Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Feds to Test Virtual Fence Along Border

Feds to Test Virtual Fence Along Border

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 7:11 PM

Article Font Size

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The first section of a high-tech "virtual fence" along the U.S.-Mexico border will be tested this month after defense contractor Boeing Co. reported it solved most of the computer glitches that have delayed the program for months, a federal official said Wednesday.

Boeing personnel who briefed federal officials "sounded real optimistic" about the fixes, said Brad Benson, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesman in Washington. "I have talked to Border Patrol personnel, and they weren't quite that optimistic."

Loaded with sensors, radar and sophisticated cameras, nine towers along a 28-mile section are designed to detect illegal immigrants and drug smugglers coming through the heavily trafficked area southwest of Tucson.

The $20 million virtual fence pilot project remains on hold because software designed to integrate the results of sensor hits, radar readings and camera sightings wasn't working correctly. A glitch in the programming has kept it from providing a common operating picture for agents, who plan to use it to spot and capture illegal entrants and smugglers.

Because of that, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff told a congressional committee last month that he would withhold further payment to Boeing, the prime contractor, and declined to accept the system until he was satisfied.

That testing is now set for the last week in October, Benson said. Boeing did not return calls to The Associated Press seeking comment.

The virtual fence is being tested first in Arizona, the focal point for illegal crossings into the United States from Mexico. But plans call for installing 1,800 such towers along both the Mexican and Canadian borders.

Boeing shares fell 35 cents Wednesday to close at $95.59.

http://www.newsmax.com/us/virtual_fence ... 41815.html

MW
    Loaded with sensors, radar and sophisticated cameras, nine towers along a 28-mile section are designed to detect illegal immigrants and drug smugglers coming through the heavily trafficked area southwest of Tucson.
    What good is a so-called virtual fence going to do if there isn't a physical fence in place to hold the illegal crossers at bay long enough for BP agent to respond. I'm of the opinion most illegal crossers will be long gone by the time our BP arrives at the site of detection.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

It will be virtually ineffective.
    <div>"The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite."- James Madison, The Federalist Papers No.49</div>

Now, if the sensors set off an electrically charged field that would stun them until Border Patrol officers could get there.......................I could deal with that

While I have some background in the subject matter, and generally do support many - but not all - technological applications to solve problems...

I do believe a 'virtual fence' will provide 'virtual security' (eg. no 'real' security). I would like to see a 'virtual fence' in support of a physical barrier (eg. 'real fence'). The combination of both would be very secure.

I fear that the letting of these 'virtual security' contracts is more about DHS contractors landing their big $$$ deals and the security of the country is a mere 'nice-to-have' afterthought.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Cakers wrote:

Now, if the sensors set off an electrically charged field that would stun them until Border Patrol officers could get there.......................I could deal with that
    Great plan, however, I believe you failed to consider the response from the ACLU, MALDEF, etc. Such a plan would load their coffers.

PhredE wrote:

I do believe a 'virtual fence' will provide 'virtual security' (eg. no 'real' security). I would like to see a 'virtual fence' in support of a physical barrier (eg. 'real fence'). The combination of both would be very secure.
    I agree.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Did anyone see "Coneheads", the movie? In it, the head of INS shows his assistant how he's going to build an electric fence along the border. It's very funny when he demonstrates on a model, zapping people.

Then, the assistant (David Spade) is sitting at the desk with all the foreign people there, and they're talking in different languages, and he says, "please, speak English, I only do well with English", and he rolls his eyes.

Of course, it's all about the "illegal immigrants" from another planet, the Coneheads. Beldar (Dan Ackroyd)also buys papers to give him a fake SS# so he can work.

I'm normally against the use of devices like this, however, all they would have to do is use that HERF (microwave) gun they keep threatening to use on peace rallies. Someone crosses the border, fire the HERF gun at them automatically till they run back across.

JRB
    Just think of how much fence they could have built with all that money. Must be backed by the Senate.