Everything I Ever Needed to Know About Illegal Immigration, I Learned Growing Up
Written by Gabriel Garnica
Saturday, April 01, 2006

http://www.chronwatch.com/content/conte ... ?aid=20382

As a proud Latino and a thankful American citizen, I cannot understand all the fuss about illegal immigration. As spring begins, many of us anticipate the start of a new baseball season and recall a youth spent on the ball field. As corny as it may sound, many of the lessons learned on those fields mirrored lessons in life and, apparently, lessons forgotten by many embroiled in this immigration issue.

Lesson # 1--Play by the Rules of the Ballpark You Are In

Each ballpark we played in had different rules. One field had some trees and if a ball went into those trees it was a homerun. Another field had a lake and anything in there was a double. Baseball fans know that each major league ballpark has its own rules and quirks within the basic rules of the game. This ability to follow local rules within particular general rules is what civil society and the rule of law are all about.

My parents taught me to obey the rules of our household as a way of showing my love, respect, and loyalty to my family. Most people I know try their best to follow the rules of a host who has invited them to a party. If he or she does not like smoking, they go outside to smoke. If the host does not like loud laughter, you try to keep your laughs down. If you visit a country, you should expect to either learn that country’s language or at least show that you respect that language and its people enough to try. It is common courtesy. It is common respect. It is common sense. Lastly, once you break a rule and disrespect the system, you stain whatever you do beyond that unless you humbly acknowledge your error and try to make amends.

Given this, why is it so hard for illegal immigrants to understand or humbly accept that the United States has certain rules for its territory which it has a right to enforce and visitors have a duty to follow? After all, this country is no different than that ball field, that household, and that host. It has the right to expect that people coming in will respect and follow its rules. I find it despicably arrogant for an immigrant younger than, say, 50 years of age to enter this nation and yet refuse to learn its language.

I am also repelled by the sight of people who have broken the law having the clueless audacity and mindless gall to publicly demand rights! The ACLU must be doing back flips every time it sees such imbecilic behavior. I find it fascinating and amusing that people break laws thereby demonstrating total disrespect for the nation they are moving into and then have the guts to say that they are contributing to that nation.

Lesson # 2--Do Not Cheat

It is ironic that the illegal immigration and baseball steroid issues are both in the spotlight at the same time these days, because both situations remind us that not following the rules shows disrespect for everything around us and cheating is just concealed disrespect. One kid we knew was always trying to cheat on the field in some way. Eventually we did not want him to play with us because we did not trust him or, frankly, want someone like him around.

Research shows that cheating is rampant in schools and in sports. We have increasingly lost respect for obeying rules and accomplishing things the right and just way. We increasingly admire those who can get over, who can get away with something, as if achieving without merit was some special achievement unto itself. What’s more, we rationalize all of this by saying that the system is unfair and nice guys finish last. No matter what façade we put on cheating and breaking rules, it is still wrong and, in a way, cowardly. It takes courage to do things the right way when cheating seems so much easier.

The last time I checked there are certain rules for getting into this country and eventually becoming a citizen. This process is certainly neither easy nor necessarily fair all the time, but it is the legal and right way to go. Liberals have infected this society with so much relativism and rationalization that wrong has been translated into some subjective song of fools and right has been redefined into the end justifying the means in whatever way necessary or possible. It seems to me the height of hypocrisy, cowardice, and arrogance to pretend that one can simply blow off or thumb one’s nose at immigration rules and procedures simply because one does not feel obliged to follow them.

Lesson # 3--Excuses Are for Losers

Few things are as pathetic as the player who keeps coming up with reasons for not doing well or demands a “do-over” when things go wrong. Excellent performers “just do it” like Nike says and do not even need excuses for failure. How many times have you actually made things worse trying to justify your error or difficulty rather than simply facing the problem and trying to solve it constructively, reasonably, and honestly?

I am sure that every illegal alien who ever jumped over a fence or crouched in a truck had 100 excuses and reasons why he or she was doing what they were doing. I feel compassion for their suffering, poverty, frustrations, and desperation, but in no way does that compassion become bleeding heart absurdity. Likewise, I dare say that all of those fiends who manipulate and exploit many poor people seeking a better life also have a list of excuses why they are doing what they are doing.

No matter how you cut the cake, illegal immigration is wrong, destructive, illegal, and dangerous. No excuses in the world can change that, only fools willing to believe those excuses.

Lesson # 4--You Won’t Want the Cow if You Get the Milk for Free

This lesson has probably been heard by more young girls from their parents than any phrase in modern history. Observers of baseball have noted that many players today are not as motivated, not as eager, and not as hungry for success as players were long ago. The reason for this situation is simply that today’s players get too much too soon too easily. Experience shows that a little difficulty and struggle builds respect, patience, and true dedication.

Immigration observers have noted that entitlement-thinking has bred a more arrogant, demanding, disrespectful, selfish, and even insolent immigrant. These people act as if this country owes them something going in. They have the equation upside down. They are the ones who owe this country as much respect, loyalty, dedication, humble appreciation, and unselfishness as possible. It is a privilege to be in this country much less one of its citizens and too many of these angry immigrants demanding reform, act as if this country is privileged to be chosen by them.

The Ellis Island immigrant tended to be more humble, appreciative, self-reliant, respectful, and unselfish than the majority of immigrants coming today.

Lesson # 5--Sincere Love Means Loyalty and a Desire to Contribute

True baseball fans are loyal to the sport, and their love of the game is unselfish, simple, and sincere. Therapists argue that selfish, self-serving love is false and destructive. Conversely, real love is often seen as loyal and seeking to serve more than be served.

Those groups of protestors waving foreign flags and demanding this and that from this nation seemed to care more about what they can get from this land than how they can contribute to it. A Pew Poll showed that 46% of Mexicans in Mexico want to move to the United States. Only a fool would believe that any majority of these want to get into this country out of a powerful, undying love for either this nation, its history, or its traditions. Most likely, human nature dictates that many if not most of these immigrants, especially the new ones, would be lured more by what they can get out of this country than what they can give in. The majority of these people did not come here to wipe a tear on the 4th of July when hearing a rendition of America. They came for money, benefits, savings, and, apparently, the highest bidder.

Lesson # 6--Crime Does Not Pay

If the present baseball steroids scandal sees Barry Bonds emerging better off than he ever would have been without enhancement, what lesson will this send to young kids?

How nice if life ran like some early television detective show where crime never pays and the bad guy always loses. Tragically, the present excuse for immigration filters do not cause crime to pay but rather often lead it to pay very well.

Lesson # 7--Every Game Has a Central Turning Point or Moment When Only One Key Issue Matters

Many people would rather win badly than lose well, because the central point of baseball or any sport is often portrayed as winning. Consequently, life is the key issue for anti-abortion demonstrators and legality should be everyone’s key issue with regard to any activity. No matter what some politician or doctor says or surrenders in the name of healing in the abortion debate, if he murders an unborn child going in he is wrong, arrogant, and selfish.

Lesson # 8--Sharing Is Only Good When You Are Sharing Good Things

A recent study found that 15% of California illegals are in prison. Sharing, therefore, is only as good as how good it is. Giving someone a cold is bad enough, but helping oneself get a cold intentionally is viewed as sheer evil.

Lesson # 9--Hypocrisy Never Attracts

The only fight that I ever witnessed on a ball field occurred when the player with the most errors on the team for the year criticized another player for making an error. Few, if any, can stand hypocrites and their ridiculously unfair and ironic attitudes.

I wish that liberals would fight as hard defending unborn life as they can defending the right of an illegal alien to jump over a fence and into this nation once again violated. I am sickened to see liberals speak out against inefficient energy while driving an SUV.

Lesson # 10--Be Grateful and Appreciative

Saying thank you has been so programmed into my brain that I have often said thank you to people who slammed a door in my face, so automatically did I assume they would hold the door. Being thankful and appreciative costs little, yet such behavior clearly projects the integrity and value of the person within. The majority of the mob protesting recently did not look too grateful or appreciative of the great privilege and benefit they have for being in the United States.

Lesson # 11--Always Have Possible Solutions Ready

Being a problem solver is often associated with career and business success. Doing my best to be thus associated with conservative values, I would like to propose the following five possible solutions to the immigration debate.

1). Establish a work program for illegals in the homes of celebrities most vocal in liberal causes.

2) Establish a work program for fetuses and a path to eventual birth.

3) Establish a limo service transporting illegals into this country in style and charge the cost to Vicente Fox.

4) Since 46% of Mexicans want to move into this country, get their eventual immigration into this country over with by simply giving them a new state called Really New Mexico.

5) Since so many illegal aliens come into this country via our border with Mexico, make a deal with Mexico that all Americans will only be charged half price for all hotels, auto rentals, and goods bought in Mexico forever.

Conclusion

The illegal immigration debate ready to explode in this country is a classic combination of many variables that cross party lines and agendas. Despite this unique nature of illegal immigration, what is most fascinating to me is just how this problem ignores or even openly violates many life and baseball lessons which most kids learn growing up.

About the Writer: Gabriel Garnica, Esq., is an educator, licensed attorney, and resident of Long Island, New York. As a conservative Latino college professor working in New York City, Mr. Garnica feels that his picture is found in the dictionary under the term "exception." He can be contacted at gbgmyarticles@yahoo.com