ensign R-NV
    Domenici R-NM
    Webb D-VA

Undecided but had voted YES on last Cloture:
    Stevens R - AK
    Murkowski R-AK
    Gregg R-NH
    Bingaman D-NM
    Pryor D-AR
    "The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry

I called Burr's Winston-Salem office but this was
    my conversation with Burr's DC office today:

Me: Hello, I'm a constituent from Raleigh. If Z visas are in the
    bill & that is amnesty, why did the senator vote for cloture
    yesterday?

Aide: He wanted to see the amendments.

Me: It's a 700 page bill. Has he read the bill?

Aide: No, but he wanted to see the amendments.

Me: So, even with the proceducal tricks by Reid, he thought it
    was worth it to risk a 700 page bill Senator Burr has not read,
    with no committee hearings, to see if the amendments might
    make it better?

Aide: Yes, he wanted to see the amendments, sir.

Me: Did the senator read Senator Sessions list of 20 why this is
    a bad bill?

Aide: Sir, he's going to vote against the 2nd cloture. He just wanted
    to see the amendments.

Me: So, we can only pray it doesn't pass, can't we?

Aide: Is there anything else you'd like me to tell the senator.

Me: Not at this time, except that I'm profoundly disappointed.

Aide: Thank you, goodbye.

Don't let up!!

KEEP THE PRESSURE ON!!

Tide is swinging our way and we need to keep it that way!

We want to defeat this bill and kill it!

RALLY MY FELLOW PATRIOTS!

Another thread is saying that Domenici is going to oppose the Bill. I still emailed him, regardless.

Weird about Murkowski -- I have tried to email using the Senate contact form many times but have only gotten the form once. Tried just a minute ago and her server-form is still "down". Gonna send a fax instead.

KEEP GOING GANG!
    "The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry